The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

41 posts Page 1 of 3
Fasting eating 1000 calories?
06 Aug 2013, 19:47
My mother-in-law just watched the same documentary that convinced me to try this thing. She says she would try to eat 1000-1200 on fast days. I told her that won't work b/c it isn't really a fast. She weighs somewhere between 100 and 115 pounds and is a size zero. She wants to consider it for health. I told her that is only cutting 25% of her TDEE. Anyone have any clearer info to convince her of that? An article or something explaining what percentage it has to be to be effective? Thanks!
I guess you can't confuse weight loss with other benefits when you have no weight to lose!

The secret (if there is one) to the health benefits is to seriously restrict calorie consumption at least two days a week. There are no suspected health benefits to merely reducing calorie intake two days a week.

As your mother-in-law probably does not want to lose weight, the answer for the 'health benefit' question would seem to be eat 25% or less of TDEE for two days a week, and overeat TDEE for the remaining five to prevent weight loss.

Good luck!
She could try 6:1? - Eating 500 calories only 1 day a week.

Another suggestion off the top of my head would be to try 700-800 calorie fasts but in one meal - that way she would have a 24 hour fast before she ate (eg only eating an evening meal, 24 hours of fasting from 1 evening meal to the next)
Methinks that if she wants the benefits of fasting and not the weight loss she could try to eat half her TDEE in one meal and do 24 hour fasts.
Like, have dinner on the night before a fast, wake up on the fast day and eat nothing till dinner time when she will eat a meal worth of around 700 calories. Could she do that?

Since many people find that they don't lose weight with the classic edition of 5:2, I wouldn't advise someone to do it and increase their calorie intake on non-fast days. It could end up to weight gain...
Jolie, SNAP! :-)
TML13 wrote: Since many people find that they don't lose weight with the classic edition of 5:2, I wouldn't advise someone to do it and increase their calorie intake on non-fast days. It could end up to weight gain...

?

Are you suggesting that if a person eats 25% of their TDEE twice a week, and averages eating their TDEE for the remaining five days, they will not lose weight? :confused:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Many people don't lose weight with 5:2 without changing it. Someone who is thin, might gain weight if they eat over their TDEE for 5 days, even if they eat less for 2.
If I do it now, for example, I will gain weight.
TML13 wrote: Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Many people don't lose weight with 5:2 without changing it. Someone who is thin, might gain weight if they eat over their TDEE for 5 days, even if they eat less for 2.

Why is that? Cos the TDEE figure isn't very accurate or?
It's because some people have medical conditions which make it difficult for them to lose weight.

Most people without that sort of medical condition should find that they lose somewhere around 1lb per week on average.
TML13 wrote: Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. Many people don't lose weight with 5:2 without changing it. Someone who is thin, might gain weight if they eat over their TDEE for 5 days, even if they eat less for 2.

I guess I respectfully disagree. Mathematically, it is impossible to eat less than TDEE and gain weight.

What is true, and what I see quite a bit of on the Forum, are people who are working off 'bad numbers'. Research shows people overestimate their activity levels by over 50%, and underestimate their calorie intake by about 47%.

So what I see are three things happening:

1. A person has a computed TDEE that is too high. When they eat to it on their feast days, they are overeating and do not lose weight (or don't lose it 'fast enough');

2. A person does not accurately keep track of their calorie intake. They think they are eating 500 or less, and to their TDEE, but they are not. They are not weighing and measuring and practicing portion control - just estimating. And they miss 'little things', like tasting of food they are cooking, gum they are chewing, and creamer they are adding to their coffee.

3. Both 1 and 2 above.

These are the people I see complaining of lack of weight loss on 5:2. Those with good TDEEs and accurate calorie counts do not seem to have a problem over time.

And of course, I am not addressing the impact on weight loss of water retention or 'weight in transit'.

:smile:
Jemima wrote: It's because some people have medical conditions which make it difficult for them to lose weight.

Most people without that sort of medical condition should find that they lose somewhere around 1lb per week on average.

Exactly! Anybody with anything "wrong" (hypothyroidism, constipation, water retention) might gain more weight in 5 days of overeating than the one they will lose in two days of undereating.
TML13 wrote:
Jemima wrote: It's because some people have medical conditions which make it difficult for them to lose weight.

Exactly! Anybody with anything "wrong" (hypothyroidism, constipation, water retention) might gain more weight in 5 days of overeating than the one they will lose in two days of undereating.

Again, the TDEE is the issue. The medical problem, or its cure (medication to cure it) changes the body's metabolism - usually lower than average. So that person's TDEE is quite a bit lower than it might normally be. To keep from gaining, much less to lose weight, they have to eat much less than 'normal' because their TDEE is so low.

Remember, TDEE is defined as the number of calories it takes to neither gain nor lose weight. TDEE is unique to each individual. And the calculators that we use are at best estimates, although often close.

Water retention and constipation are not weight loss issues. They self correct over time. Only fat loss is important to those wanting to lose weight and keep it off.

But if you are not losing weight on 5:2, it is probably because you are eating too many calories - for whatever reason. :smile:
Simcoeluv, it is not that simple when we are talking about people with medical conditions. Yes, what you say is true for the perfectly healthy ones but not for the rest of us.
TML13 wrote: Simcoeluv, it is not that simple when we are talking about people with medical conditions. Yes, what you say is true for the perfectly healthy ones but not for the rest of us.

OK, as long as you agree your comments concerning those with medical issues do not apply to the majority that do not have those issues. :wink:
I believe that what I'm saying is rather clear...
41 posts Page 1 of 3