The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Are you Addicted to Sugar???
15 Oct 2013, 17:47
Thought for the day (courtesy of Yahoo):

Do you find comfort in dessert or reach for pasta or pizza when you're feeling down? Do you always crave something sweet or caffeinated at that 3pm crash during the workday? There is a good chance you are addicted to sugar. In fact, recent research has shown similarities between the over consumption of sugars and drug addiction. One study found that sugar cravings were even more demanding than cocaine cravings.

What specifically is it about these simple carbohydrates that makes them so desirable? Eating sugar releases opioids and dopamine into the body. Both of these chemicals basically send pleasure signals to your brain and help your body block pain. Sounds similar to the effects of narcotics, right? Consuming sugar makes you feel happy, which is the reason why we reach for it again and again. In fact, the evidence of the addictive nature of sugar along with our excessive consumption of it caused scientists from the University of California at San Francisco to recommend that the use of sugar be regulated the same way alcohol and tobacco are—sugar as a controlled substance.

Even if you don't have a sweet tooth, it doesn't mean you don't have a sugar addiction. Savory foods like pizza, pasta, or white bread are all high in sugar. White flour and white rice are just as habit forming. When whole grains like wheat and brown rice are stripped of their fiber, what remains is a simple carbohydrate that is rapidly absorbed by your body just like pure white sugar.
Here are more signs that it may be time to break your sugar addiction for good.

1. Do you crave sweets or "comfort foods" like pasta or pizza when you are feeling down?
2. Do you ever feel guilty about the amount of sugar or starchy carbs you eat?
3. Have you ever tried to cut back on the amount of sugar you eat and been unsuccessful?
4. Are you unable to finish a meal or celebrate an event or birthday without needing to eat something sweet?
5. Do you crash every day in the late afternoon and look for something sweet to eat or drink as a pick-me-up?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you are most likely addicted to sugar. The most effective way to rid yourself of your addiction is to do a sugar detox. Use these strategies to rid yourself of your sugar dependence for good and start feeling and looking better instantly!

• Ditch the artificial sweeteners (this includes diet soda). Artificial sweeteners are 200-700 times sweeter than regular sugar and cause an imbalance in your palate, causing you to need more sugar, real or fake, to be satisfied.
• Become a label reading pro! Sugars are sneaky and go by a variety of names. Learn sugar's clever disguises and make sure they aren't in products that you wouldn't expect them to be in like salad dressings and marinara sauce.
• Avoid foods that will pique your craving and cause you to eat even more sugar or starchy carbohydrates. These include foods made with white flour, starchy vegetables like corn, potatoes, and winter squash, and high glycemic fruits like bananas, pineapple, and watermelon. Instead eat green leafy vegetables and high fiber fruits like apples, blueberries, and citrus.
YES YES YES!!!!! The bane of my life.. Unless I go completely sugar free, then life is sweet and my cravings are a mere dot in the distance.. But one little crumb of the white stuff and i'm trapped again! I've suffered with all sorts of addiction throughout my life, and sugar/carb addiction is the only one where I tend to relapse and once I do, i'm right back there, in the throes of addiction! It's horrible! Self-destructive, consuming, shame-inducing and rationale-robbing!! :curse:
Me to, I have never found anything to be too sweet for me. I just crave sweet stuff every day. At the moment I am trying to have no sugar, flour, rice, pasta or bread from Mon through to Thur and have a bit over the weekend but I may have to bite the bullet and follow the above plan.
I am better than i was..since 4:2 i no longer have that awful 4 o clock dip where i felt dreadful..cold,empty,miserable
Glad thats gone but i still have a way to go to cut out sugar completely
No wonder they call it " pure white and deadly" x
Maybe....but don't tell anyone
I'm, just the same, a very very bad sweet tooth, some days I only seem to eat sweet things, I can leave a cooked meal as not hungry yet before I know it my hand has gone in the cupboard and I'm eating sweets, yet I have never had a a sugar crush, the only crush I have is that I want more and more, but when I'm on a fasting I'm so good I don't even touch sweets, I think that's because I know I can always have it tomorrow, a very very bad habit that's hard to stop.
Gave it up 8 weeks ago and can honestly say it has changed my life. No longer a slave to cravings. Sorry to sound smug but this is a big deal for me. :victory: :victory:
rawkaren wrote: Gave it up 8 weeks ago and can honestly say it has changed my life. No longer a slave to cravings. Sorry to sound smug but this is a big deal for me. :victory: :victory:

