The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

29 posts Page 2 of 2
Agree with Domane about trying different types of coffee if you get the chance ... i too prefer Gold Blend, with a sweetener in. Others are just too bitter.
flavoured coffee might be an option? I bought vanilla coffee yesterday, haven't tried it yet though!
Agreeing with everyone about do what works for you to make fast days easier.

I used to drink coffee with plenty of half and half and sugar. I gradually reduced the sugar until it was gone (over about six months, i think), then after I was used to it without sugar, I started reducing the half and half and switching to whole milk instead - and less and less of it.

The nespresso machine helps a lot to, not going to kid about that. I am super happy with about a tablespoon of milk in a cup, which isn't even 20 calories. But if I go somewhere else for coffee, I still need a bit of half and half or milk, but nowhere near as much as before. :-)
@jeninboston I think your calculations for the skimmed milk in your tea must be way off. I have skimmed in my tea's for fast days and calculate 300ml's , about a half a pint, at 99 kcals (British pints have 20 fl oz in them).
That much milk would do me for about 10 tea's through the day and that is what I base my 100kcal daily milk limit on.
In fact I go through less than a litre of skimmed milk in a week, that has 3 fast days in it, which includes extra skimmed milk in teas through the week so I can feel virtuous.
Julieathome wrote: @jeninboston I think your calculations for the skimmed milk in your tea must be way off. I have skimmed in my tea's for fast days and calculate 300ml's , about a half a pint, at 99 kcals (British pints have 20 fl oz in them).
That much milk would do me for about 10 tea's through the day and that is what I base my 100kcal daily milk limit on.
In fact I go through less than a litre of skimmed milk in a week, that has 3 fast days in it, which includes extra skimmed milk in teas through the week so I can feel virtuous.

Yes, I agree. Just checked the side of the bottle of Pura Light Start I have in the fridge. It's 110C for 250 ml. I don't bother to count the splash I have in the one cup of coffee I have on fast days.I know full fat is fine but I really don't like the taste in coffee though I'm fine with eating pure cream! :oops:
sorry to be really thick but what is half and half??????????
Half coffee, half milk, or a flat white as you would order here in Aus.
I am the same I cannot drink black coffee unless it is an absolutely fantastic one (think Melbourne baristas) and I would rather drink tea. I won't give up my milk in tea and factor that in to my day. It is what makes me human!!!
From my perambulations on the internet it appears to be half cream and half full fat milk and is about 20 Cal per tablespoon. I'm assuming that's a US tablespoon so 15 mls. Happy to be corrected.
Madcatlady wrote: sorry to be really thick but what is half and half??????????

Half cream, half milk. It's an American thing. Not quite as decadent as double cream in your coffee, but still quite delicious.
Julieathome wrote: @jeninboston I think your calculations for the skimmed milk in your tea must be way off. I have skimmed in my tea's for fast days and calculate 300ml's , about a half a pint, at 99 kcals (British pints have 20 fl oz in them).

Thanks, I like how you think, but I use myfitnesspal that tells me a cup of skimmed milk is 86 calories (yeah, I rounded it up a bit) and I know I use about a cup a day, I've measured how much I use with a measuring cup and it's about right, especially if I sneak a 4th cup in. :grin:

Guess I like my tea milky. Thank you for trying to save me calories :heart: :heart:
I was just telling my sister that after 10 months of 5:2 I am still not used to the taste of black coffee. I still feel like I'm almost choking it down. I drink it a little less strong and that helps, but I'm not enjoying it too much - I only consume it for the caffiene on fast days. (On non fast days I use approx 100 calories of 1/2 and 1/2.)
I just came across this site which has a video explaining how to make Bulletproof Coffee

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-m ... rning-too/

enjoy
I switched to almond milk but I only put about 50 mls in and I have stevia for sweetner. Got my coffee down to about 11 cals. I cannot have it black as it gives me stomach ache and the most horrible rapid transet about 30 minutes later.(Sorry TMI).I only have one cup a day so not to bad.
I grew up drinking my coffee black - mom didn't want me to have the extra calories of milk & sugar, so I just never missed it. Never thought about almond milk, may suggest it to OH as he's looking to cut coffee cals.
We sometimes sub evaporated skimmed milk for cream in recipes, still rich tasting, but no fat if that's what you're after. It comes in a can. It's a bit concentrated, so you can use a bit less. It's in the baking aisle in American grocery stores. Not to be confused with sweetened condensed milk though, ALL sugar & sticky sweet!
29 posts Page 2 of 2