The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

39 posts Page 1 of 3
Is this the end of the 'Fad'?
25 Jun 2015, 06:49
Well saw the topic about not counting calories on non fast days and was wondering how many are still counting calories on Fast days? I have noticed fewer and fewer replies in the fasting today threads and at 4.30 pm just went to add my bit on today's fast thread and there isn't one. Monday andThursdays were always the big fasting days. Looks to me like it's coming to the end of an era. I guess so many people have reached their goal weight and no longer need to write about it here, gone to 16:8 or some other method, others fallen by the wayside. Personally my method is more the Krista Varady maintenance of 3x1000 cals and I have found that 3x800 ish gives me weight loss, which would be right according to Varady thinking cals in and cals out balancing = maintaining. Therefore 2x 1500 deficit days = 3x 1000 cal deficit days. Anyway I have found a way that is seriously doable for me, when I go off the rails, slap myself with the wet fish and diet 3 days a week till I lose the weight. I know 2 couples who still do 2 x 500 cal days 2.5 years on, they say it's routine now. What does anyone else think?
Depends on how you broad you define 'fasting' or how narrow '5:2'. Only did real 5:2 for three month to reach target. After that, as many (or in practice 'as few') fasts as needed to maintain (second fastiversary is coming close). Currently 3 months of 6:1 with one day in traditional 5:2 style. However, no need to count calories as I just know how many calories my breakfast and lunch on a fasting day have and my dinner is just a small portion of whatever is on the menu. Not sure if that will be exactly 600 calories, but close enough to make it work for me. In the end most of it is about perception: I do consider myself to be a faster (inspired by the basic idea of 5:2).
That being said, I do notice a feeling of 'many things that are interesting have been touched upon in the forum already'
@MaryAnn interesting. I didn't read all the posts and I guess it is connected, but for example when someone does start a new challenge as in our Wild Winter one started by Sallyo, no one is posting even after committing to It, including me now, as there appeared to be no interest. I continue to restrict my calories and now my posts :razz: my real question is: are people not interested in restricting calories on some days or are they just not posting?
GMH wrote: Well saw the topic about not counting calories on non fast days and was wondering how many are still counting calories on Fast days? I have noticed fewer and fewer replies in the fasting today threads and at 4.30 pm just went to add my bit on today's fast thread and there isn't one. Monday andThursdays were always the big fasting days. Looks to me like it's coming to the end of an era. I guess so many people have reached their goal weight and no longer need to write about it here, gone to 16:8 or some other method, others fallen by the wayside. Personally my method is more the Krista Varady maintenance of 3x1000 cals and I have found that 3x800 ish gives me weight loss, which would be right according to Varady thinking cals in and cals out balancing = maintaining. Therefore 2x 1500 deficit days = 3x 1000 cal deficit days. Anyway I have found a way that is seriously doable for me, when I go off the rails, slap myself with the wet fish and diet 3 days a week till I lose the weight. I know 2 couples who still do 2 x 500 cal days 2.5 years on, they say it's routine now. What does anyone else think?

I'm only in my 19th week of fasting but I still count daily and I'm as on the ball as I was the first day lol.

I have a friend who still does 5:2 after reaching goal, this allows him to maintain and pretty much indulge in beer wine, desserts and take outs on the weekend. His appitite is constantly lowered because of the fasting so he eats smaller amounts than he would have prior to life before fasting.

I've just returned from holiday in the early hours of Monday so I have holiday weight to lose. I can't do that unless I count and keep on track. I can guess at calories on fast days but I pretty much eat similar dishes on those days and just one meal. But I still put it into My Fitness Pal after I've eaten and I weigh everything before I cook it.

I fast Monday/wednesdays and often Fridays. I also like Krista Varadys findings which of course 5:2 is based on. I find I do really well on 3:4 especially when I have to shed gained weight after a weekend away or a holiday. As of today I have lost 6lbs this week by fasting Monday/Wednesday and I had a low cal day (750/800 cals) Tuesday because I was so busy and out a lot. I know some of that will be water but I did eat 10 days worth of desserts and alcohol lol. I've 2lbs more to lose on my Friday fast to be back at my pre holiday weight. I can't wait for next week to start losing (new) weight and hit my goal of -4stone.

