The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

28 posts Page 1 of 2
I just can't do it. Two days is enough for me. I will make this work for me just counting two days. Counting every single day is just one more diet.

Is anyone else NOT counting on their eating days and losing? Thanks!
I didn't after the first few weeks , I'm maintaining now and I still don't!
Like Merlin says we need to be aware of what we're eating at first otherwise how do you know you're not going over TDEE. Most people leave their cals for one meal in the eve. But I'd try for a while just until you settle in. Also I personally find it keeps me on check to log food every now and then just to see how I'm doing.
Are you using the tracker, it's private or visible. You check mine out by pressing the cog on my name plate!

Good luck.
ME! Haven't counted a non fast day calorie since starting nearly three years ago.
lost over 10kg and am keeping it off with a slightly more relaxed 4:3.
If you really know how many cals are in food and are very aware of portion sizes then all is good. If you need a reminder or a refresher, then it is probably worthwhile counting for a couple of weeks just to get into it. But it's not necessary in my opinion
Hi @_SherylJoyce_ welcome to the forum.
I don't ever count - not on non fast days nor on fast days (it's easier for me to eat no calories - avoids the counting :grin: )
I thought the whole point of fasting was that you didn't have to count calories ... but I guess you want to have some idea of what you're eating ... and be aware roughly of how many calories different foods have ...
Good luck with your fast tomorrow :clover:
welcome & good luck, @cheryljoyce! I completely refuse to count calories on non-fast days, it does my head in and just makes me rebellious. But I do keep a rough idea of carbs in - like one standard serving of carb (like 1 slice bread - low GI of course - or one piece of fruit, one cup of milk etc) is 10-15g, so if I'm being more carb-aware & trying for around 90g on replenish days, that's around 6 serves of carbs. Since I've had type 2 diabetes for nearly 15 years now, it's kind of second nature. But it is just a rough guide.

oh the tag is @_sheryljoyce_
I've been maintaining about 18 months by recording weight daily and scheduling a fast day whenever the weight creeps up--usually every 2 weeks or so. I know what to eat on fast days so I don't count calories any more even then. My eating habits on non fast days have changed somewhat--more fat, protein, fruit and veg, far fewer carbs.

I know this doesn't work for everyone, but when I already know what's high calorie and what's not, there's no need for me to count.
After years of "observing" calories, I pretty much a general ballpark of what simple foods represent in calories. So, even on fast days, I will usually just keep it simple and routine and know about how many calories I consume. I've become used to a different way of eating--for lack of a better word, "a cleaner" way of eating. I don't eat nearly as much as I used to, and I don't feel well if I do eat too much. As Marybeth said, more protein, veggies, fruit, easy on the carbs seems to work. When I am at a restaurant or celebrating, I just stop when I'm full and don't worry about it. I don't do that a whole lot. Seems to work!
Mostly I don't count on non-fast days, though I've used counting as a tool when I know I'm overeating on non-fast days.

When I started, though, given that clearly "normal" eating for me was making me overweight, I kept a food diary on non-fast days. But then my appetite changed, overeating made me uncomfortable, and even keeping the diary didn't seem necessary.

Finally, have you tried an app like My Fitness Pal? It makes calorie counting a lot easier.
@_SherylJoyce_, I don't count, usually even on light days. As you say, that would make it just another freakin' diet! I have tracked for short periods (using MyFitnessPal) just to make sure I'm on track; but I have a pretty good sense of calories. Unlike many others here, I don't limit carbs on normal days; once again, that'd make it just another limited diet that I KNOW I'll ultimately rebel against. I've lost 32lbs so far (in a little over a year) and continue to lose, slowly. However, as I've written elsewhere on the forum, I've already achieved my most important goals: no more knee and foot pain, and blood pressure is down. So, my plan is just to keep going, 2 days a week of 500 calories, and 5 days a week of "normal" eating. If I lose more, wonderful; if not, c'est la vie.
I do not count any calories, Ever. When I started this 5:2 way of eating I used a cookbook to tell me how many cals the meal had. Or I bought something from the shop that had less than 500 calories. Or was it 300, since then I had eggs for breakfast.
How do I know I do not overeat? Well, I weigh myself every morning. What really helped me, was a thread here about short people. I am about 5 foot 2 (159,5 cm). So I eat a minimal lunch nowadays. Low carb rye bread, thin slice, with butter and Marmite. If I have desserts and other carb things, my weight goes up. Then I fast more. I too love the power this way of eating gives me. I am in control. I no longer obsess about food. I like food. I am maintaining now. No, I do not even count calories now when fasting. I have the same food as my slim husband. But LOWER carb. He has potatoes with the meat, I have salad or broccoli or cauliflower or zucchini or.... It has been a trial and error way for me. I know now which foods make me fat and I try to avoid those. It is amazing how I do not like sweet things anymore!!!
Hi Guys,

