The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

22 posts Page 1 of 2
Hello all,

It's just occurred to me that I have almost completely forgotten about fasting. It doesn't enter my brain like it used to, with me obsessing over what I was going to eat on a fast day or thinking about what I would like to eat on a non-fast day.

Don't get me wrong - I still fast twice a week. But it seems to have become so engrained in my life that I don't even think about it anymore, it just seems to happen naturally. Wonderful!
Likewise for me too Pinchypops. It's great. And if I let the odd extra sneak in on fast days, then so be it. The scales are still heading down nicely for me! I don't count the calories, just miss lunch and eat a smaller low carb meal at night.
It works and is easy!
My first day of feeling about fasting like you. It was wonderful feeling I am in control.
That's great @Pinchypops isn't it-it really is a new WOL . gosh,I even lost a kilo in my week in phuket just by listening to my body. Hows the new job going?
Xxx juliannna
I love how second nature it becomes. I'm slipping up on non-fast days though, whereas for the first few months of fasting that wasn't a problem...
I agree with all of your comments and this is one of the main reasons I like 5:2 - I don't feel there are any restrictions.

The big challenge for me was to stop eating because I ought to ie because it is breakfast time I should eat; because my doctors told me to eat many small meals each day, I should follow their advice. Now my first 'meal' of the day is when I feel hungry - it may be a few almonds or porage or today I had bacon and scrambled eggs or most days nothing to eat until lunch time. So a 'fast day' just seems to happen (I don't have regular days each week, just 2 per week).

Since starting 5:2 I go to the local Pharmacy once a month and one of the staff weighs me and takes my blood pressure (120/70). The only scales I have on the boat are to weigh food up to 500gms
Harrumph. :confused: :bugeyes: :confused: Not happened to me yet. When does this kick in?
For me, around 2 months. Now its just another meal in the week and the great feeling of cleasing the system.

Done a whole batch lot of curries the weekend, so now I have 10 portions in the freezer for my fasting days :like:

I think this helped it become second nature for me, not having to think, oh, what will I eat. Now I just buy some veg to steam or cauliflower rice. Got purple cauli rice tonight :smile:
Watching Rick Stein in India has left me drooling over curries, and I don't usually watch cooking programmes at all. I also saw some of the Italian chap cooking round Italy, more as a travelogue, but he did keep getting in the way!
That's great to hear pinchy. Could this WOE get any easier. Hope everything's going well for you, hun :)
Dee
Second fast of the week and I'm feeling hungry right now, but mainly because I'm watching the Great British Bake Off final!
Not entirely sure how much I weigh at the moment, so weigh-in tomorrow. I don't usually tend to overeat on non-fast days, however, yesterday I naturally found myself having eaten a bacon sarnie for breakfast, melon, three pieces of toast with peanut butter, marmite and chia seeds throughout the day, and homemade soup for lunch and THEN goats cheese and beetroot chutney pizza washed down by a bottle of wine and followed by chocolate! I don't know what came over me!
To be fair I did move house yesterday, so I suppose it was fuel/comfort eating in a way, plus the weather was appalling and I was craving carbs...
Why am I justifying it? What do other people think? Is it bad that I feel the need to explain why I ate so badly? Is it THAT bad? HELP!
Why am I justifying it? What do other people think? Is it bad that I feel the need to explain why I ate so badly? Is it THAT bad? HELP!

I don't think it's bad at all, Pinchypops. Don't think it requires justification. I'm working hard on myself to get away from knee-jerk guilt reactions around food and this weird love-hate relationship I have with it. It's just food! The good and bad is all in my head.

So, I'm running a one-woman campaign, working on not beating myself up and getting away from all the judgemental language I've used for so many years. Anyone else with me?
Too true! For far too long we've beaten ourselves up about being 'weak willed' when it comes to dieting. For goodness sake, eating and good food is one of life's greatest pleasures so why do we feel guilty if we occasionally over indulge?
Sachat I am with you. I have had such an unhealthy relationship with food after years of failing at weightwatchers. I am no longer frightened of it and enjoy eating out when I have less control over what I eat. I am starting to eat less on feed days now too. I love being able to have cake with coffee when I want to and enjoy it. My bingeing has stopped now too with no more secret eating as if I really want something I have it. There is so much head stuff involved with my relationship with food a psychiatrist would have a field day! I am so happy with this woe and the freedom it has given me. Okay I am hungry on fast days but I know it won't kill me!
Had a lovely breakie of poached eggs on a bagel and a side of potato wedge cubes - delicious. Then went on to a halloween party for work and kept away from the buffet table, until I saw some dohnuts and indulged in one of those. Totally wasn't worth it, though - didn't enjoy it at all! I think I just need to chill, like you've all been saying. Going to try liquid fasts next week, will make some soup, alongside my shepherd's pie tomorrow. I'm thinking something filling like autumnal veg - sweet potato, parsnips, carrots and lots of chilli to make it warming! I've definitely hit a plateau at the moment, but I am indulging myself way more than I have previously been doing, so perhaps I just need to get a handle on that and stop keeping bread at the office - it's far too easy to make a piece of toast and then smother it in delicious, but high cal peanut butter! I also need to stop drinking so much wine, it's just so lovely and more satisfying than a slimline g&t...xx
22 posts Page 1 of 2