The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Coffee.
22 Jun 2015, 11:36
Hi

Probably old hat to you guys but I read somewhere recently that coffee has links to "cortisol" production (prob not spelt right) which in turn is linked to blood sugar/insulin levels.

I must admit I did rely on coffee a bit at one time to get through fasts but I'm using hot water now. I have to say I think I have noticed the difference. I keep it to one, may be two cups now.

Incidentally does any one know what the caffeine content is in Morrison's roasted hazelnut coffee?

By the way , also, stress is also linked (?) to cortisol production (and in turn weight-gain, not just through [the obvious]snacking habits)
Re: Coffee.
22 Jun 2015, 17:28
One for you @carorees. I certainly know that stress for me stops me losing weight as my cortisol increases.
22 Jun 2015, 17:47
Just so newbies don't get the idea one can't have coffee on 5:2, I do have ONE CUP of black (Aeropress) coffee on light days...but then I seldom have more than 2 cups on any day, and find that more than one on a light day makes my tummy too acidy. So, I generally have my one cup of coffee followed by a large pot of green tea (fortunately, I like my coffee and tea plain). Note to newbies: Do NOT begin your "fasting" by limiting caffeine; you'll likely get headaches and then blame fasting! If you want to cut back, do so gradually on normal days. Obviously, overindulgence in caffeine is not good, as for anything else! I must say, however, that when I first heard about 5:2, the first thing I checked was "Can I have my coffee on a "fasting" day?"--if the answer had been no, 5:2 would have been a "no go," and that would've been a shame.
22 Jun 2015, 21:42
I drink heaps, even more when I was losing weight. No problem at all with weight loss.
22 Jun 2015, 22:00
I don't know why but when I started 52 it felt a natural journey to cut out coffee in preference of ye old builder tea and I felt so wonderful for making that choice. This year I have re-introduced coffee and it's not a great feeling for me, so I'm cutting it out again. Both options are caffeinated.
Perhaps I should just decaf it, we have every type of tea on offer at work........... including tasty ants etc from around the world. I'll think on it, tweaking choices can be difficult, who ever we are :wink:
22 Jun 2015, 22:24
Debs wrote: One for you @carorees. I certainly know that stress for me stops me losing weight as my cortisol increases.

At the beggining of the year I was having difficulties with a noise pollution issue which I had to take to my local MP (who was superb actually). During this period I couldn't shift the stuff or love nor money.
22 Jun 2015, 22:32
Lizbean wrote: I don't know why but when I started 52 it felt a natural journey to cut out coffee in preference of ye old builder tea and I felt so wonderful for making that choice. This year I have re-introduced coffee and it's not a great feeling for me, so I'm cutting it out again. Both options are caffeinated.
Perhaps I should just decaf it, we have every type of tea on offer at work........... including tasty ants etc from around the world. I'll think on it, tweaking choices can be difficult, who ever we are :wink:

Try just hot water.
That is boiled water straight out the kettle. For me it has to be spring water.
22 Jun 2015, 22:34
ferretgal wrote: Just so newbies don't get the idea one can't have coffee on 5:2, I do have ONE CUP of black (Aeropress) coffee on light days...but then I seldom have more than 2 cups on any day, and find that more than one on a light day makes my tummy too acidy. So, I generally have my one cup of coffee followed by a large pot of green tea (fortunately, I like my coffee and tea plain). Note to newbies: Do NOT begin your "fasting" by limiting caffeine; you'll likely get headaches and then blame fasting! If you want to cut back, do so gradually on normal days. Obviously, overindulgence in caffeine is not good, as for anything else! I must say, however, that when I first heard about 5:2, the first thing I checked was "Can I have my coffee on a "fasting" day?"--if the answer had been no, 5:2 would have been a "no go," and that would've been a shame.

Which is what I said?? ;-)
22 Jun 2015, 23:21
Try just hot water.
That is boiled water straight out the kettle. For me it has to be spring water.

Yes, my African colleagues drink hot water, I like sparkling cold .... I'll focus on no coffee/tea - I think I need to cut it out.
23 Jun 2015, 00:33
I don't know about the cortisol link, but coffee in general is believed to be good for you if you have 2-3 cups a day. I tend to have 3-4 and have had no trouble losing weight.

Some articles:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/12/upsho ... .html?_r=0
http://authoritynutrition.com/why-is-co ... d-for-you/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/1 ... 02133.html
23 Jun 2015, 14:51
There is a thread about coffee here: post221767.html

carorees wrote: Caffeine appears to promote fat burning to a small extent and is a major component of several supposed weight loss miracles such as green tea. This effect might be due to stimulation of adrenaline (epinephrine) release which raises blood sugar through converting fats to glucose in liver and lowers insulin sensitivity (increases insulin resistance). Thus, when caffeine is eaten with or followed by foods/drinks containing sugar/glucose/refined carbs it reduces insulin sensitivity (worsens insulin resistance) and causes blood glucose to rise higher.

Thus, while coffee consumption can increase insulin sensitivity and decrease diabetes risk in those without insulin resistance or diabetes, the consumption of caffeine in people with diabetes could increase the risk of diabetes complications. However, several studies found that coffee or caffeine without also having carbohydrate/sugar does not lead to significant changes in blood glucose or insulin.

So coffee and cake looks like not such a good idea :cry: but coffee instead of cake (or other carb laden food) is good :cool: but don't add sugar to your coffee! Or...stick to having decaf with your cakes :wink:
11 posts Page 1 of 1