I will pop into the fasting threads now I'm back, we all need support to keep going and I often pop into them on none fast days to say good luck. :smile:
Hello everyone,
I've just discovered this site and this is my first post.
I've been very interested for ages and have decided that tomorrow I begin 5:2. Have been doing my research and think I know how it all works so here goes (wish I was as confident in knowing how this forum works and how to post :smile: ). Just to make it easy for myself for the first 2 fast days I've decided I'll make up my calorie allowance for these two days with protein shakes, further on I may have vegetable soups etc. but I really want to start off with it being as easy as possible with not too much choice. I've discovered in the past with all kinds of diets that if I have too much choice I get a little carried away and eat more than I mean to. Mind you, it is winter here in Australia so I may appreciate the vegie soups far more than the protein shakes :smile:
I may not post much but I will be reading everyone's posts and learning from your experiences.
Ani Hope
Hi @GMH Forgive me if I repeat myself but I have just posted this reply to a similar thread "Struggling to Fast this Winter"

I am convinced that we need change in our lives and that our bodies are too complex for us to fully comprehend.
I have decided to take a planned and timed break from 5:2 to avoid a sense of failure and a slow drifting away from a very good WOL.

I started 5:2 straight after the Horizon programme in 2012 and lost most of my weight by Christmas. In January 2013 I stopped because I felt I was too cold to fast through the winter and started again in June 2013 by which time I had put on about 7lb in weight again (1lb gain per month). By Christmas in 2013 I was at goal weight again and stopped again through the coldest winter months. When I started again last June (2014) I promised myself that I would never stop fasting do 5:2 for the rest of my life because I was tired of having to lose weight all the time. However I have been doing 5:2 for 12 months of which I have been maintaining for 7 months.

I the past months, I noticed that I started eating far more after or before a fast day, probably cancelling out my fasts. Something happened psychologically that I felt the need to eat even before a fast day, so I have formally given myself a 6-8 week break from 5:2 . I am hoping that this conscious break during the easier months of the year (summer here) will re-set my system, both mind and body, For me it is important to put a time limit to this break to make me not stray too far away.

I am lucky as over the past years I have come to skip most breakfasts (apart from after a Friday fast when my mind and body think I should have a fried breakfast on Saturday morning :wink: . Eating breakfast at midday or later is no big deal for me so I feel I have the tools to make these 6-8 weeks work for me. I have not fasted these last two weeks (although I had some attempts) and so far I have not been ravenous and managed to maintain my weight.

Experimenting is a key factor when it comes to our well being and diet and we should be kind to ourselves and listen to our bodies when they start telling us that they are struggling. 5:2 is a wonderful tool but I think like all tools we need to know when and how how to use them. We just need to work out what works for us.

I am absolutely sure that I will always come back to the tools and skills that 5:2 have given me. But as PJ-K mentioned - on a forum that has been life for over 2 years most topics have been discussed and what is coming through now are the faithful dieters that are reaching out to help others but also who are discussing the difficult side of any diet. No diet is easy, even if it works (initial enthusiasm) and is sustainable. So it is inevitable that topics like these are raised honestly. However there is the danger, that it might discourage any newcomers.

I don't know if there are less people doing 5:2 now then 3 years ago, but as long as it works and the scientific results are positive, there is a tool and hope out there for anybody who seriously wants to lose weight.
I have also been following the methodology of intermittent fasting since the original programme and whereas it started out as being just 5:2 over the months and years people have adjusted the type of fast and timing of fasts to suit their lifestyle. I can remember when the topics about 16:8 were introduced and how people found it easier to follow this when on holiday or on a business trip and many found it easier to do this than 5:2.
I understand 5:2 was originally about the health benefits was being compared with alternate day fasting and weight loss was a 'side effect' which then became the main reason for many people to start 5:2.
It is so interesting reading the posts of people who successfully lost weight and have maintained their new lower weight as well as those who have noticed a vast improvement in their health.
So, I don't see intemittent fasting as a fad but rather it has evolved over the past few years and is recognised as a practical and long term method of weight control.
I count calories on fast days and non fast days (unless I'm on holiday or special occasion) because if I don't , I don't loose weight its as simple as that.

