The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
I need to eat more !
06 Feb 2014, 07:34
I need some help people (ok, this is something friends who know me knew !!)

I reached my goal weight a couple of weeks ago :like:

However.... my weight loss has screwed up the thyroid meds. I had an almost full removal 3 years ago and have been happily on 125gr of levothyroxine since then.

Had a blood test done recently and my thyroid is now over active :confused: Doc has reduced to 100gr and will review at the end of Feb. It takes about 8 weeks for a change to register with the thyroid function.

I am having trouble keeping weight on, some of you would probably pay me millions to be in this problem !

I am not fasting, eating more, but still dropping or not gaining to get back to target.

After 7 months of bliss, portion control, lower carbs (not intentionally, just cutting the potion sizes) and enjoying fasts. I am struggling to eat more. I don't want to get used to bigger portions, eating anything and everything as it doesn't feel 'that' good to be doing it.

Can you help with some ideas on what I could eat more of ? I am starting to feel a bit bloated with introducing a bit of bread (with the soup) and extra food. Having a knock on effect of not feeling hungry as much either.

As I have a few weeks of this (weight issue), need to eat more for a bit :frown: Dosage will prob come down again after the next review.

So looking for something healthy ish to level me out !
Re: I need to eat more !
06 Feb 2014, 07:38
I would say to up the fats and fruit rather than the processed foods. If you can't stomach that much extra fruit try some dried fruit, a handful of dried fruit and some nuts would be a perfect combination of high energy, vitamin packed foods.
06 Feb 2014, 07:41
Hadn't thought of dried fruit!
06 Feb 2014, 08:01
Yeah, I was going to say just try upping your fat intake rather than carbs.
06 Feb 2014, 08:01
Another thought is to look at the paleo diet for grain free treats that are packed with nutrients but won't cause bloating. There are some lush cakes that can be made with ground almonds instead of flour.
06 Feb 2014, 09:33
:heart: @Minigill I've been refeeding my body since last Fri but could only manage 4 full days is 3 meals a day because of the awful bloated feelings returning so because of what I've read on here and as Julieathome said upping your fat intake and handful of nuts few times daily I didn't know fruits would do so that's new to me but others have said bringing back into their day olive oil and butter, there is a thread on the forum somewhere about upping the
fat intake. :heart:
I really hope that anything you try in the next few weeks helps you to at least maintain this you deserve as you made your goals brilliantly considering your health issues.
:clover: Good. Luck in finding an "interim" solution. :clover:
06 Feb 2014, 09:36
if you're not veggie - make sure you have a steak once a week, and don,t cut off the fat :cool:
Good luck M - what a problem to have!
06 Feb 2014, 10:02
Wow I should have to eat more!! Jealous! Good news that your thyroid is improving, that is wonderful. Fruit cake springs to mind, topped with flaked almonds and full cream. Drooling now.
06 Feb 2014, 16:16
Macadamia nuts are 700 cals for 100 g and are my go-to food to bump up my calories without feeling bloated. I also add more butter and olive oil to my meals.
06 Feb 2014, 17:35
Thanks all, will have a re think for next weeks food !

I don't have a sweet tooth so no cakes to worry about.

Will add a steak (never cut the fat off, thats the best bit!), plus some nuts.

Might just be enough to stabilize me. I feel rather scrawny so need my few pounds back on!

Got a weekend away in Yorkshire this Saturday, so a nice cooked breakfast at a farm shop on the moors Sunday, then traveling around sightseeing, ending up in York. Local curry house Sat night. Oh, and on the way up, Jaffa cake ice cream at a farm shop again ! Won't be trying new eating plans this weekend :)

I WILL take advantage of this interim blip and enjoy :)

My current eating habits on 5/2 are that I am full after soup lunch time and my evening dinner is fullfilling, so not so easy 'just' to eat more, but could take out some carb stuff and add meat & nuts and get the extra cals that way.
06 Feb 2014, 17:41
Oh sorry about that. I know that in theory, being hyperthyroid is supposed to be a dream, but I felt AWFUL when my thyroid was hyper. I would get drastically low blood sugar, I'd be weak and shaky, and soooooo tired, but I couldn't sleep because I felt wired!

Just be gentle to yourself and eat whenever you're hungry. Then eat until just satisfied. :-) I hope you're feeling better soon
06 Feb 2014, 17:52
Having been hyper twice, was off the scale first time round! The radio iodine didn't work and I went sky high again. After that treatment I ended up with Graves eye disease :frown: This I will have for life now.

Then removal and things leveled quickly with the correct dose.

Now I think I am just a bit high as I only have a few problems. Eyes are very sore (nothing new), but are worse, migraines more regular, hair loss.

I didn't notice whilst loosing weight so I think its only recent its gone a bit high ! I had to do fasts to loose weight, not carry on eating everyday and still see a loss and no gains :wink:

Doc is still thrilled with my loss and said we just need to level you out again :smile:

Anyone taking replacement thyroid pills, I would recommend talking with the doctor and have regular bloods tests every couple of months to monitor.
12 posts Page 1 of 1