The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

27 posts Page 2 of 2
Amanda Salis was my diet guru before I found 5:2 so it makes me really happy to read of her endorsing it. She is so right about what she says about 5:2 helping us to relearn to recognise hunger and satiety signals and to find ways to comfort ourselves other than eating. I do eat less than before on non fast days. As for the dietician, she obviously hasn't tried it or talked to anyone who has and it is disturbing that a person with such a low level of understanding should be paid to offer such silly advice.
It is pretty clear that the dietician has no idea what 5:2 actually entails. IMHO, all this article does is let people doing 5:2 feel good about doing 5:2 and let people who think fasting isn't a good idea feel justified in thinking it's just a fad/not good for you/not worth finding out more because clearly you'll just wind up eating pizza.
What a right load of old twaddle that dietician was talking, not worth the virtual paper it is written on.
She obviously has an extraordinarily low opinion of her clients by the way she talks about them. As a dietician she should be looking at recent research and recommending whatever works. Love to see her opinion in the 'great fat debate'!
Thank you very much for that link. Living in the U.S., I have no idea who Amanda Sallis is, other than her impressive title of Neuroscientist, but I loved her remarks about 5:2. It is obvious that the dietician was clueless, with her remarks about folks overeating biscuits vs. appetite regulation.

I have read extensively about 5:2, and I am convinced it will work for me. In the 2 Day Diet book, Dr. Harvie states that two days of consecutive low cal/low carb fasting (which I am going to do) resets and regulates the appetite, so that you really know what true hunger is. I admit I did only one day of the low cal low carb fasting last week, and I was shocked at how much more energy I had, considering I am so fat and tired all the time now. And because I kept my protein high (50 grams) and carbs low (<40 grams), I was not that hungry. I mean it was doable.

Tomorrow I'll do two days of the fasting. I love reading fasting articles, so thanks again.

I wish dieticians wouldn't be so judgmental if they really have no experience with fasting.
@Daisychain if you have time google Amanda as it's interesting to read about her research into weightloss. Also she has battled with weight herself so she understands.
As for the airy fairy stuff - I've never actually used a circular saw so I'm safe to fast :lol:
Daisy, most of us alternate fasting days with regular eating days. It's much, much easier!! For example, I fast Monday, eat normally on Tuesday and Wednesday, and then fast again on Thursday.
Not sure that the dietiticen even understands the concept of fasting as she talks about three meals on a fast day, which would involve very little fasting and would be hard for most of us to sustain- it would be nice if they had got someone who knew what they were talking about!
I thought that too eating three meals is hardly fasting but then that's the concept I think most people fail to comprehend that fact that people on this WOE skip meals. We have had it drummed into us by various professionals that 3 meals a day is the way to go. My friend works in a nursery the other day she was saying the kids eat every two hours. Breakfast at 8 snack at 10 lunch at 12 snack at 2 tea at 4. That's the eating we are teaching young kids.
Being one of the people who could easily less than a year ago scoff a whole packet of biscuits since doing this WOE it has changed my eating habits but then I wanted to change. No diet or WOE is going to work if the person doesn't want to change so perhaps her clients are made up of those types of people.
What? They are feeding nursery kids every 2 hours?? No wonder more and more kids are obese, that's madness!
When my children were toddlers, I always had snacks about for them "just in case". The snacks were healthy (fruit, nuts, crackers, sushi, yoghurt etc) but still taught them that there was always food for if you got slightly peckish or bored or fiddly or whatever. Now they are teenage boys, and are very active so still burning more than they're eating, but I worry about whether I've set them up for later overeating problems. Probably the only thing I regret about my parenting.
As a teacher I was always super aware that it was absolutely forbidden to keep a child in for detention at recess or lunch time and stop them from eating their recess or lunch - and then what they had to eat was absolute crap! What happened to the adage we grew up on of not eating between meals or spoiling your tea?
Brand-ie wrote: I thought that too eating three meals is hardly fasting but then that's the concept I think most people fail to comprehend that fact that people on this WOE skip meals.

Most, but not all member do that (I always have been doing three meals a day: in the order of 150, 150 and 300 cals.) Worked perfectly for me. See also an earlier topic with some data from our questionnaire (April 2013), where you can see that 12% of the members have 3 meals.
http://forum.fastday.com/5-2-diet-chat- ... t9887.html
27 posts Page 2 of 2