I've only been here since October last year but even when I'm at goal I am still likely to count as I'm pretty short and have to be mindful of what I eat unless I want to expand.

For me this is the only thing that has ever worked consistently so I'm sticking with it :-)

However I work long days in a pretty full on job so I don't get to get on here as much as I like especially approaching month end but it doesn't mean I have given up :-)
Ani Hope wrote: Hello everyone,
I've been very interested for ages and have decided that tomorrow I begin 5:2. Have been doing my research and think I know how it all works so here goes (wish I was as confident in knowing how this forum works and how to post :smile: ). Just to make it easy for myself for the first 2 fast days I've decided I'll make up my calorie allowance for these two days with protein shakes, further on I may have vegetable soups etc. but I really want to start off with it being as easy as possible with not too much choice. I've discovered in the past with all kinds of diets that if I have too much choice I get a little carried away and eat more than I mean to. Mind you, it is winter here in Australia so I may appreciate the vegie soups far more than the protein shakes :smile:
I may not post much but I will be reading everyone's posts and learning from your experiences.
Ani Hope

Hi Ani and welcome :smile:

Fasting has been one of the best things I've ever done for myself! I hope it will be as great for you.
I also found the site a bit tricky too, people did post to help me and also I literally just clicked on everything lol.

How about joining the the Summer challange thread, don't feel you need to participate in the challange but there's lots of chatter in there and plenty of people to help with tips and advice.

I know what you mean about the choices. I decided a long fast just eating one meal in the evening for me. I don't eat breakfast anyway but whenever I have I found I ate more through the day! Do what works for you but if you start getting bored not eating food on fast days we can hrlp with quick and easy recipes. I'm not a fan of cooking and live alone but I've come up with some lovely FAST and Tasty dinners for 350/450 cals.

Good luck and hope to hear from you soon. :smile:
Unfortunately forums do have cycles of popularity and quiet spells. We're always a bit quieter come the summer that's for sure, but I suspect as per the other topic about it being quiet here, a lot of folks are still reading but less are actually posting. I can say for sure it's still routine for me to have a couple of VLC days (sometimes nearer 700, but hey ho). I guess as we get used to it we feel less need for support here even if we do still read around. Of course another issue is that the official site seems to be outranking us in Google these days (plus has lots of outside marketing, ie the books etc) and so a lot of the newbies end up there rather than here. I'm sure if we had a higher influx of newbies then more oldbies would be posting to welcome them & help them out.

I'd love to get things a bit more active here and welcome any suggestions... although I suspect our ranking is the main culprit!
@Ieramul interesting read. I also no longer do 500 cal fasts as I too get the need to eat too much so I won't starve mental thing going on and find higher cal days (under 1000) generally help with this. I am sceptical about the health benefits as my bloods were not better and some worse (sugar) after fasting as I eat waaay more carbs since fasting than before, because I have found I can and lose weight by cutting calories 3 days a week. @Moogie my thoughts aren't so much how quiet forum is, rather no one seems to fast in previous numbers and also there is no talk on the street about fasting. In the early years everyone was asking me about it, now people have tried, failed, moved on. For me the fasting today thread is helpful in helping me stick the fast out of I have committed to It, but that's as much about my personality as anything (sticking to what I have committed to). Anyway I do suspect the world views this as another fad, unless there is another doco comes out with more human research.
@GMH You are right people need to be constantly stimulated by the media and new programs to get motivated. Also, I am sure that fasting is more easy for some than for others. Those who find it easier, will come back again and again and others will try out new diets.
Ani Hope wrote: Hello everyone,
Ani Hope

Hi @Ani welcome to this site and I wish you lots of success with this WOL. If you have any questions, please ask. I agree, veggie soups are great in the winter.
For some tech reason I could not access you this morning and this evening till 2 hours ago. FIRST time I have not signed up to our Thursday fast day. Did anyone have a problem starting off the fast thread?
Love my fast thread. x
39 posts Page 1 of 3