The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

22 posts Page 2 of 2
CreakyPete wrote: Rawkaren - I would dispute that alcohol is metabolized like sugar, it seems to be the other way round; the fructose component of sugar has to be metabolized like alcohol, in the liver, which is why Lustig is dead against sugar...

Also, alcohol carries a value of 7KCal per gram, sugar is less than 4KCal

I expect @Carorees will put me straight!

Thanks Pete. Very helpful. I sometimes think that there is little point in not having sugar given my alcohol undoes all of my good work!
Caroline and others,

Thank you so much for your replies! Yes, I am definitely starting low carb today along with 5:2. What got me thinking about this was two things: 1) That I KNOW carbs make me starving, even "healthy" carbs and 2) I asked myself why Dr. Mattson chose low carb Atkins shakes to use in his new study, since there are so many shakes on the market. I know there is science I don't understand, like fat burning ketones, etc. I just ordered The 2 Day Diet by Dr. Harvie from amazon. No way I can follow the 5 day food exchange thing, but I want the book for the science and I like that the diet Dr. Harvie promotes is lower carb.

Down with the carbs starting today! Thank you again. I was so hungry and miserable the other day from having a huge pizza the day before, it was just awful. Never again. It wasn't worth feeling that way.
Hi. I'm also on low carbs.

I've not eaten bread or potatoes since staring 3 weeks ago.

It's hard to put my weight loss down to the combination, but if you look on my tracker, you'll see my progress.

Paul :geek:
I've pretty much ditched carbs completely on my fast days - with only 500 calories to spare I'd rather use them on vegetables and protein. On feed days I've cut right back. Not eaten potatoes or pasta in weeks, apart from a small helping of oven chips last week. I've started baking my own sourdough bread after a friend gave me a starter - I've found two slices very satisfying and also much easier to digest (no bloating!). One thing I have definitely noticed - since doing all this my weight loss is steadier if slow and less prone to plateauing.
I wish I was...but I don't know how to, I'm trying to be vegan and am having difficulty combining the two. I do have low carb fast days, but the rest of the time I eat far too many carbs, I need to find some good low carb vegan recipes!
You could do no better than reading through fatdog's amazing thread of veggie low carb, it's full of recipes and wonderful things :0)
Fatdog's thread IS wonderful! I am going back to read each and every post when I have some time tomorrow.

Low carb vegetarianism is definitely doable!
22 posts Page 2 of 2