The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

21 posts Page 1 of 2
I'm hooked on low carb.

The food is so satiating and really helps with overeating.

I'm going to buy the new Atkins book coming out this month; I think it's called Atkins Done Easy. I'm not on Atkins but I read they'll be giving budget-minded tips and recipes and lots of ideas for those who don't like cooking (hand raised).

I think between 5:2 and reducing my carbs, I will finally get out of the "obese" BMI category. I'm so happy, you'll never know.

Anyone else?
There are many high fat, low carbers here (including me). Lot's of tips and recipe's on this thread. Check out FatDog who is a low carb vegetarian too. :like: :like:
Me too!

After a plateau I had a significant weight plummet last week (my weight chart looks like the Himalayan sky line!) during which I consumed an entire tub of Tesco finest thick Jersey cream - a generous portion of raspberries and cream kills all interest in food for hours and hours. :smile:
Same here, as soon as a high carb food passes my lips the cravings start. I am sat here, having snaffled 3 chocolates from the tin on the counter at the Pharmacy, and am now looking at the cherry bakewell tarts with a 'just one won't hurt' thought in my head.
So instead I'm off to my shed in gale force winds and slashing rain, because I'm trying to be good.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad I'm not alone with this carb thing!
Its the only way I've been able to shift any weight and its brought my blood glucose right down. I was pre-diabetic but I knew from testing at home that I was getting well into diabetic ranges.

I still get tempted by chocolate but its absolutely fatal! It sets off dreadful cravings all over again. I never learn though! :confused:

Didn't know there was a new Atkins book. Will have to keep a look out for it. I tend to stick more to the LCHF style as there is less protein. I find too much protein and not enough fat can stall me.
Good observation and it's the same here.

For me, reducing carbs stops my craving and I think this is because I'm not getting the spike in blood sugar which is followed by a severe drop that gives you that craving after your body deals with the excess sugars floating around your blood - some people call this called the "sugar dance" and that's one dance I want to avoid

A lot of breakfast cereals are pure carbs, even something like "special K" that's promoted as a "healthy cereal", so having a breakfast of a bowl of cereal, milk and may be raisins is going to give you a huge sugar dump ... I only just realised this a few months ago!! and I thought I was doing so well

Anyway, all this to say I'm a fan of low carbs and if you do eat carbs, make sure they are complex - after all, you still need fiber for a healthy digestive system
miffy, your pics are incredible! CONGRATULATIONS!
miffy, please share - what is the difference between doing low carb and doing low carb high fat? I thought they were the same? Thanks for sharing any information you can give. I'm just counting carbs and not really worrying about the ratio between protein and fats. How do you do that? Thanks.
jen, I take psyllium fiber every day, so I'm ok there. I've found that even "healthy" complex carbs like brown rice, etc. make me so hungry.
The main difference is keeping the protein modest too. Atkins has way too much protein for me. Also if you watch the Moseley video, it cautions against too much protein as it is better to keep you IGF-1 levels down to minimise health risks announces/5-2-diet-faq-t246.html#faq27

My average fat intake is between 60g and 110g per day, protein is normally under 40g and carbs between 50g and 100g.
Julieathome wrote: Same here, as soon as a high carb food passes my lips the cravings start. I am sat here, having snaffled 3 chocolates from the tin on the counter at the Pharmacy, and am now looking at the cherry bakewell tarts with a 'just one won't hurt' thought in my head.
So instead I'm off to my shed in gale force winds and slashing rain, because I'm trying to be good.

And dare I ask what's going on in your shed Julie!

Carbs are definitely eaten in moderation in my house these days. Agreed
Is that why when I pick out a handful of Cheerios in the evening I then end up eating at least two bowls?!

Bean :confused:
Thanks Cathgal. Its taken a very long time but I don't mind too much as I feel so much better eating like this.

As Rawkaren has said, LCHF is more moderate in protein. If you are very insulin resistant its best to keep protein down as your body can actually manufacture glucose from protein. The aim is to get it to burn fat so that its happy to burn a bit of your own fat between meals!
LCHF works for me too.. I just feel sooooo much healthier, inside and out and I feel much more happy and positive too. Carbs make me depressed and lethargic and cause an addictive response in me! I usually have between 5-20g a day (veg/nuts)
Yes! I used to eat 3 meals plus morning and arvo tea of fruit or sushi roll - half a naan bread for breakfast, leftover spag bol for lunch and then I would feel tired- so that's 5 meals! And I was usually hungry for them. Now I know it was the carbs spiking my insulin or I like the term I think Jen used " the sugar dance" now I have no breakfast and for lunch I have chicken and pistachio salad or beef and cashew salad with a tablespoon of creamy dressing and a teaspoon or two of Changs crunchy noodles for texture and fun! I feel totally satisfied and I can only describe it as 'clean and light' instead of lethargic like I did after having a carb heavy lunch. I'm still getting used to the high fat thing. I've reintroduced butter and I'm soooo happy. :grin: I even bought a retro glass dish and lid for it but because I only eat my sourdough toast once or so a week the butter isn't getting used often. All the high fat things I've avoided for years now I have to remind myself that I can have them now. So happy.
Xxx julianna
21 posts Page 1 of 2