The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

21 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Eating at restaurants
20 Jun 2015, 10:54
Entrée is the main course here- but it is often called the Main Course, which makes life simpler
20 Jun 2015, 12:26
I ' m learning to always ' just ask' when i eat out and to note which places are helpful
For instance,out for a meal the other night,i didnt want a calorific starter and the waitress offered to bring me a slice of melon instead. I asked them to replace the creamy mash of my main dish with vegetables,and was asked what veg wd i like? I had cauli,broc and carrots and they were cooked perfectly with a bit of bite to them.
These are the sort of places i will return to,as because theyre flexible and understand a lot of people are watching their weight / health.,it removes the stress from dining out.You know here too that, if you ask for a smaller portion,thats exactly what they' ll give you,which is useful as sadly,once its on my plate. I' ll eat everything put in front of me,and have to restrain myself from licking the plate! X
20 Jun 2015, 13:11
I definitely think US portion sizes are way out of control. When I visit France, the portions look so tiny, comparatively, but I notice they always fill me up and I'm always glad there wasn't more. I especially love the size of their pastries, which are like mini works of art and at least 1/2 the size of what you would get in an American restaurant.

As an American, I just get used to the fact that everyone in the rest of the world does things differently, and in this case I definitely think we screwed up in what we call our courses. It makes no sense to call the main dish an entree, unless you're simply looking at your main dish as the path to dessert. In that case, maybe I can get behind using that word ;-)

I do have to say that I have a love/hate relationship with the cheesecake factory. Some of the items on their skinnylicious menu are amazing - filling, healthy and low in calorie. They have tacos where they use a butter lettuce leaf as the taco shell - delicious, filling and 240 calories for three tacos! Their grilled artichoke is fab and I love their white bean chicken chili. But the problem is that you can't leave without having a 1000 calorie slice of cheesecake >.<
20 Jun 2015, 17:10
Great article. I agree with @tracieknits. Portion sizes in the U.S. are ridiculous and wasteful.
I 16:8 most days now yet managed to go up two dress sizes in 18 months since I came here. I eat out a lot either for business or travel. Appetizers her are as big as main courses and main courses need to be shared or boxed. Even an omelette is three times the size it is in England. Sorry I'm ranting. But portion control and TDEE is vital for fasting successfully
20 Jun 2015, 20:10
Tracieknits wrote: It makes no sense to call the main dish an entree, unless you're simply looking at your main dish as the path to dessert. In that case, maybe I can get behind using that word ;-)

Yes, I'm sure that's what an entree is....in my world anyway!
21 Jun 2015, 01:01
I'm trying hard to get the cafeteria at work to post calories. I even offered to calculate it for them. But they haven't done it :-(
21 posts Page 2 of 2