The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Miso soup
06 Oct 2013, 15:12
Hey guys I was just wondering where you find miso soup in the UK? Which brand would you recommend? Thanks!!
Re: Miso soup
06 Oct 2013, 15:19
I found Clearspring sachets on special offer in Waitrose a while back, but we don't live near one :frown: so had to buy a few! I don't think they are particularly nice however, but have nothing to compare them with, it may be how miso soup is meant to taste? But they are quick and 29 calories!
06 Oct 2013, 16:12
You can have mine, yucky stuff.
Heard about this itsu miso, 44 cals a serving,I found that ainsley harriots hot and sour was nicer.
It's not to my taste. Been making my own lentil and tomato soup, posted on here at some stage.
Tin of toms
Handful of red lentils,
Veg stock cube, big dash of chilli, spoonful, of low cal cream cheese with garlic and herbs
Simmer, blend, gives 6 mugs at about 80 cals.
06 Oct 2013, 16:17
Buy miso paste in a jar - Clearspring do barley, brown rice and white miso in 300gms. jar organic, about a fiver and one teaspoonful will give you a big mug of savoury goodness..I usually add a little sprinkle of seaweed but it's not essential - tastes much nicer than the little miso soup sachets, and it's much more versatile. Keeps for yonks too and works out at a fraction of the price of the sachets! :neutral: I get mine at Waitrose and Sainsbury's. it is a bit of an acquired taste, I didn't like it the first time I had it when eldest daughter returned from a stint in Japan and made it from scratch, but now I love it. Sometimes I make it with dashi from scratch but the paste in jars is quick and sometimes life's too short!
06 Oct 2013, 16:34
I like the ones dhana suggested with tamari and Tabasco in to give a kick. I think you either love or hate miso. White miso is milder but hard to come by in paste but I saw Waitrose are stocking clear spring white miso. Alternative for miso haters tom yum soup. Paste is in jars available from supermarkets. Cheap and low calorie. Nice with lime juice added. :smile:
06 Oct 2013, 16:43
@ Izzy, You've really made me laugh! That's what all of us "foodies" love - The taste of the sea!! :lol:
06 Oct 2013, 16:54
izzy wrote: You could have had mine too :wink: I got mine ages ago from Holland & Barrett, in sachets like cuppa soups. It just tasted like the sea :confused:

Mmmmmmn ..... Like oysters?
06 Oct 2013, 16:58
Sorry IT inept. I saw miso soup boxes in M and S last week. £3.89 for 4.
06 Oct 2013, 17:33
Mumma c wrote:
izzy wrote: You could have had mine too :wink: I got mine ages ago from Holland & Barrett, in sachets like cuppa soups. It just tasted like the sea :confused:

Mmmmmmn ..... Like oysters?

Yuk yuk yuk, they're big into oysters here in France, can't see the attraction putting something alive with a whole load of seawater into my mouth.

Now we like beef & oyster pie, but our friends can't understand us cooking oysters :shock:

(edit sp)
06 Oct 2013, 17:36
Come up here and I'll take to Loch Fyne - oyster paradise!! :razz:
06 Oct 2013, 18:42
Miso soup from paste taste a lot better than those little satchets from my experience. I buy mine in those asian shops. It's in a plastic bag, you press out a little of it. Should last longer since there's no air in there like in a jar. I usually have it with some dulse seaweed, delicious.
06 Oct 2013, 18:54
I love miso.. use Kikkoman ones, both red and white.
Love Oysters (I have a stall next week at an Oyster festival.... 'nuff said!)
Mussels... devine....
06 Oct 2013, 19:42
Yeah I love seafood. I know what you mean about oysters I felt the same way, then a friend dared me to eat 1, 2 dozen later I was hooked. Lol. They are not slimy, it's just like eating a mouthful of ocean, with a touch of mineral, really hard to describe.
We went away for a romantic weekend for my birthday to cardiff (don't ask!) had to come home early cos we were both ill, the only food we had shared were oysters, so I'm nervous around them now.

Loch fyne, small world, my daughter is on a Royal Navy frigate there today..
07 Oct 2013, 14:55
Still don't like it. All this chat about miso, I've just tried it again, this time with some chilli in. Still don't like it. So if anyone wants the third and last one in my packet. Pm me your address and I will gladly send it to you.
07 Oct 2013, 15:33
I've tried one of the sachets, Clearspring from Waitrose, not really sure I liked it but it might grow on me. Saw several different types of miso in Sainsburys today too.
15 posts Page 1 of 1