The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi
Historically I've been someone who has put on weight quite slowly. Over eating over a couple of weeks would only make a couple of pounds difference. I am now capable of putting on over 2 stone in four months.

There's a couple of possible reasons. I used to have a (controlled) overactive thyroid which since radioactive iodine treatment is now a (controlled) underactive thyroid. Also my weight has yo-yo ed over the past 3 years. I've lost a stone or 21 pounds and then put it back on a few times. Lastly, I had a year or so of depression where I was very sedentary. I'm guessing that my metabolism has become more sluggish as a result of one or more of these factors. Frankly, I want my old metabolism back!

Question - what are the proven ways to speed up a sluggish metabolism?

I've heard that intermittent fasting alone can help.
also that short bursts of intensive exercise can recalibrate metabolism.

Any other ideas?

thanks in advance for your help

R
I wish I could help you more dear. I am a traditional exerciser, running and aerobic classes. There is a whole lot of info on the NEAT threads. And HIT
@carorees is back soon, and she will be able to point you in the right direction. Having said that, I know many here who are sedentary and still have lost weight successfully. It's all about the calorie deficit after all, shocking the body with a low cal day works for active people and those who are not.
Keep plugging away.
thank you Caroline, that's helpful.

Could you possibly post a link for the NEAT and HIT threads please?

R
4 posts Page 1 of 1