The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Craving salt
11 Oct 2013, 14:21
I was just wondering if this a side effect of fasting. I normally don't salt my food at all but on fast days I'm really craving salt. I have a cup of marigold bouillon here and it's hitting the salt spot. Just wondered if anyone else suffered with this.
Re: Craving salt
11 Oct 2013, 14:25
Yes me. Bouillon is great but I like miso too (which also helps with my hot flushes) :curse:
11 Oct 2013, 14:51
I can get 'fasting' headache or even migraine, so I nibble a few flakes and wash with some water to help replenish my system.

I hate Miso, so thats not an option. I quite like the little flakes of salt :)
11 Oct 2013, 15:05
Mmm I do find that actually! I salt my food as im cooking anyway but on a fast day I like extra salt on top, in excess of what I would normally like. I wonder if it's because we drink more water and eat little food on fast days so we are diluting how much salt is in our system?
11 Oct 2013, 15:21
I definitely crave salt - I'm absolutely dying to get home and have some bouillon! I guess we take in far less salt on a fast day than normally, even less if we do liqud fasts, so I think it's important to replenish the levels.

Think I'm going daft though - saw the box of (eww) Diaralyte in the cupboard and wondered if it would be useful on a fast day, for replenishment! Haha, I stuck to my Marigold after all :-)
12 Oct 2013, 15:28
It might be worth asking at your local surgery for a blood test for salt levels. I finished up in A&E, admittedly after getting a stomach bug, but the doctor was most concerned at the amount of water I needed to drink as that does indeed dilute salt intake.
12 Oct 2013, 17:21
Thanks for finding that link, I'll make sure I add some more salt on my fast days
12 Oct 2013, 17:32
Bouillon sales must have rocketed since the advent of 5:2 last year! Before that, the only person I knew who drank it was my mother. Now we all seem to find it essential on a fast day to balance our bodies. I usually have one sweet drink and one bouillon during a fast day, plus some water, and some decaf coffees, and I normally feel that my fluid balance is good, although I do wake in the night for a wee!!
9 posts Page 1 of 1