The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi folks,

I am returning to the UK shortly from Australia and have one on those wonderful multi stop long drawn out flights that will pass me through time zones and confuse not only my mind but my body too.

I don't know why but it is causing me concern as I am doing so well so far but I don't want a hiccup to set me back. I see the lure of the foods on the planes (weird I know but I like em) just too much and I gobble them all up. Really I think it's more to do with being bored than anything.

So my dilemma is that I currently fast on Mon/Tues/Wed. My flight leaves Oz on the Wed and I arrive on the Thurs. Of course it's not that simple. I don't want to shift my fast to the weekend as am reuniting with OH and would like a little flex in the meals.
So, does anyone have any advice for me?
A.
Fasting today and looking forward to dinner tonight
Here's what I would do, I would fast during the trip. I can't eat when I have a long trip anyway. I always used to take water, coffee, some dry fruits and nuts but they were just in case. You don't need to keep the same fast days over and over again, that's the beauty of it. If you need to or want to you can switch. So try to enjoy your trip and to not overthink, I am pretty sure it will makes things a bit easier :wink:
I take those little glad freezer boxes full of cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, cherries, blueberries, etc. Also maybe a couple of boiled eggs for protein. They say a good way to adjust to your new time zone is to fast on the plane, then have a big meal at the right time in your new time zone. This tends to work for me on the way to the US/UK (from Japan) but not on the way back.
Dilemma! I am rather fond of airline food especially if we are fortunate enough to be in business! I haven't done long haul, just medium and I eat. I have a light day/fast the day before and don't eat until in the air, then I take what's on offer.
When I land, I try to get into the time zone and eat the appropriate meal, only if I need it. Nex day , I try another light day then go for the usual routine as soon as i can. I do find though that I tend to do 'windows' rather than full fasts but it seems to work for me.
The joy of this WOE is it's flexibility. Try not to stress about a change in eating plan and enjoy the trip and your holiday.
MaryAnn wrote: They say a good way to adjust to your new time zone is to fast on the plane, then have a big meal at the right time in your new time zone. This tends to work for me on the way to the US/UK (from Japan) but not on the way back.

Several studies have shown this to be true, so if you want to minimize jetlag, try fasting en route.
I have made such flights a few times, and I chose to fast during my trip. It has worked well for me, and has actually been easier than fasting at home. If you for some reason love plane food, it may be tough for you. :)
6 posts Page 1 of 1