Re: CHEERS....HIC!
25 Nov 2013, 17:13
Gotta love the Daily Fail :lol:
25 Nov 2013, 18:00
Don't think my Baileys will qualify!
26 Nov 2013, 07:51
... Couldn't resist this (last post for a while ...)

Did you know that Baileys are now sponsoring the Women's Prize for Fiction? (Formerly the Orange Prize)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: 8-) 8-)
26 Nov 2013, 07:56
hmm… the guy who wrote the book also wrote the article. it would be interesting to see what other scientists think…

(but wouldn't that be great if wine doesn't make us gain weight!)
26 Nov 2013, 08:29
[quote="Silverdarling"]... Couldn't resist this (last post for a while ...)

Did you know that Baileys are now sponsoring the Women's Prize for Fiction? (Formerly the Orange Prize)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :bugeyes: :bugeyes: 8-) 8-)[/quote..............................

If I could write fiction I would enter but I don't have the imagination, shame , as I love Baileys :cry:

Ballerina x :heart:
26 Nov 2013, 08:51
Thanks Ballerina, interesting reading! :smile: I seem to remember Ewan McGregor saying in an interview once that he lost weight for a role ('Trainspotting' I think it was) by drinking lots of wine...
26 Nov 2013, 08:58
Oooh so what do you recommend for a nice drop of red wine that is also inexpensive, I'm talking under a fiver here :0)
26 Nov 2013, 09:00
My understanding was that alcohol can be used as fuel by the body but not stored. However, using alcohol as fuel means that you're not using the carbs and fat you've eaten for fuel, and they can be stored as fat. So I suppose, technically speaking, alcohol doesn't cause weight gain but you still have to count its calories in your daily total. And of course many alcoholic drinks contain carbs too.

I'd better try to track down the studies mentioned and review my understanding!

Make mine a Harvey Wallbanger!
26 Nov 2013, 09:04
Azureblue wrote: Oooh so what do you recommend for a nice drop of red wine that is also inexpensive, I'm talking under a fiver here :0)

Waitrose have a Hardy's anniversary shiraz on offer at the moment at 5.99 down from 8.99
26 Nov 2013, 09:11
Aldi do a couple of good bottles for 3.99 as well :like: I always go for what's on offer otherwise, so that I can get a decent wine. I'm a bit funny though, I've got a 'rule' nothing under 13% :bugeyes: The bottles I get in Aldi are 14ers :lol:
26 Nov 2013, 09:32
Sorry didn't finish reading the article I was too busy drinking nonfattening Pinot Gris :bugeyes:
26 Nov 2013, 10:28
carorees wrote: Alcohol can be used as fuel by the body but not stored. However, using alcohol as fuel means that you're not using the carbs and fat you've eaten for fuel, and they can be stored as fat. So I suppose, technically speaking, alcohol doesn't cause weight gain but you still have to count its calories in your daily total. And of course many alcoholic drinks contain carbs too.

Make mine a Harvey Wallbanger!

@carorees Are you familiar with the studies mentioned in the article, particularly in the later ones mentioned that aren't just correlation studies? I'd be interested in your take on those...
26 Nov 2013, 11:35
I have known a couple of alcoholics over the years and both were skin and bone, I always took it that they didn't eat, maybe I was wrong. Years ago when I was trying self hypnosis I had Paul Mckennas book I can make you thin and he said in it not to worry about alcohol it's calories were empty or some such words. Well cheers folks here's to a merry hic Christmas .
19 posts Page 1 of 2