The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

31 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: My one 5:2 sadness
05 Aug 2013, 06:50
Juliana.Rivers wrote: Better late than never :-))

No regrets, is my motto that keeps me sane.

We all did things in our past for a reason.

Couldn't agree more. I believe things happen for a reason and at the time they're meant to happen. Misquote (probably) from (can't remember) - Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, It might have been.

Never mind Might Have Been. Let's look at what is and go way-hey! And woo-hoo! :smile:
05 Aug 2013, 07:23
Gillb wrote: Having been on 5:2 since January it really has become part of my life. But my only regret is that it didn't come along about 20 years ago and then I might not have been fat all that time! Not terribly fat but too fat for sure. Fat at 40, fat at fifty but next year not fat at 60.

Never mind it's going now and not coming back.How about you?

We all totally agree and are delighted to have a genuine solution even if years later than we'd like. There is hope after 40 years of overweight frustration and a chance to make up for that "lost time". This forum chatting together with no pressure and such confidence in this WOE really is important. (Compare the hopeless diet regimes we have tried.)
I am 73, vigorous in the gym and wearing lovely slim clothes. So much pleasure feeling young and energetic! My OH suggested he could buy me a wetsuit "for your lovely slim figure" so I could cavort in the sea with our grandchildren and not get cold. That idea is a lifetime FIRST! Am not really tempted but the compliment was a bit like GoLinda's not being recognised from behind!!
05 Aug 2013, 07:53
So nice to hear how many mature people or on this forum
I ,too regret that I have spent the last twenty years researching,trying ,obsessing about some new rediculous diet,and never managing to get rid of that middle age spread

TML,stupid me forgot that when I was young I ate much less and if I had a big feast I naturally ate less without even thinking about it
What a waste of time
05 Aug 2013, 08:27
Yes I absolutely agree & I am 66 this year. If only I had known how to keep lost weight away & never to return. Two years ago I had again lost 3 stone to go on a cruise & became really excited about buying lovely evening dresses & tops but became really disheartened when I put on some weight on the cruise. When I came back I couldn't face returning to the very strict managed eating plan, that had cost several hundred pounds, because of blood tests etc & weekly so called consultations, that I rebelled & started eating a more normal diet reintroducing what was a more balanced range of food but I guess the quantities were the problem. If only I had been able to 5:2 I wouldn't have had to lose that weight again & of course we are saving money doing this :smile: & hopefully additional health benefits :like:
05 Aug 2013, 10:25
Thank you all soul mates!
Do you find yourself meeting strangers sometimes and secretly thinking 'You could do with 5:2? Of course with friends it is amazing how many people say 'Oh I'm doing that too!'
05 Aug 2013, 10:29
I agree GillB. But I am very grateful that the excess weight is now shifting painlessly!
05 Aug 2013, 12:12
Gillb wrote: Having been on 5:2 since January it really has become part of my life. But my only regret is that it didn't come along about 20 years ago and then I might not have been fat all that time! Not terribly fat but too fat for sure. Fat at 40, fat at fifty but next year not fat at 60. Never mind it's going now and not coming back.How about you?

Totally identify with this!
05 Aug 2013, 12:17
I am not sure that the me of 20 years ago would have even looked at the idea of fasting, I think I would have dismissed it as another fad.
05 Aug 2013, 12:30
I was on a totally different forum 2 or maybe 3 years ago and one of the members on there was into diet and supplemts and what we thought were some way out kooky ideas about keeping healthy. But when she said she had fasted for 6 weeks in a big to kill her carb cravings, I for one thought she was lying. As everyone 'knows' you die without food for more than 2 weeks. Duh! People have liquid fasted for much longer than this and survived as we now know.
It caused a lot of us to back away from friendship with her. A thing I now regret. So thinking fasting was kooky at 20 is no big deal, I thought it was kooky 2 or 3 years ago.
05 Aug 2013, 20:18
My first "fast" was for 3 days before my 18th birthday. I remember it like yesterday, I told my mum that I wanted to wear a white dress and I want to drink grapefruit and lemon juice for 3 days and eat nothing in order to look better in it and my mum said "ok if you want to, you are almost 18 now, you can do a detox once in a while".
On the day before my birthday, we were in the kitchen with my mum and grandma and we were pre-cooking and I wasn't tasting anything and my grandmother kept telling my mum that I will pass out on my birthday, we are both crazy, she is not a good mum, etc...
When my birthday came, I was fab, I ate like a pig and I was happy.
Mind you, back then eating disorders in Greece were almost non-existent. We weren't dietaholics, we didn't know what a size 2 or 4 were and we ate a little (or more) of everything so there was no worry about not eating once in a while. My great-aunt did this since her twenties and she was 20 in the 50s...
05 Aug 2013, 23:04
There is one other regret. After years of searching and saving, I finally managed to find a cream leather jacket in my large 24 size, that fitted perfectly. Its falling off me now. Boo hoo! I've had it for only a year.
06 Aug 2013, 06:34
Mixed feelings about the jacket, I'm guessing. You couldn't do something clever to it (following from your craft thread) to make it fit again?

I've had a couple of tops and trousers that were too tight when I bought them but i kept them anyway 'for when I lose weight' (scoffing at my delusional self as I did so). Now they're too loose and I've hardly had any wear out of them. They cost considerably less than a leather jacket though, so my reaction has been straightforward gloating! :grin:
06 Aug 2013, 06:56
I will be 55 soon and I too wish I had found this WOE earlier. Fortunately I can blame my under-active thyroid ;), I had no idea what is the reason I gain weight and had no possibility to loose it in my forties. Now I have medication and 5:2....
06 Aug 2013, 11:12
Julieathome wrote: There is one other regret. After years of searching and saving, I finally managed to find a cream leather jacket in my large 24 size, that fitted perfectly. Its falling off me now. Boo hoo! I've had it for only a year.

When you reach your goal weight, have it altered. :oops:
06 Aug 2013, 12:07
By the time I reach my goal weight I will probably be able to use the material to make a full evening gown, never mind a jacket.
31 posts Page 2 of 3