The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
I was looking at another article on the BBC Good food site and stumbled on a late 2013 article about 5:2.. im sure its been posted here before not looking to comment on the article but see the jan 2014 comment about 5:2 and blood pressure

where did that come from as ive never heard of it. indeed i thought the antithesis was true.. that IF can lead to a reduced blood pressure level

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/what-52-diet
Like anything, you don't know what underlying causes there may be for raised blood pressure.
It's certainly had a positive effect on mine!
Mine too....it's gone back to normal after being high for 18 years!
Same here. I wonder if it was the "white coat" effect?
I went to donate blood the other day and my blood pressure was almost on the low side! Perhaps if people eat really poorly on the non-fast days it could lead to those type of results.
Mine has dropped from 120/90 to 110/70, for a still very Obese, 50 year old that is bloomin amazing!
Mine has dropped from 158/110 to 125/84 & I've been able to come off blood pressure treatment.

However, about 6 months in, after having seen a steady decrease, I experienced a paradoxical increase in blood pressure. After a lot of tests (all normal) I discovered that losing weight can.cause a reduction in renin, which is the hormone that starts the pathway which the blood pressure medication works on and that in some cases having low renin can cause the blood pressure tablet to increase rather than decrease pressure. I stopped taking the tablets and my blood pressure decreased to its current level.

Lots of things can cause increased bp, so no need to assume it's down to fasting, and most people do see a decrease. Too little salt can paradoxically increase bp for example.
It was high BP that started me on this WoE as I was freaked by a series of tests in the 160/100 region.

Mine is much better now, pretty much normal.
8 posts Page 1 of 1