The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Hah, at the beginning (based on early losses) I thought I'd be at goal in less than a year. Sigh...two years in, still not to goal, plateaued. And I also thought--based on MM--that I'd have moved to 6:1. However, from what I see here, no one has maintained (within 5lbs/2kg of goal weight) successfully on 6:1, though many use 16/8 or some version of windows. Now, as I'm nowhere near my "desired" weight, this is more an informational than burning question; but I am curious... Perhaps us middle-aged ladies are DIFFERENT from a man who wasn't really that overweight to begin with? :shock:
I was maintaining successfully for two years and only had to do a 600-700 cal fast every 2-3 weeks, and skip the odd meal here and there. But since the start of this year I have not been able to maintain and this morning was 2.5 kg above my 'allowable range' despite regularly fasting over the last 6-8 weeks. I couldn't do it yesterday and am giving myself a little break from it. I've just turned 49 so I wonder whether this is the start of menopause and making it all that little bit harder to keep weight off. My breasts had pretty much shrunk in reaching a BMI of around 22 but recently they've gone up a cup size. My thighs are a bit bigger but thankfully my waist has remained the same.
I was maintaining successfully with a 6:1 until last year's event. At that time I decided to go another way because I couldn't eat anyway so to fast, even for just one day a week, could lead me to some issues. Since I went back to fasting, I decided to do 5:2 or 4:3, depending of the week and how I feel but it's because they are more reassuring to me that just 6:1. They are the control I don't necessarily get in other parts of my life. I will probably go back to 6:1 in a while, when everything will be a little more quiet. I could not do 16;8 as I love my breakfast and I don't really feel comfortable with a window, I prefer the structure of a regular fast.
ferretgal wrote: Perhaps us middle-aged ladies are DIFFERENT from a man who wasn't really that overweight to begin with? :shock:

I think you're right there!

I believe that reduced oestrogen levels raise insulin resistance and so as we enter menopause we have to be more careful of things that release insulin and so worsen insulin resistance, namely carbs/sugar, high protein, stress, inflammation, poor sleep, frequent snacking. Fasting obviously helps but unfortunately menopause often results in worse sleep and as fasting is mildly stressful on the body it could be that adding more fasting won't do the trick and attention to the other factors I've mentioned is needed.

However, the ideal BMI as we get older goes up, so a very slow creeping weight gain and especially if your waist is not growing may not necessarily be a cause for great concern.
carorees wrote:
ferretgal wrote: Perhaps us middle-aged ladies are DIFFERENT from a man who wasn't really that overweight to begin with? :shock:

Can only confirm from the other perspective: being a middle aged guy who wasn't really that overweight, I need even less than 1 fast a week to maintain (lucky me). Do take into account that 'not really that overweight' was also the result of some regular exercise and not overeating that much on non-fast days (something I have not changed)
Nearly a year ago since I started and I seem to have settled at about 6- 9 lbs above my minimum weight of 114.8 lbs doing one or two fasts per week depending on what happens on non fast days! Must admit I find it harder to maintain than to lose weight. Maybe it'll be easier when the warmer weather arrives?
Hi,
I've been maintaining for two and half years by scheduling a fast whenever my weight creeps up to 2 pounds or more above goal--sometimes that's once a week; or every two weeks; or even less often.

I'm 75 and should be post-menopausal except that I've been using the estrogen patch and progesterone capsule continuously since my early fifties--does that make me still pre-menopausal? :wink: :smile: Maybe that's why I'm finding it so successful.

Seriously, as a retired person, I have time for exercise and have found classes and home videos that I like--that has a lot to do with my general good health and weight loss maintenance, I think.
At 64 and wit.h ME I have found loosing and maintaining very difficult. Also I had to give up,5.2ing as it was affecting my mental health. I am presently trying to loose weight doing 16.8, but after some inital success I seem to have hit a plateau. I am sure that it get harder as you get older. Doesn't help that son cooks himself a full english 4h before I am due my 2 boiled eggs! Only answer is to keep goingand hope.
P-JK wrote:
carorees wrote:

Can only confirm from the other perspective: being a middle aged guy who wasn't really that overweight, I need even less than 1 fast a week to maintain (lucky me). Do take into account that 'not really that overweight' was also the result of some regular exercise and not overeating that much on non-fast days (something I have not changed)

OK, at the risk of sounding a little defensive...MANY of us (ladies) haven't "overeaten" and have exercised regularly and have still found it difficult to lose weight and/or maintain a loss. The skinnies attitude that "If you're fat, you eat too much and are lazy" doesn't apply to everyone. I eat healthier than the vast majority of people I know (note that while I do live in the States, known for too large portions and iffy choices, I also am in Seattle, which is a pretty health-conscious area); I'm vegetarian (though that's for ethical, not health, reasons), I don't eat fast food, I don't eat anything with HFCS or artificial flavoring/coloring/sweetener... and when I do indulge in an occasional treat, I go for the "good stuff" (high quality: Whole Foods or local French bakery)...and I won't give up bread and beer (though not on light days, of course!). So yeah, it's frustrating; but as I'm approaching my second fastiversary, I feel good about the progress I've made, and choose to focus on that, rather than not being at my ideal weight. Maybe someday... :grin:
I guess all these responses just go to show that we each need to find what works for us.

I've just passed the two year mark since I started 5:2, 18 months of that has been in maintenance which has comprised of a relaxed version of 6:1 (I fast for 18-20 hours and don't count the calories in the evening meal...it's just a smaller than normal meal). My weight has fluctuated pretty much within the 2kg maintenance range I've given myself, leaving myself in a BMI range of 23-23.5 (so not too low a healthy BMI). Add to that that I'm 174cm in height and 42 in age with no indication of menopause approaching, and I've not had an extensive history of dieting throughout my life. Incidental walking (ie reaching my 10000 steps in my day-to-day life) is my main exercise, and I keep thinking I should add some weight bearing exercise for health reasons, but haven't found that motivation yet.

I guess, summation of my experience, pick which of those factors (or others that I haven't listed) that means this method works for my body right now. Our bodies are such complex systems it's hard to give any hard-and-fast prescriptions of what will work.
P-JK wrote: Do take into account that 'not really that overweight' was also the result of some regular exercise and not overeating that much on non-fast days (something I have not changed)

Just to be sure: the only intention of mentioning this was to provide some context to my personal situation, not to imply anything on anyone else: just to let you know that my current food intake on non-fast days is only slightly above TDEE (which contributes to not having to fast that often).
And to be absolutely sure: my situation does confirm the idea that it might be different for men and women, the only point I wanted to make :smile:
@P-JK, please excuse my crankiness; guess I shouldn't be surprised that Life ain't fair, in weight loss as in life! :curse: Just trying to count my blessings (5.2 amongst them), as I had given up on losing weight--had just been down that road too many times and wasn't interested the same old, same old. Glad that 5.2 is the answer, even though I hadn't asked the question... :smile:
For 6:1 to work for maintenance, you need to be more aware of calories on eating days. There is not much of a deficit created with 1 fast day, so there is less flexibility on eating days. For this to be successful, you would need a good concept of portion size, with sensible eating most days or count calories.
13 posts Page 1 of 1