The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

23 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: How to curb my carbs
16 Sep 2014, 12:14
Ooh might buy some sukrin. Thanks for that. Lovers ghost. Sorry couldn't tag. Black menu in the way on mobile.
16 Sep 2014, 12:15
I've always loved carbohydrate, chocolate doesn't do anything for me unless it's on a biscuit...
However, being on this site has meant I can't ignore the growing realisation that I'm going to have to get my carb intake under some semblance of control for health reasons.
I've just calculated yesterdays intake of what I'd call basic, non-fruit carbs, ie porridge, potatoes, bread, potota bread and popcorn, and I had 200g... Add the fruit in, and perhaps it's not surprising I'm apple shaped. This is the first time I've ever calculated my carbs, and I'm a bit shocked. (Yesterday was a particularly bad eating day, but not unknown.)
Bad carb days tend to happen after fast days, when I don't eat carbs like bread, potatoes, etc just lentils, tomatoes and veg carbs on fast days.
I shall go away and think about this now...but the idea of maintaining an intake below 70g seems, well frankly impossible.
16 Sep 2014, 12:34
@Annurca - it did to me too when I started (feel impossible). I tried to go cold turkey (so to speak) and felt like death (I believe they call it 'low carb flu') so I did it gradually and initially thought like you I couldn't do it, given the levels I was eating at - I think it's just about doing what you can live with without feeling like it's a battle and we're all different - if I eat less than 50g I have no energy but 70g suits me fine - I can eat pretty much what I want in copious amounts and don't feel deprive and I lose weight (albeit slowly now) - and at one time I was easily eating the amounts you say you do (and what is considered a 'normal' carb intake). I just feel better without so much of them; less sluggish, no urge to drop off after meals blah blah.
16 Sep 2014, 12:39
PS Given the fact I was probably pre diabetic when I started (or nearing there) I was/am probably quite insulin resistant - my brother has type 2 diabetes - so maybe I need to eat fewer carbs for good health, because of my genetic predisposition, whereas someone else with no metabolic issues could probably do very nicely on say, 150g daily. Horses for courses and all that. I found the 'carbohydrate curve' on Mark's Daily Apple really useful.
16 Sep 2014, 12:50
I agree with @lovers ghost, try cutting down to 150g to start with and see how you go. A 50g cut in carbs is not too difficult.

Look at the list at the end of the nutrition article for ideas on what carbs you could cut
https://www.fastday.com/fasting/the-bas ... hy-eating/
16 Sep 2014, 12:57
Those of you who are looking to curb your carbs - is that with the intention of substituting more kcals from fat or protein to make up for the drop in carbs or are you intending just to drop those kcals without replacing them?
16 Sep 2014, 13:28
@SSure I don't know what others do, but I tend to substitute vegetables for carbs: thinly sliced cabbage or zucchini for pasta, extra serving of veg instead of potatoes. Yes, meat, eggs, or cheese sometimes instead of dinner rolls, pasta, rice, etc. No science in mind--just not wanting high GI empty calories.
16 Sep 2014, 13:54
Thank you @loversghost and @carorees!
@SSure I'm currently fasting twice a week and more or less maintaining, and so I'm probably thinking to just drop some calories with the aim of actually maintaining on a once a week fast. But if eating carbs wasn't a health issue, I'd prefer to just carry on as I am and fast twice a week!
I hate the idea of counting food on normal days, it's not the inconvenience, it's more that I don't want to think of food like that, so I think I shall just aim to eat less for now, and maybe calculate it every now and then on a typical day.
23 posts Page 2 of 2