The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

42 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Carbs on eating days
19 May 2014, 11:57
I am definitely a carb-sensitive person @philxjr. I pile on the weight when I eat the white carbs (read cake, cookies,crackers, bread, pasta, potatoes, etc.). I also have a volume control problem when I get stuck into them. I just can't STOP ! That last happened about 4 weeks ago and I gained 4 pounds overnight! It was only 2 pounds a few days later so water retention is definitely a part of it.
My last experience was over 10 years ago when I had lost about 15 pounds on Atkins (not an easy diet for life, I know). I then went to Peru for a 10 week course in tropical medicine. Peruvians love their carbs. Every meal has rice and potatoes and corn on the plate! It was impossible to live low carb and I came home with all the 15 pounds back on :cry: .

I definitely think, as @Nessie noted, there are different kinds of people. We all know them; they live on carbs and are slim and trim. I am not one of them. I think you need to be quite active with lots of exercise per day to eat lots of carbs and stay normal weight. I am not one of them either :grin:
I am currently trying to keep to 60g of carbs/day, less on fast days as they take up too many calories in the 500 I'm allowed. I would recommend looking around Mark's Daily Apple site for more info on low-carbing. He does sell supplements but otherwise there is lots of good FREE info there. Good luck @philxjr
19 May 2014, 12:23
Since I went low carb (about 60-80 g per day) I don't have any difficulty keeping my weight down and even managed to trim some fat off :) I do eat rice or potatoes and even an odd teaspoon of sugar in my coffe, but I make sure I don't go over 100 g of carbs in total for the day. It is possible to eat carbs (read enjoy life) and stay below 100 g, unless you eat cake... Like I did this past weekend. The difference on the scales was immediate and drastic :shock:
19 May 2014, 15:29
I eat a lot less carb than I did before I began fasting, I've more or less ditched bread and cereals, but have not completely forbidden myself to have them. Reading Grain Brain put me off, regardless of any effect they may have on weight. Ditto sugars. Low Carb is not the solution to everyone's weight issues, but if I recall right Atkins said it worked for 70%, so may well be worth a month's trial. I have never been as low as the Inductiol level of 20 grams of carbs per day, I find fasting helps me get away with a bit more :lol:
19 May 2014, 15:52
I'm with you Phill i love carbs i can't imagine a day without a sandwich, or potatoes in some form, i also love a pasta dish. But i really should look into it because i have no idea how many carbs i'm consuming.
I have really just been concentrating on my calorie intake :oops:
Off to the low carb tent for some learning for me i think :wink:
19 May 2014, 16:23
I low carb on fast days and I love it. I no longer feel bloated and instead I just feel happy and satisfied.

I have recently started following the paleo way of eating and found that so far, it has boosted my weight loss nicely.
19 May 2014, 18:06
I feel for you Phil..i love my carbs too..i find is life hard enough without cutting out bread,which i love, and spuds...and cakes :razz:
But i think i ' ll need to tackle the carb question sooner or later,as low carb does seem to help so much with weight loss and good health in general x
19 May 2014, 18:23
I only touch carbs at the weekend - meat veg and dairy only during the week. I feel great, and relish the treats at the weekend. If you're calorie counting, avoiding carbs means you can fit in the max nutrients for your calorie allowance
19 May 2014, 19:10
Thanks again for all your input. I'm going to try reduce carb intake a bit at a time. Hard to even think about it at the mo after a day of fasting. I think I could eat a whole French stick at the mo lol
19 May 2014, 19:10
Thanks again for all your input. I'm going to try reduce carb intake a bit at a time. Hard to even think about it at the mo after a day of fasting. I think I could eat a whole French stick at the mo lol
19 May 2014, 19:24
Hi Phil,

I have cut back a little on carbs, but not even THAT much. For a while now I've worked to eat whole grain carbs - whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc. I eat sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, etc. Now I'm more aware of carbs and have tried to make a few adjustments. For example, I buy whole wheat low carb wraps for sandwiches and such. The goal is to try to decrease the carbs and increase the protein. For example, I used to have 2 whole wheat waffles with blueberries for breakfast, now I have one, and I have 2 turkey sausage links with it. Fruit is still good for you, but you can also try to add protein, like have a banana with some peanut butter.

The main thing I've tried to cut back on as far as carbs is the straight up junk food carbs like sweets and chips and such and try to have healthier snacks.

Remember that when you count carbs you can deduct the fiber. Do you use My Fitness Pal. It's great because you can see exactly how many carbs you have had and set goals, etc.

My goal right now is just to stay under 200g/day (close to 150 if possible.) and I've just been more aware of the carbs when I plan my meals.

Hope that helps!
19 May 2014, 19:27
Good approach, as you will find that there are hugh differences between people, you just have to try and see. I eat substantial amounts of carbs (bread for breakfast and lunch, pasta and others for dinner) and 5:2 worked perfect for me (see progress charts) and maintaining is no problem (did not fast for the first three months this year and now on 6:1). So another example that for some carbs is not the issue.
19 May 2014, 19:53
Makes a lot of sense ,thanks @cblasz I like the idea of replacing the bad carbs with some lower carb stuff. Think I'll go that way, I used to use myfitness pal so for cals but good idea to monitor carbs until I get used to quantities . Also @p-jk your progress. Hart looks good quite a steep incline. Well done
19 May 2014, 20:07
@julianna i too have plantar fascilitis ..fun isnt it!
Have been doing some simple exercises i found on youtube and today i havent had any problems touch wood x
Thus was helpful too
http://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/sites/default/fi ... ciitis.pdf
19 May 2014, 20:30
I have orthotics for my plantar fasciitis. I have no problems now!
19 May 2014, 20:41
CandiceMarie wrote: @julianna i too have plantar fascilitis ..fun isnt it!
Have been doing some simple exercises i found on youtube and today i havent had any problems touch wood x
Thus was helpful too
http://www.rnoh.nhs.uk/sites/default/fi ... ciitis.pdf

I had that a few years ago. I remember the pain esp after resting it or when getting up in the morning and not even being able to put pressure on it. It went eventually thank god
42 posts Page 2 of 3