The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

18 posts Page 1 of 2
Best day to weigh?
06 Apr 2016, 07:52
Is it best to weigh after a fast day or does it not really matter?
My weigh in day is Monday and if it's better to weigh after a fast day, it will mean fasting on Sunday, which I don't really want to do. If this is the case I will change my weigh in day :)
I am a returnee to 5:2 and have really only dabbled in it previously. I want to get it right this time

Thanks
Re: Best day to weigh?
06 Apr 2016, 08:06
Hi Charlie,welcome back to fasting! I think most people like to weigh the day after a fast for obvious reasons!
Many weigh evey morning and then take an average.
Dont forget measuring is just as if not more important than weighing...your tape measure is often a better friend than yr scales as it often shows a loss when the scales dont xx
06 Apr 2016, 08:15
Hey, thanks for your reply!
Yes, I wondered if I was asking the obvious! lol
I am a daily weigher anyway but I still like to have an 'official' weigh in day,
In regards to measuring, I have never bothered. I go by my clothes :)

Thanks again
06 Apr 2016, 08:17
Good Morning Charlie
I'm still fairly new tbh, but it's worked so well for me so far.
I joined in January and have lost 12lbs so far :smile:
I fast on a Monday and a Thursday and weigh in on the Friday morning, when the scales show a loss it sets me up for the Friday and the weekend.....there's no feeling like it :smile:
Good luck Charlie
06 Apr 2016, 08:30
Hi again Charlie Going by your clothes is a great idea,probably gives the most realistic reading of All X
And like @cathykaty said,no feeling like it than knowing your hard work has paid off! :wink:
06 Apr 2016, 08:39
Hi CathyKaty!
I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing...fasting Mon and Thurs and weighing on Friday. It means I can relax a bit at the weekend and pull it back on Monday with a fast day.
Yes that's what I'll do!

Thanks and well done on your loss so far!
06 Apr 2016, 08:42
Candice...being ever so slightly obsessive, I would always be wondering if I measured in the same place as last time or did I pull the tape tighter this time?!! lol
I think clothes are more accurate...for me anyway :)
06 Apr 2016, 09:49
Daily weighing is the only way I can honestly keep and eye on my progress. I input into a trend weight app 'true weight" it evens out the humps and tells me what I'm really weighing that day.
But having said that the clothes and tape measure are the best way to see progress in my opinion.
06 Apr 2016, 09:54
I don't think it's an obvious question. I think it's a great question. I struggle with it myself. I was afraid of getting falsely low results from weighing in after a fast day. But, I think as long as you do it the same day/same time every week, wearing approximately the same thing, it will all even out.
I also tried the Libra app, weighing every day and found that to be very stressful. But, a lot of people like that. I think that might be better for me, if/when I get to maintenance mode!
06 Apr 2016, 11:09
I always weigh on a Monday at the start of my fasting week( my first weigh in before starting 5:2 was also on a Monday). This tends to be my highest weight of the week but I think gives a true reflection of weight loss rather that water loss. I also use Libra on a daily basis which can be quite reasssuring if I get a particularly high weight one day
06 Apr 2016, 12:01
I am with @lil on this one. When I did 5:2 my Fast days were Monday and Thursday, and I would weigh on Monday morning, after 3 days of "normal" eating. My thinking was that if I had lost, it would be real, and I could pat myself on the back and keep going. If I had not lost, then I definitely needed to fast!
07 Apr 2016, 13:14
Thanks for all your replies....they've been helpful.
I have decided I will still weigh in after my 2nd fast day and as long as the general trend is downwards, it shouldn't matter too much.
Also, I'm going to have my 2nd fast day on a Friday and weigh on Saturday in order to shorten the weekend. In other words, I don't want to weigh in on Friday and start the weekend then! Its all in the mind I know but if works, that's fine with me!
07 Apr 2016, 13:25
Hey there, although I'm a little late to the discussion, I weigh weekly, the morning after my 2nd fast of the week. Yes, it might be exaggerating the average loss, but for me it's a really important motivator to see that the fasts have done some good! I don't way after my first fast of the week, as that one is normally just about undoing whatever damage I have done over the weekend!

Just like @cblasz, I tried daily weighing and the Libra app but stopped because I got stressed with it. In my case, my weight fluctuates a lot because of water retention (damn lady-hormones..) and whereas I can feel in myself when it is just bloat and not 'real' weight gain, the app just records the numbers from the scales so it got really demotivating that my trend weight kept creeping back up.
07 Apr 2016, 13:59
I don't have a problem weighing every day, I have done it for as long as I can remember, whether I am dieting or not!
I know some people disagree but I find in the long term it has prevented me from ever gaining a lot of weight and I can almost predict what I will weigh each morning as I know my body so well now and how it reacts to certain food.
Usually, when I'm dieting, I choose a day for an 'official' weigh in and that is the reading I will take, in this instance, it will be after my 2nd fast.
07 Apr 2016, 20:54
Charlie10 wrote: I don't have a problem weighing every day, I have done it for as long as I can remember, whether I am dieting or not!
I know some people disagree but I find in the long term it has prevented me from ever gaining a lot of weight and I can almost predict what I will weigh each morning as I know my body so well now and how it reacts to certain food.
Usually, when I'm dieting, I choose a day for an 'official' weigh in and that is the reading I will take, in this instance, it will be after my 2nd fast.

I don't mind casually weighing just to see. But, when you start actually recording it every day and watching the trend line, it's more stressful, especially when you are struggling to lose weight despite your best efforts. I do think it would be helpful during maintenance. One time it told me, I'd reach my goal weight in 2118!!!
18 posts Page 1 of 2