The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Insufficient Carbs?
04 Apr 2014, 20:27
Well I'm hoping someone with lots of knowledge can answer this question can we actually eat insufficient carbohydrates?

I'm on a new plan with @Debs over in the 16:8:eating window tent and @carorees was advising her to go low carb to get into "fat burning mode" and I've a window of opportunity for at least 4 days, today is day one and I've had little to none carbs is this OK or should I have aimed at a daily total of 20 grams?
my chocolate is ready and waiting!!!
Re: Insufficient Carbs?
04 Apr 2014, 20:58
Our bodies don't need any carbs at all. They do, however, need some vitamins and minerals that are in high levels in certain plants that also contain some carbs so that's why the induction phase of the low carb diets is just a week or two. Then they tend to introduce carb containing veg like carrots etc. You should eat plenty of veg of the low carb variety during this induction phase and that will probably take you up to 20g! I don't know what the current Atkins recommendation is but it used to be 2 cupfuls of veg a day during induction. This very low carb intake should force your body to burn fat.

People who are very insulin resistant need to keep carbs down long term, others can introduce more, very gradually until they stop losing weight or start to gain. Once you know your personal carb limit you know what your average should be.
04 Apr 2014, 21:06
Thank you Caroline I became confused after reading the
Atkins induction phase, I've held off with the chocolate so maybe a early night would be the best idea.
04 Apr 2014, 22:24
Thanks caro, I have had some red pepper and cucumber, and have some salady bits bits for tonight too, I hate going without veg, doesn't seem natural to me!

Good luck @Sue.Q! I am going again today, a lovely lady left me two Atkins choc nut bars on the desk for some creepy intuitive reason so I will have one tonight to feed my post dinner sweet craving. Before anyone says anything, yes I KNOW they are packed full of junk, but hey, I don't care!!! :lol:
Had my piece of 88% choc last night and savoured every morsel. Interestingly, it had less carbs than the 100%.
4 posts Page 1 of 1