The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

40 posts Page 3 of 3
Re: Low Carb, High Fat?
02 Nov 2013, 14:31
But maybe do it slowly? I used to think I could never eat less than 150g a day and it's been a gradual thing and therefore not as hard as I had been contemplating - I think today will come in at about 70g and I'd never have thought that possible a few weeks ago. Someone once posted on here (I think it was Julieathome) that you should just do what is workable for you and I think that's good advice - if you have porridge in a morning because you like it and it fills you up then great - 120g carbs is still a lot lower than the average.....and just look at how much you've lost anyhow!
02 Nov 2013, 14:38
Yes, I suppose so. I didn't think of it like that.... and thank you for that precious reminder x

I'm already at maintenance, but I'm just finding that I'm so hungry all the time at the moment and craving carbs - and now sugar as well today!! This is almost worse than fasting!!! :starving: I really do think it is related to the time of year - evolution is making my body want to stock up for the "times of scarcity" ahead, so I thought I'd try the high-fat/even-lower carb option to see whether the extra fat would fill me up. Trouble is, although I've reduced my carbs by about 50% today, I don't actually seem to have upped my fat.... not sure what I can add, without adding yet more carbs... don't particularly fancy munching on a corner of butter!!! :confused:
Veggie carbs...
02 Nov 2013, 14:47
You might find this list useful (thought it'd be more useful if it listed grams of carb per 100g) @Domane http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whatto ... hatveg.htm. 'Ordinary' mushrooms are really low-carb, though shiitakes are a bit high.

I'd reckon you're pretty safe scranning kilograms of anything in the list up to the broccoli and then one needs to exercise a little caution there after... :)
02 Nov 2013, 15:04
Thank you, FatDog! Will have a look. Erm... what do we think of Whole Earth no added sugar peanut butter?
02 Nov 2013, 15:05
Domane wrote: Yes, I suppose so. I didn't think of it like that.... and thank you for that precious reminder x

I'm already at maintenance, but I'm just finding that I'm so hungry all the time at the moment and craving carbs - and now sugar as well today!! This is almost worse than fasting!!! :starving: I really do think it is related to the time of year - evolution is making my body want to stock up for the "times of scarcity" ahead, so I thought I'd try the high-fat/even-lower carb option to see whether the extra fat would fill me up. Trouble is, although I've reduced my carbs by about 50% today, I don't actually seem to have upped my fat.... not sure what I can add, without adding yet more carbs... don't particularly fancy munching on a corner of butter!!! :confused:

Cheese, eggs, nuts and ham......
02 Nov 2013, 15:10
Oh yes @Domane!

But there's a jolly strange discrepancy in carb grams between the 'Original' peanut butter in a 454g jar (about 7.4g / 100g) and the 'Organic' one in a 340g jar (14.2g / 100g). Weird.

I've the wee pot (considerably cheaper per gram at Tesco) and it's delicious.
02 Nov 2013, 15:14
Please can we declare this the lo carbers thread?
02 Nov 2013, 15:24
My favorite brekkie is grated apple with chia seeds, coconut, sultanas and porridge with a generous glug of double cream over the top.
02 Nov 2013, 15:28
Don't make it difficult, small increments. Butter lobbed on the veg, wee things like that, less bread on the side...

The grumpiness is the brain having a hissy fit, it's lying to you to restore normality.
02 Nov 2013, 16:05
BBT053 wrote: The grumpiness is the brain having a hissy fit, it's lying to you to restore normality.

Of course! Thank you! I've had to take my "emotional stomach" to task earlier this year - so I need to re-gain control!!!

Bread??? What's that? :?: :wink:
40 posts Page 3 of 3