Well I do count everyday but it's because I enjoy it lol. I :heart: My Fitness Pal, but I'm a gadget girl. I understand that most people see counting calories as the same as every other diet but also some people believe 'eat what you like on none fast days' equals eat how you used too and quite simple, it doesn't. Im lucky in that fasting 2/3 days does what it's meant to do, naturally reduces my appitite on none fast days. After an entire life of being mostly overweight and going up to 268lbs losing weight for me has had to become almost a hobby! That sounds strange I know but I also know just how easy it is to go back slowly but surely to how I have always eaten, Very high carb! I :love: fasting I really do. Who would think that losing weight would be so much fun and interesting!?

I like, on none fast days to eat what I like but what I like has started to change quite a bit. I am a mindful eater now and only eat when I'm hungry only have 2 meals and rarely snack. I don't eat regular potatoes, I have the odd sweet potatoe, I eat brown rice once a week, cous cous once a week and tend to have salads (something I never did before) with a rare steak or lamb/pork chop and veg when cooking at home on none fast days. I pretty much eat around 11/1200 cals naturally on none fast days. When I do pay more attention is when I eat out which is generally 2/3 times a week. I tend to have peanut butter spread on a banana for lunch and have plenty of cals for dinner. If I feel a bit peckish I'll have a skinny cappuccino (gives me my milk quota) or a couple of mini Babybels. I tend to have steak and salad if I eat out on a fast day and sometimes on none fast days 8oz sirloin and side salad comes in under 500 cals. I finish off on none fast days with a nice cappuccino which is like dessert to me. But sometimes I'll have a lasagna (nice treat as I don't eat pasta these days) minus the bread (I only eat low GI bread which is delicious). And on Saturdays I sometimes really enjoy going for some Singapore noodles with beef and a starter of peanut satay. No where near as naughty as it tastes or you would think lol.

So yes, I love tracking via My Fitness Pal but a lot of that is self praise because I tend to add it after I have eaten and then I'm really pleased that I have naturally eaten well under my TDEE of 1950.

It is each to their own but for new people to fasting one of my top tips, in fact tip 1 is to count and weigh EVERYTHING, and once you get a hang of it relax that. I think we should all remind ourselves every now and then what an actual tablespoon serving is. I know a LOT of people that regard 1/4 cup as a tbsp :bugeyes: Lol. So I think it's good to occasionally remind ourselves what a serving size is etc.

Whatever way works for you, stick with it but it's always good to hear how others fast and eat and a great way to pick up good ideas to incorporate into your own diet.
No I don't count on non fast days. I have whatever I want but all those years of eating healthy are a mainstay. I have never overeaten, just high cal foods made me podgy.
I have never counted calories, not on the way to my target or since reaching the maintenance stage. However, I did come to this WOL with a history of meticulous calorie counting over many, many years so I have a very good idea of what are high calorie foods and what aren't.
I would agree that, for people who have no knowledge of the calorie content of food, it would be a good idea to keep track for a few weeks, thus arming themselves with the knowledge of which foods it would be a good idea to cut down on during the weight-loss stage and make maintenance easier in the future.
Why counting calories is pointless: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/ ... ng-part-9/
28 posts Page 1 of 2