The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Apps
18 Sep 2013, 06:33
I am about to launch myself into the world of smartphones on Friday with a new Apple and I am wondering if there are apps anyone use that are particularly helpful and fun to use. Am I allowed to ask this?
Re: Apps
18 Sep 2013, 06:44
Apps in general or diet/health ones?

If the latter, I suggest MyFitnessPal so you can log what you eat. The database is amazingly vast!
18 Sep 2013, 07:00
I use My Fitness Pal too. If you are UK based its has more UK foods on it. I used to use Tap and Track. Still very good but US biased.
18 Sep 2013, 07:20
Runkeeper, if you plan to exercise.

Fitbit, if you get the Fitbit step counter, which I strongly recommend if you want to raise your general activity level.

MightyGrocery, great for ensuring you shop with a plan, avoiding the impulse of buying bad stuff. Saves a lot of time and effort as well.
18 Sep 2013, 07:41
Don't know about messaging/contracts where you are but WhatsApp is a must-have here.

And for fun (and if available where you are) Soundhound. If you hear some music playing but don't know what it is, open Soundhound, have it 'listen' and it finds the music for you from iTunes. You can download (and pay) or just make a note. Stops all those annoying "what's that song" questions.

Another fun, but must-have for me, one is TuneIn Radio Pro. I can listen to the BBC and thousands of radio stations around the world, both live and recordings.
18 Sep 2013, 10:22
My favourite apps

Diet related:
TrueWeight for daily weighing and trendlines (or Libra for android users)
A calorie counter app (my fitness pal or fat secret or calorie count)
Workout trainer (create your own workouts)

Other:
Shazam (like SoundHound, invaluable when you hear a tune and want to know what it is!)
BBC iPlayer
BBC news
Facebook (though the app is pretty rubbish)
Amazon kindle
Google sky map
TuneIn Radio
Convertpad (not sure if you can get this on iOS ...converts lengths, volumes, weights, temperature etc)
CoPilotGPS (sat nav with downloaded maps rather than relying on a 3G signal)
Words with friends (I'm a scrabble addict...this feeds my addiction)
Drop7 (amazingly addictive game)
Wiki Game
18 Sep 2013, 12:23
Michael H wrote: Runkeeper, if you plan to exercise.

Fitbit, if you get the Fitbit step counter, which I strongly recommend if you want to raise your general activity level.

MightyGrocery, great for ensuring you shop with a plan, avoiding the impulse of buying bad stuff. Saves a lot of time and effort as well.

I definitely agree with Fitbit! I've upgraded to an iphone 5 purely so I can have a fitbit. I've got the fitbit one and it is incredibly motivating to see how active you are being (plus it can track your sleep too).

Another plus is that there is a fitbit group on this forum you can join and you can measure your activity levels against others in the group.

Runkeeper is great fun too. I now have friends on that app, who can comment on my runs and give me a boost when I need one.

...and for fun, you can't beat Candy Crush!
7 posts Page 1 of 1