The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
IGF-1 increasing with 5-2?!
19 Dec 2013, 20:06
One of Swedens biggest newspaper has a series of articles where they follow four person during their diet with 5.2.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/halsa/article ... easer=true

They measure a lot of values in their bodies as the diet progresses, among those the one that interest me the most, IGF-1.

The last article is from after they have been on the diet for 2-3 months. I was really surprised to see that for two of them, their IGF-1 levels had risen a bit since the start. For one it had sunk (person 4 they did not mention regarding to IGF-1).

How come it had risen? I thought the main thing about 5-2 was that the IGF-1 levels should sink so the body would repair itself.

Can anyone explain these results?
Re: IGF-1 increasing with 5-2?!
19 Dec 2013, 20:35
Welcome! Possibly protein levels? announces/5-2-diet-faq-t246.html#faq27
19 Dec 2013, 22:07
Can't read the whole article as it's paywalled. I'd guess protein intake was not low enough. The research shows that lowering protein as well as calories is needed to reduce IGF1 in primates whereas in rats calorie restriction alone was sufficient.

Can you see in the article what the participants were eating on feed days and fast days?
03 Jan 2014, 10:34
It seems like one of them were cheating on her diet the last month and the other were eating meat yes. Thanks for the feedback!
4 posts Page 1 of 1