The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
I had an amazing meal out on Saturday night. see pics below. a Bavarian/German feast. This was the meat platter after the delicatessan entree of cold meats and bread. Also had chips and onion rings... Was yum. Even though I do know that its wrong on many levels

This was followed by Tiramisu at an Italian restaurant and I had a small taste of my OH's mixed gelati. Oh and an ice coffee on top.

bavarian-platter.jpg

tiramisu-1.jpg

gelati.jpg

Well the day after, a Sunday is normally a fast day. I was hungry all day and looked for any excuse to eat anything. Did go over my fasting limit of about 500 calories invariably.

What's the physiology that makes me much hungrier on a fast day than normal after such a feast. You would think i would be overfull and not have to eat. The scales were bad to me this morning but I am not too concerned as I know that a couple of "good" days even if not fasting will fix it but was curious nonetheless.

Is it some kind of message sent to my body that my fasting and careful days are over or something?
Oh stop but strangely too much meat for me where are the veggies I say
gillymary wrote: Oh stop but strangely too much meat for me where are the veggies I say

Do the slivers of onions in the deep fried onion rings count?
I agree - when I've had a feast style massive meal, I wake up hungry and stay hungry all day. It seems to be mostly when I've eaten out, when meat is the focus, and when it's taken longer to eat than usual (over several courses).

On the other hand, when I've eaten a lot of carb heavy food over a weekend or few days period (cakes, biscuits, chocolate, chips), that's when I most feel like I need a break from eating.

Edited to add - YUM to your feast. And is that sauerkraut? :like: :starving:
Oh my word! Did you eat ALL that?!

Come in now Juliana, you MUSTNT let the hunger monster win!!

Bean :starving:
image.jpg
(13.78 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
KataMac wrote:
Edited to add - YUM to your feast. And is that sauerkraut? :like: :starving:

nursebean wrote: Oh my word! Did you eat ALL that?!

Come in now Juliana, you MUSTNT let the hunger monster win!!

Bean :starving:

that was shared between 2 people. (actually 3 as i took home a tiny doggy bag for daughter who wasnt with us.

i could have eaten more actually!

It was saurkraut in the middle yes, plus red cabbage. mandatory accompaniment to German sausages! i like my saurkraut with fresh cream .. (now that was a nostalgic thought)

the hungry monster can be soooooo persistent. wins all the time if i let him
I don't have any scientific proof to hand, but from an evolutionary perspective it makes sense that in times of plenty we are able to overeat so as to ensure good fat stores for the famine times. So, when you eat a lot, your body goes into feasting mode and makes you hungry again so as to encourage you to eat while the food is available. Conversely, in times of famine (i.e., when we fast) your body goes into fasting mode and tends not to keep telling you to eat because it will just distract you from obtaining food (hunting/gathering). That's why the day after a fast you feel less hungry and the day after a feast you feel more hungry.

That's my theory anyway!
OMG that's a lot of food @Juliana.Rivers....I hope you enjoyed every bit of it? I am not at all surprised you were hungry the next day and agree totally with Caroline.
@carorees. i thought as much but as always you put it eloquently.

@auriga Yes i did like it though not used to that kind of food for past few month. I didnt even eat that much at Christmas! i was thinking about it and reckon without much variation i could have still enjoyed the food but not eaten as much (eg skip the entree totally, and maybe the dessert too)
Juliana, that's quite a feast! It looks absolutely delicious… :like: YUM!
10 posts Page 1 of 1