The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
Fast Day munchies
01 Sep 2014, 05:57
normally i can ride through a fast day but i feel like eating something before i can officially break fast at about 6.30pm tonight. 3 hours to go

i know its been posted ad infinitum on the forum but what the heck ill ask.. and i guess there are newbies that have the same question.

What are your favourite things you can consume on a fast day in such circumstances that arent too calorific

I know someone will say stock cubes and water or the other name for it that escapes me. that one make me want to barf.. so anything else?

ive done a few cashews and im coffeed out now.
Re: Fast Day munchies
01 Sep 2014, 06:24
Chopped apple,
Handful of berries,
boiled egg,
large dill pickle
01 Sep 2014, 07:21
rawkaren wrote: Chopped apple,
Handful of berries,
boiled egg,
large dill pickle

thanks rawkaren

I went for some pumpkin seeds and some currants.

I found my sis having a slice of bread with smoked salmon.. ooops we both had the munchies. Must have been all the good food from yesterday that got the appetite going. she made an amazing minestrone with ham hock soup and an orange and poppy seed cake with cream cheese frosting. yum yum ... should i go for a thin sliver of cake now.. no no no i mustnet its only an 90 more minutes till dinner
01 Sep 2014, 10:19
Brush your teeth and go out for walk, distract and move away from temptation!
01 Sep 2014, 13:40
Azureblue wrote: Brush your teeth and go out for walk, distract and move away from temptation!

taa. Tooth brushing worked i remember once cause of the mint i guess. Mouth wash might be even better as they say you cant consume food for 30 minutes.
Walk dont work for me as im in the office.
03 Sep 2014, 08:17
thought of another today, being fast day.
little mints like those pictured here.
Picked them up at a Chemist
http://shop.coles.com.au/online/nationa ... peppermint
gets that dry mouth feeling away thought it is hard to stop at one

thoughts as a tool to get you through the fast day. not normally a confectionery eater but thinking its tiny and refreshing?
03 Sep 2014, 08:26
Crab sticks or some turkey ham and a rice cake!
03 Sep 2014, 08:58
@Juliana.Rivers, I like your mint strategy - I sometimes use Tic Tacs in a similar way, especially now that such a huge variety of flavours is available in the UK (2kcals per Tic Tac - it's an intense hit of flavour and the flavour is a useful deterrent against being tempted to eat anything else).
03 Sep 2014, 09:08
I'm not sure if they're available in Australia, but high five zero drink tablets help me, along with sugar free mints.
04 Sep 2014, 00:10
Egduf wrote: I'm not sure if they're available in Australia, but high five zero drink tablets help me, along with sugar free mints.

they seem to be.. one of the online suppliers in Australia

http://www.wiggle.com.au/high5-zero-drink/

the write up says..
Zero is easy to use, drop a tablet in your bottle and it quickly dissolves in water to give you a delicious, refreshing, advanced electrolyte drink with added magnesium. The small recyclable tube contains 20 tablets and makes 15 litres of drink in your own reusable sports bottle, which means optimal hydration with less waste so it's good for the environment too.

Zero can be an essential part of your anti cramp strategy as cramp has been linked to both dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.

Researchers have found that simply drinking Zero instead of a normal carbohydrate sport drink 22 participants burned on average 41% more fat during exercise. Independently tested; Faculty of Biomedical and Life Sciences, University of Glasgow.

Zero is perfect for runners, cyclists, hikers, the gym, pro athletes, footballers, racket sports or anyone who wants to stay active and hydrated.

are electrolyte drinks ok to consume (health wise)
04 Sep 2014, 00:12
Katastrofee wrote: Crab sticks or some turkey ham and a rice cake!

@Katastrofee
turkey ham.. isnt that a salty.. do not touch on a fast day type of food.

same with crab sticks?

rice cakes.. do you mean the cardboardy kind of crisp bread.?
04 Sep 2014, 07:11
cherry tomatoes or carrot sticks. sugar free gum. Miso soup.
04 Sep 2014, 13:54
Flavored herb tea. Splenda sweetened fruit flavored soda.

I have found my fast days so much easier since I stopped eating anything until dinner time. For me, anything that gets digestive juices flowing kicks off a rebound need to eat that makes fasting much tougher.
04 Sep 2014, 14:04
MaryAnn wrote: cherry tomatoes or carrot sticks. sugar free gum. Miso soup.

carrot sticks.. i like the sound of that. i gather is shouldnt dip them in a french onion or creamy dip . lol
04 Sep 2014, 14:06
peebles wrote:

I have found my fast days so much easier since I stopped eating anything until dinner time. For me, anything that gets digestive juices flowing kicks off a rebound need to eat that makes fasting much tougher.

I think if im out of the home i can do the "dont eat anything" better.. did that all of last year on a Sunday as i was often in house renovation mode. its when your home and the kitchen is in the next room. its just so hard not to put something in the mouth.
17 posts Page 1 of 2