The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

41 posts Page 3 of 3
Now I wonder if for my apps that track my calories, if I should set my weight to maintain and sedentary and let it adjust for my activity. If I have it set to moderate, as I do now, I could be counting my activity twice since myfitnesspal app syncs with my jawbone up pedometer and constantly changes what I can eat.

thanks to everyone for your comments. She seems to think that she eats low protein already, but I told her there are other markers that change with fasts too.
@43tweaker. The skewing of results by newcomers would explain a lot. Would be good to add a dimension on Progress tracker questionnair of other diet plans people are following so that we can see if 4:3 makes any significant results, or 16:8 or liquid fasting for 36 hours. I guess thats too hard to actually do in its current form

Acutally, diet type is included in the monthly weigh in results but when i go to edit my profile I cant actually change diet type.
I found most of the TDEE calculations on-line are too high and I would actually put on weight and it took a while to get the right amount of calories to lose weight. EG I have set my TDEE at sedentary level, because even though I am a fairly active person I didn't lose any weight for the first few weeks on 5:2 when I used the TDEE figure for 'light activity'. As I lost weight, I adjusted my TDEE downwards accordingly.
I calculated my TDEE myself. For 4 weeks I noted down everything I ate and weighed daily. Then, I passed my notes to a friend who can do math (I am incapable of doing even the basics) and she told me what my TDEE is.
It was higher than I thought it was (I'm pretty sure that 5:2 did this for me) and perhaps a tad lower than my actual TDEE, which I guestimated last month when I couldn't do 5:2 and I maintained.
For me I would like to say, that I would never been able to eat up to my TDEE on my normal days. I have a medical condition, underactive thyroid, and even though I take medicine for that, my metabolism is still working in the lower range. And above that, I am 54, so my age has lowered my metabolism about 10-20%. In the beginning I tried to eat about 1745 cals. that's what my TDEE was at that moment. But I didn't loose but gained weight. I was talking to my doctor about it and she said, I had to go down in calories if I want to loose wight, even though I had my 500 cals. fasting days.

For me I had to work out my own way to loose weight and still following the 5:2 ( 4:3 actually :smile: - until now) As long as I want to loose weight I can not eat what I want on my normal days. I still have to count calories, and I accept that :smile: . So my strategy - which is working for ME ( even though some people say it is not good) I eat about 400 cals on fast days, about 1200 cals the other days (weekdays) and again a little bit more in weekends 1400 cals.

I think we all have to work out which is best for every one of us. for me 5:2 is not working in its simple form "Eat what you want on 5 days, and fast 2 days with 500 calories" - but still this WOL is very good and a healthy way for your body too.. you just have to adjust yourself so it suits you :wink: .

At least that is my opinion :like: .

Pia
TML13 wrote: Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Many people don't lose weight with 5:2 without changing it. Someone who is thin, might gain weight if they eat over their TDEE for 5 days, even if they eat less for 2.
If I do it now, for example, I will gain weight.

You answered "Are you suggesting that if a person eats 25% of their TDEE twice a week, and averages eating their TDEE for the remaining five days, they will not lose weight? " with the above, which is based on them eating MORE THAN their TDEE.

Clear as mud.
Phil, the discussion was about a person who would eat MORE than their TDEE for 5 days and 25% of their TDEE for 2 but overall they would eat their TDEEX7 during the entire week. If you read it from the beginning it will be rather clear to you.
used to be 220 pounds then I started IF and lost 12 pounds. I'm fasting for 24 hours then I have 1 meal which contains up to 1200 calories then I go back to fasting.I don't feel as hungry as I was when I first started. I waight train 3-4 times a week.I just want to know will I keep Losing weight fasting like this.
Ezzy wrote: used to be 220 pounds then I started IF and lost 12 pounds. I'm fasting for 24 hours then I have 1 meal which contains up to 1200 calories then I go back to fasting.I don't feel as hungry as I was when I first started. I waight train 3-4 times a week.I just want to know will I keep Losing weight fasting like this.

absolutely not. If you keep eating this little, every day, your body will go into "starvation mode" -- it will lower your metabolism dramatically so that you burn hardly any calories. Your body is made to not lose weight. Starving it turns all of those survival mechanisms on.

The reason 5:2 works for people is that when you eat normally one day and restrict calories the next, your metabolism doesn't freak out and turn off your metabolism.
Think about it, someone starving to death don't stay the same weight. they are skinny as hell. I think starvation mode is a myth, someone starving to death does not stay the same weight or start gaining weight. How come you never see a fat person dying from starvation. You literally can't even Starve unless you have like 0% body fat which I don't Think about it, someone starving to death don't stay the same weight. they are skinny as hell. starvation mode is a myth, someone starving to death does not stay the same weight or start gaining weight. How come you never see a fat person dying from starvation. Think about it, someone starving to death don't stay the same weight. they are skinny as hell. I think starvation mode is a myth, someone starving to death does not stay the same weight or start gaining weight. How come you never see a fat person dying from starvation. You literally can't even Starve unless you have like 0% body fat. Also watch this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gNGM5TvQzUM
So now you are claiming that (a) I said you would starve to death (I did not, I said your metabolism would slow and you would not lose weight quickly), and (b) you are more of an expert than doctors heading obesity research centers. Dr. Amanda Sainsbury-Salis wrote extensively about this in her books that are popular on this site. There is a phenomenon whereby your metabolism lowers if your food intake is lowered dramatically and you become far more efficient at burning calories. I'm sorry if you don't like that fact.

Nobody is talking about death here except for you.

I'm saying that if you decide to eat only 1200 calories a day, every day, you will severely mess up your metabolism and your weight loss will be a lot more difficult. I did not say impossible.

And please stop using the word "literally" so much.
41 posts Page 3 of 3