The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Heard about the CHIMP PARADOX?
02 Oct 2014, 21:51
Hmmm, another Brit thing...y'all have got it goin' on!

I've been reading "The Chimp Paradox" (Steve Peters), website http://chimpmanagement.com/index.html.

Very briefly, it explains why I've been reluctant to vary my light (fast) days. In a nutshell, he explains that helpful & positive habits are called "autopilot," and happen without the interference of our less evolved self, The Chimp (too much to go into here). So, once you've established a good habit--such as fasting on two invariable days a week--you don't have to think about it, it's just something you do, and your Chimp doesn't interfere. However, if you give yourself reasons to make exceptions, before you know it, your Chimp is talking you out of fasting/your good habit. Interesting to better understand how and why developing a habit such as this happens...Still reading, still a lot to learn about Chimp Management, but it's really interesting and seems useful.
Yes! It happens to be one of the books we've recommended in the useful stuff section of the site. Very very good and really helpful in all walks of life.
It's a great read. Very revealing
Yes, I can attest to its effectiveness, I found it a really good read and have realised just hiw many chimps I work with!!!!!!
Yes, Debs, it sure is easy to see other's Chimps, isn't it? :oops:
Yes I'm a fan of this too. My chimp is in her place at the moment and calm, but every now and then she decides to have run around uncontrollably. :victory:
Agree completely ferret! Like rawkaren, at least now I can recognise when mine is poking its head out and reel it in. It is a huge advantage looking at yourself dispassionately that way sometimes.
Yes it's a great book. Saw the author recently on UK TV he was working with a big football team (either Liverpoool or Chelsea football club) trying to sort their minds out .
My hubs has taken some of the ideas onboard too. His chimp is very naughty sometimes. Having said that he does need a strong chimp who doesn't get walked over in his industry, and being in management, he would fail miserably if he didn't think on his toes sometimes.
It's really funny as sometimes he says are you analysing my chimp dear?
Thanks ferret,i ve been meaning to look into this..
Yr description makes sense to me..have struggled since january but the four months priorto that, i lost two stone
In January i started trying to alter the formula..looking at4:3, ADF etc and then it went horribly wrong..i should have left my Chimp alone while she was doing a good job! X
See our book recommendations, including The Chimp Paradox, here: https://www.fastday.com/useful-stuff/books/ (with links to Amazon so you can buy them!).
How do I get my chimp to not go all constipated every time I fast? It is putting me off!
Azureblue wrote: How do I get my chimp to not go all constipated every time I fast? It is putting me off!

Ha ha, not sure that is your chimp tbh! I presume you've tried magnesium supplements?
Oh yes, and 3000mg of vitamin C, and many prunes, and flaxseed etc etc.
Sometimes these things work but not always. I'm going with just eating when hungry for a few days in the hope my body will give itself a good talking to and see sense :0,
Lost 1.5kg since last night's weight. Sometimes it's all a bit of a mystery innit :0)
Thanks for these endorsements, guys - I bought the book on Kindle a while back but hadn't started it. Then hubby found it while mooching around in my Kindle on hols and told me how excellent it was! My problem is that my chimp loves to start lots of books but doesn't always finish them - I think Kindle encourages her!! But this has prompted me to get reading it, so thanks!
14 posts Page 1 of 1