The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Fasting tips
23 Feb 2014, 01:21
I am curious what do you do to keep yourself busy on your fasting days?

So far I drink broth.
Clean.
Cook. As crazy as it sounds I love to cook for others!!!
Go to the gym.
Watch a movie.
Have a cup of tea.
Come on here for inspiration.

Share your ideas :oops:
Re: Fasting tips
23 Feb 2014, 05:51
I try to always do it on a work day and stay really busy. When possible, I head outside for a short walk.
23 Feb 2014, 06:08
I too find it easier if I'm at work to fast.
Go for a walk before eating to burn more fat.
I like broth too around 4 or 5 pm. I instantly feel better.
Avoid shopping malls and eateries.
Avoid eating as long as possible and avoid white carbs and sugar on fast days.
I'm in bed by 9 ish and read the forum ,feel very smug but also just want the day to be over so turn the light out early.
23 Feb 2014, 15:47
:heart: @Carley Keeping busy is the biggest tip so like you I find jobs around the house or in better weather go for a walk, for me it has to be evening meal only became once I eat during the day it wakes up the hunger monster in me, my
f/days are nearly all of 2 courses I do this by way of a reward for going the 24hr plus it slows down my meal and makes me feel fuller and satisfied. :heart: Sue
23 Feb 2014, 15:50
I try to do it on a work day, and as a teacher that keeps me very distracted from fasting!

But, if I were home, I'd also consider reading and/or sleeping! :)
23 Feb 2014, 16:40
It's funny because my fast days are always pretty similar. Having ME I am unable to do much of anything so I spend my time on the sofa or in bed for rest bursts. On good days I can walk my dogs. I guess sometimes the days drag, especially from about 2-5 (I tend to eat at 5...don't think I could wait too much longer!)

Anyway, if I ever get better, I just wonder how I'd get on fasting at work. How do you guys cope with people bringing cakes in or going out for lunch? In a way, I've got it easy

Bean :smile:
23 Feb 2014, 17:06
I have to say, I normally work and fast but this week I was off for half term and I still fasted. It wasn't much harder just a lot slower. So for me, I have to say keeping busy with work is key. And drinking enough water to fill a paddling pool lol :)
23 Feb 2014, 20:25
I've been fasting on days I work. Its worked well so far but then again I work on my own most of the time. My work days have been changing every week since xmas break so this week i'm at home on 1 of my fasting days... today is it so will try and keep myself busy. Got to take my old dog to the vet for some tests and stay with him as he has been freaking out going there lately... so that will take up a few hours, by then I can come home for a late lunch, and then all down hill from there.
23 Feb 2014, 23:29
I go to my shed and make wooden toys, lady's toys of the 'ahem' kind.

But generally I just carry on as normal. Fasting has become so 'normal' that I don't need the distractions very often any more. What I found that did help was cutting right down on the carb rich foods the last meal before a fast, which meant by morning my blood sugar level was already into fat burning mode, so I didn't get any sugar slumps.
23 Feb 2014, 23:44
It is easier when I'm busy. Morning and evening zumba class on Monday really helps. On Thursday, I walk and then bowl in the morning (while drinking black coffee and seltzer and eating 16 pistachios for 50 calories), then broth at lunch and more zumba and then a big salad. It works if I do! :lol:
23 Feb 2014, 23:50
I'm a work faster too!

@daydreamer21 go you!!! I totally failed on my half term fasting...I ate a lot! So nervous for tomorrow's weigh in and fast!!
24 Feb 2014, 14:51
Especially since doing ADF, I really don't find fasting an issue now. It's just something I do, a bit like laundry or the school run. Like those things, sometimes it feels like a chore, but generally I don't even think about it.

On a bad day, I actually find it easier to be in the kitchen cooking than out of it thinking about food. I try to cook the kind of food that either I know well so don't need to taste, or that won't do too much damage if I have the odd teaspoon full. I make sure I don't take big tasters, just barely enough to check seasoning. Today I've made meatloaf and spicy tomato sauce, plus prepared vegetables for tonight's dinner. Also, a pan of carrot and coriander soup and a pear cake! It's as if by the act of preparing food and smelling it, my brain is duly processed and I don't actually need to eat it.
24 Feb 2014, 15:04
I go food shopping on a monday and it's not that busy and it's fairly relaxing walking round the supermarket.
24 Feb 2014, 15:42
i always fast on work days. I can't imagine doing it at home with all that temptation around and my son continuously trying to 'feed' me (he's 17 months!!). At work, it's easy- too much to do to worry about not eating (although i still think about food ALOT!).
24 Feb 2014, 16:43
nursebean wrote: It's funny because my fast days are always pretty similar. Having ME I am unable to do much of anything so I spend my time on the sofa or in bed for rest bursts. On good days I can walk my dogs. I guess sometimes the days drag, especially from about 2-5 (I tend to eat at 5...don't think I could wait too much longer!)

Anyway, if I ever get better, I just wonder how I'd get on fasting at work. How do you guys cope with people bringing cakes in or going out for lunch? In a way, I've got it easy

Bean :smile:

Hi Bean, I have ME too and really struggle most days for energy. I manage to walk my dog but I do sleep for most of the morning otherwise I struggle to do anything! :oops:

When I was in work I found it easy to keep occupied so it wasn't too hard to keep to my fast it's become routine now so most days I don't think too much about it . I also eat around 5 as it fits in with the fan :wink:
19 posts Page 1 of 2