The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Interim clothes
19 Dec 2015, 17:58
Do you ... or don't you buy new clothes to fit your new size, when you plan to be that size only a little while before becoming even more svelte?
I've lost 22lbs now (yea!), with 7-14lbs to go.
Various trousers got to the point where if I forgot to wear a belt I could take them off without undoing them - some were dangerously close to falling down all on their own. Buying a pair that fit was a revelation! The style of 'disguise the spare tyre' tops I used to buy is still fine - but, wonderfully, other styles suit me too now; changing rooms are a completely different experience. But the biggest lesson was the photos from a couple of 'do's' in the Autumn - following which I took emergency action & bought bras that fit!
So what do other people do - are you hitting the pre-Xmas sales for clothes for the interim you, or accepting baggy as a style choice till you achieve your target?
Re: Interim clothes
19 Dec 2015, 20:01
WarriorPrincess my situation too, I am over two thirds of the way to goal.
I try on and if the clothes seem to fit I ask an assistant for their honest opinion as to whether I should change the size. So far they have suggested DOWN or a change of style/shape, and they are honest as it is a department I have often shopped in and they want me to return. I have gone from size 16/18/large down to 14/medium but am keeping to an essential wardrobe so that I can look respectable at 'do's' and events over the seasonal period. Some of the old pairs of trousers can be worn with a belt for working around the house, the very large have been consigned to the charity shop.. Apart from one pair of trousers I have kept to very modest prices but hopefully of a reasonable quality. Tops I am happy to have a little baggier if necessary and at this time of year will usually consist of a warm jumper (although not in our current temperatures).
That is my view on my situation, I enjoy looking at clothes now and am happy to try things on and see myself in a mirror but most of all I am appreciating the complimentary comments from so many people.
20 Dec 2015, 18:41
When I was in that in-between stage, I often bought things in charity shops. It was a cheap way to buy clothes to see me through and went back to the charity shop when I reached my ideal weight.
20 Dec 2015, 19:16
I debated buying size 16 when I finally got down to that size (from 22). I would like to end up a size 12. But I figured it was good for my self esteem to be in a smaller size and the 18s and 20s had to go. So I didn't buy much and I bought it all at steep discounts.

I got to size 16 almost two years ago and I've stayed there since >.< So those clothes I ended up buying were a good investment.

In any case, I would buy at least 1 or 2 smaller sweaters that show off your new figure. A nice cashmere or merino wool turtleneck could be very flattering and will still look great after you lose another 7 pounds. I've learned the hard way that pants have a "give" of about 10 pounds or so. So if you buy them where they barely fit now, you can still wear them and look good in them if you lose 7 pounds.

I wouldn't buy a ton, but I do think the emotional lift from wearing smaller clothes is a great thing.
21 Dec 2015, 20:01
I've been losing so slowly, and already had the proverbial "dieter's wardrobe" of a range of sizes, that I haven't needed to buy a lot. Though I have invested in some belts, to keep pants from falling off! That's good, yet not. And a few dress pants, since it's more important that those fit decently. I am very cheap when buying clothes and generally buy on sale or from thrift stores (if you are picky and careful, you can get some high-quality stuff for practically nothing!). Heck, I got a pair of Dansko's (yeah, I know, shoes not clothes) barely worn for $8, probably at least $150 new. One thing I didn't expect, though: Some tops have gotten loosey-goosey and want to fall off my shoulders! :lol: Sometimes I forget that I don't have to wear big baggy tops to disguise my middle anymore--not that it's where I'd like it to be, but it's better!
26 Dec 2015, 19:14
I mostly wear shirts and skirts or leggins and long jumper-dresses and I'm quite tall (180 cm), therefore although I have lost 15 kg total in the last two years, I still can wear some pieces of my wardrobe. I replaced few pieces with new ones in different style, as I tend to like more sporty/streetwear and one-colour clothes now.

What I particulary enjoy is to buy new workout clothes :) I think I have more of these than regular clothes..
6 posts Page 1 of 1