The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

So this week's fasting has gone slightly...wrong. On Monday my goal was to do a 36hr liquid fast, with the only 'food' passing my lips being a 180 cal soup. It got to 7ish and a friend popped over and I ended up having a glass of red wine...which then led to a peanut butter and marmite toastie...which then led to four chocolates (not chocolate bars, I must add) and another toastie. I totted up my calories as being around 1,100 calories, instead of the intended 181 :bugeyes: I weighed myself today, however, and following a relatively carb-heavy day yesterday, I haven't gained anything!

Again, today, I was attempting a liquid fast, eating a 90 cal mushroom soup. Which I then followed with a chicken and salad bagel, which came in at around 300 calories and am now drinking a glass of wine, which is probably around 170 cals = 560 cals.

I'm praying that I still go down this week - I think I've gotten it into my head that I have to eat less than 500 cals to lose weight...maybe relaxing is the way forward to beat this plateau I've been experiencing over the past month or so...

HELP!!!
Some times a girl has just got to have fun, but it shows the flexibility of the WOL. So you do a half fluid fast and enjoyed the evening sound like a good compromise
Hi pinchy, it sounds like you're trying too hard and then just going crazy. I blame the marmite, evil stuff ;)
Why don't you just do your normal fast days, (you've done so well on 5:2). and chuck in a few 16:8 to jig it up a bit. I hope you get over the plateau soon, Just keep going hun, this stall will be over before you know it. Good luck
Dee :)
@justdee - so, do you mean, do 16:8 as well as normal 500 cal fast days and feast days? or just feast days and 16:8?

I think you're right - I'm trying to be too extreme, which is not the point of this woe at all! I find myself being a bit bitchy with it, too - a girl at uni today said something along the lines of 'you ought to be using your whole 500 calories' and - HORRIBLY - my mind's response was 'well, what do you know? you're fat and I'm not' (anymore) - I know that that is awful and I'm concerned about my internal behaviour...does anyone else find themselves thinking these horrible thoughts?

I feel so guilty about it and I'm truly not an awful person - I don't think!
I'm sure you;re not, Pinchy. You have lost an amazing amount since you started in July. So your body thinks there might be a famine and doesn't want you to lose any more. So you have to just relax, eat normally, with your 500 cals on 2 days a week, and when your body is reassured that you're not starving, the weight will start to drop off again. But I don't know how long that will take. So just relax. And yes, I do find myself looking at people who are as fat as I used to be, and thinking judgmental thoughts!
Hi Pinchypops I think we have all had those thoughts, just as long as we don't say them out loud :grin: I agree just relax a bit and you will get back I the groove of fasting.
Oh pinchy, we all have our moments.
I mean go back to doing your normal 2 fast a week, you did very well doing that before and add some 16:8s (only if it's easy, whatever feels doable, without feeling deprived). You've been doing this long enough and been on here enough to know that the plateau will past, enjoy being the new you that you are right now , even if you're not losing as fast as you'd like. You will start losing again soon. I think if you try too hard you have more chance of feeling that you're failing. Just stick with it and ride this plateau out. Because you're defiantly not failing, look how far you've come. Good luck hun, give yourself a break. :)
Dee
Also pinchypops you have a raft of new things happening for you now on many levels as you described in a earlier thread

If I do liquid fasting with calories I find that is hard core enough for me, yesterday I fasted when I got home after just teas and coffee and water I found unpacking groceries, preparing dinner and cleaning up kitchen I had to stretch myself. I wasn't cranky (this time. ... no saint I can be) I had been out working so my work day must have used up my energy. Only meaning I was carefully and calmly observing myself, and I had to push myself and when I liquid fast for me it is hard core enough and I am trying to come off a plateau. We need to feed as well as fast that is the success of it

Long story short, find what allows you to just hum along, we can put ourselves into too much stress. Enjoy having a life too
Thanks everyone - I think you're right, I've been experiencing a lot of change recently. It's just a bit disappointing having lost with such great speed and success before! onwards and downwards - chin up and fasts on!
Just to say, 'good luck pinchypops'
You have done marvellous, so far. 12.24 is an awesome loss..
Well done x.x
:heart: Hi pinchypops there you are :heart:
Well life is for living i say and to relax the ''rules '' now + again won't hurt at all infact I firmly believe mixing it up helped me to kickstart my weightloss, so maybe a 16:8 plus a fast or 2 will do it for you, and with all your changes going on well a glass of wine won't do to much damage,
but Marmite :shock: :shock: :shock:
OH my you deserve the wine :clover: Good Luck :clover: Sue
Pinchypops, hey this is life... don't stress, live life as you want to live it.
Balance... man... balance....
Hi pinchypops, it doesn't matter if you mess up now and then. I think people worry too much about the magic 500 number, that's just a quarter of the 2000 calories which is the average amount that women need each day. How many of us are average? I'm sure you would still lose weight if you regularly consumed 600 calories on fast days.

I always aim for less than 500 but I don't count the calories, it could be much higher than that.

Please don't worry about horrible thoughts either, we all get them occasionally - at least I do!

Take a long breath and ....relax, you're doing fine.
coffeetime wrote: Hi pinchypops, it doesn't matter if you mess up now and then. I think people worry too much about the magic 500 number, that's just a quarter of the 2000 calories which is the average amount that women need each day. How many of us are average? I'm sure you would still lose weight if you regularly consumed 600 calories on fast days.

I always aim for less than 500 but I don't count the calories, it could be much higher than that.

Please don't worry about horrible thoughts either, we all get them occasionally - at least I do!

Take a long breath and ....relax, you're doing fine.

What coffeetime said!
14 posts Page 1 of 1