The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Yacon, a South American root which has been part of the Andean diet for hundreds of years, may be the next big thing to promote healthy weight loss. Not only does it have the potential to significantly trim waistlines, it also appears to naturally support good digestion and regulate blood sugar – all without supplements or pills. The team at The Dr. Oz Show (just seen in the U.S.) asked several viewers interested in weight loss to try yacon syrup for 28 days – and the results:

The Project:
We asked 60 women to eat one teaspoon of yacon syrup with or before each meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) for four weeks. They were told not to otherwise change their usual diets or exercise habits. Forty of the 60 women completed the project. Of these 40 women:

29 (73%) of the women lost weight
14 women lost five pounds or more
Average weight loss was 2.9 pounds
Average reduction in waist size was 1.9 inches
Total weight lost among all the women was 153 pounds
27 (68%) recommended yacon as a weight loss tool

Prior studies have demonstrated some promising health benefits from yacon, including weight loss. One 2009 study published in Clinical Nutrition followed 55 obese Argentine women who took about 3-4 teaspoons of yacon syrup over the course of a day. The women were also instructed to slightly reduce their caloric intake and to walk for 45 minutes twice a week. Over 120 days, the women who did not take yacon syrup did not experience significant changes, while the women who did use yacon lost an average of 33 pounds and 4 inches of waist circumference. They also experienced improved insulin levels, a dramatic drop in bad cholesterol and more frequent bowel movements.

How It Works:
Yacon syrup is high in prebiotics, such as inulin and fructooligosaccharides (FOS). The concentration of FOS, which are sugars found naturally in many plants, is particularly high in yacon syrup. FOS resist breakdown by enzymes in the human digestive system and reach the colon without being digested. This means that yacon syrup is very low in calories (about 20 calories per tablespoon). FOS also acts as a soluble fiber, which increases stool bulk to help prevent and control constipation.
Yacon's FOS also help feed beneficial bacteria in the colon such as Bifidus and Lactobacillus. Studies have linked these good bowel bacteria to anti-inflammatory and immunity-boosting effects, and increasing their numbers may help maintain a healthy weight. In turn, these bacteria convert FOS to short-chain fatty acids, which help inhibit cholesterol synthesis in the liver and enhance tissue sensitivity to insulin. FOS has also been shown to modulate the production of certain gastrointestinal peptides that participate in gastric emptying rates and help regulate insulin levels and food intake. Yacon, therefore, may also help control appetite and food cravings, helping people eat less. Yacon has the potential to help with metabolic syndrome, high cholesterol and diabetes.

The potential benefits don't end there. Yacon consumption also appears to increase absorption of dietary minerals, and may make calcium more bioavailable. Studies have shown this could help increase bone density and delay the progression of osteoporosis. Studies also show that neutraceuticals, especially fructans such as yacon, may increase the efficiency of the immune system, lower infection risk and reduce digestive allergies.

How To Use It:
Yacon syrup tastes sweet with a consistency similar to molasses, and has been said to have a flavor like raisins or figs.

If you want to try yacon syrup for weight loss, take one teaspoon of 100% pure yacon syrup before or with each meal. Or you can use it as a sugar substitute. You can purchase yacon syrup at health food stores or online. Because of yacon syrup’s bowel movement-promoting properties, you may want to limit daily consumption to no more than 1-2 tablespoons. Keep in mind that heating yacon syrup to higher temperatures (as in baking) can affect some of its beneficial properties. To maximize its benefits, don't heat it above 70° C, though adding it to hot drinks like coffee or tea should be fine.

Who Should and Shouldn't Use It:
Yacon syrup may be especially helpful if you:

Are overweight or obese
Don't have a lot of fiber in your diet
Are constipated
Have elevated blood sugar

People who frequently suffer from diarrhea or loose stools may want to avoid yacon, as in larger amounts yacon syrup may cause diarrhea, bloating, flatulence and nausea. Do not take yacon if you are allergic to it or related foods such as sunflower seeds. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your doctor before trying yacon.

My thoughts - could be very useful for those who suffer from constipation and those who would like to add a little natural sweetness to their diet.

What do you think?????
It's been used by the raw food movement for a long time. It's low GI, and has a caramel taste. However it's is still sugar so I would not eat it.
Also "studies show" ... What studies, names, places published, peer recognition?
Just asking :0)
We asked 60 women to eat one teaspoon of yacon syrup with or before each meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner) for four weeks. They were told not to otherwise change their usual diets or exercise habits. Forty of the 60 women completed the project. Of these 40 women:29 (73%) of the women lost weight14 women lost five pounds or moreAverage weight loss was 2.9 poundsAverage reduction in waist size was 1.9 inchesTotal weight lost among all the women was 153 pounds27 (68%) recommended yacon as a weight loss tool

With no control group this "study" is completely meaningless. If you took 60 women and gave them a tsp of anything and told them it's a weight loss study, I bet most of them would lose weight. The power of placebo is v strong!
I vote ripoff fad. I mean it's Dr. Oz.
He is such a quack. I think the whole idea of super foods is stupid.
I used to believe Dr oz until I bought about 5 bottles of garcinia cambogia which was not the miracle pill that would reduce my appetite as he promised. You know of course what has reduced and reset my appetite? This WOL- of course. :-)
8 posts Page 1 of 1