The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
First fast-day today, so blood sugar levels low and really annoying blurred vision. I understand that it'll settle down but nevertheless - a darn nuisance. Can't even see if I'm spolling the wrods in this host corrictly...
Hi Ianfreeman, I'm no expert, but are you eating enough protein to keep your blood sugar more stable? I know my husband really needs protein or else he gets unsteady. Hopefully one of the nerdy types or Miffy will comment. Good luck. :smile: :smile:
Oh dear, that doesn't sound good!
But on the plus side, you managed your first day! If I were you I'd go to bed for the lie down now! :bugeyes:
Tis yur fingers that do the speln here, not yur eyes.

Check this post:

5-2-diet-chat-f6/topic1655.html

Or try a search here for "blurred vision" to see 9 other posts on the subject.

HTH
Ok, I think if you're getting low blood sugar, fasting may not be for you! The only time I got low blood sugar problems from not eating was when my thyroid had gone bad (really bad!).

Have you had your labs checked with your primary care provider? You should tell them about this and have them check your sugars and thyroid.

I would not write this off as a "side effect" -- it's not how healthy people react to fasting for a few hours!!!
Tracieknits wrote: I would not write this off as a "side effect" -- it's not how healthy people react to fasting for a few hours!!!

I agree. It's a good idea to come on here and ask about side effects. It worries me sometimes that folk will assume that any symptom they get is only due to 5:2. You can have something going wrong independantly. Take care!
What is interesting here is that I suffered blurred vision episodes prior to starting 5:2. Since I starting fasting I have not has one episode. Go figure.
I agree with Tracieknits and Chook well worth getting your eyes checked. Excellent link back ADFnFuel a great read. Just takes a trip to your optometrist to start sussing it out.
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. I have myself checked regularly as I'm on medication for hypertension and high cholesterol. I'm pretty sure the low blood sugar level is caused by the diet and I'm not concerned about it. Also I had my eyes tested a few months ago. In any case, it's a lot better this morning. Thanks for the link to the other thread. We're pretty hardy, we Brits! :starving:
I'm glad your vision has improved this morning Ian but I agree with others - I think any visual disturbances should be checked out, regardless of whether you had your eyes tested a few months ago or not. Eye problems, or underlying health issues, can develop at anytime. Better to be safe than sorry :)
Thanks again for all your interest. I saw the doctor yesterday. He's pretty sure the blurred vision is caused by the diet so has recommended I wait a few days before doing a fast day. If it recurs, he says I should look at alternative weight loss methods. I'm planning to do a fast day on Wednesday so will report back.
:bugeyes: :geek: I get blurred vision but I think I am goggle eyed from too much ipad on this forum :cool: Jokes aside why would fasting cause blurred vision ........................anyone?
Low blood sugar and possibly also dehydration, the doctor said. He recommended green/herbal teas and Berocca plus lots of water (as we already know).
the keeping up of fluids definitely very important so let us know how you go with better hydration. The berocca is an interesting twist ...what is that for?
Looks like it is mostly vitamin Bs which would be good for keeping energy up etc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berocca

Also 'sharpness' but I don't think they mean of the eyes here :wink: but you never know, worth a try for all the other stuff!
17 posts Page 1 of 2