Can you explain how you went about this please? Do you not even eat fruit now? I have such a sweet tooth that I really don't have a clue where to start so I'd love to have some advice on how and where to start, thanks.
Yes, rawkaren, please share any tips you have - I think many members could really use your help.
suddenly a bunch of Richard Pryor jokes come to mind

I'm not addicted to sugar. I just like the way it tastes.

I've been using for 15 years, but I'm not hooked.

I have a bit of a sweet tooth. It can get out of a hand, but I can control it.
As I've said previously, 'sweet' things do not bother me at all. Don't get me wrong, I like chocolate and cake but I don't crave them at all.
I do however just love my white carbs, especially rice. I have started using soy and linseed bread rather than white and I try not to eat too much pasta. Pizza is also one I crave but more the toppings than the base.
I do tend to always have 'sugar free' drinks and yesterday after having a bottle of full sugar ice tea felt rather sick so I think I will have to stick to sugar free.
Lil :heart:
lovemyparrot wrote: Yes, rawkaren, please share any tips you have - I think many members could really use your help.

Ok. I think its different for everyone but this is how I did it. I did this over a two week period rather than cold turkey.
First I immediately stopped eating anything containing sugar and all it's derivatives.
I was meticulous about packaged ingredients. It's really hard as anything manufactured has sugar in it, eg most brands of bacon, cold meats etc. even roast chicken slices! Also be wary of all types of sugar and how it is described. I dropped the lot and made more things at home so I knew what I was eating.

After a week I accidentally tasted some ice cream I was making and suffered the most appalling headache/sugar rush which made me realise what it does to your body.
The next thing I did was to drop all white carbs except soughdough bread which I still have once a week on a Saturday morning.
Then I made a big step and gave up grains as they are quite carby. I found this quite easy and now bake with coconut flour and almond flour. I made hairy dieters sugar free tea loaf with white flour at the weekend and tasted a slice. It gave me an asthma attack and I could feel water retention building. Again a good reminder.
Then I reduced my sweet fruit count to a couple of times a week.
I have upped my veggie intake.
I dropped skimmed milk as I read it can give an insulin response. In tandem I upped my fat intake using coconut oil and butter in coffee (or with cream when I'm out ). Overall my fat intake is higher now but it's good fats. Other people replace their sugar with proteins but I remembered Moseley's IGF-1 experiment so the gap has been filled with fat, mostly coconut.
Then I started to lower my carb count to less than 100g on most days but not the weekend
I gave not given up fructose as I think that is insane and I like my fruit. However I am careful only to have a mango or a banana as a treat and to be honest, that is very satisfying now. A date now tastes ridiculously sweet and to think I used to eat them by the bucketload.
I have not given up alcohol. I wish I could because it has the same effect on the liver as sugar, but I stick to red wine and occasionally vodka as these don't play havoc so much with blood sugar levels.

I have no cravings now (it takes about 5 to 10 days to lose them). This makes 16:8 and absolute doddle and fast days bearable.

I read a lot of paleo websites as they eschew sugar and grains but most eat a lot of meat so I ignored that part. However lots of super tips around.
I did it cold turkey, no chocolate for a month and also removed lots of other things like cakes and biscuits. I eat far more fruit now which I find sweet. I used to eat loads of sugary foods but now rarely do. It took enormous will power but I did it!
Well done Karen and bobs power to you. That will be my next hurdle. I am sticking to no sugar on my liquid fasting days so there is my start. Will have to rustle up some coconut flour. I am finding I am using a lot less honey. What you have describes Karen sound like a good thing to trial. Thank for the long informative post
And I forgot to say that I can now smell and taste sugar at 50 paces, eg taste mustard with sugar in it, smell sugar in a supermarket. It smells vile now :shock:
18 posts Page 1 of 2