The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

18 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Oh no....Plateau!!
17 Mar 2014, 19:01
Unless you weigh daily and plot a trendline it is very hard to know what is going on. For example on February 27 I weighed in at 67.3 and on March 16 I was 67.5. Had I gained weight over the 17 days? No actually I'd lost weight because my trend weight had gone from 68.1 on Feb 27 to 67.2 on Mar 16: I'd lost nearly a kilo. In fact my weigh in on 27 Feb was a new low, whereas the 16 March was a temporary high due to going out for a meal and was the highest readin in over a week. But if I didn't weigh every day I wouldn't know that and might have been depressed.
17 Mar 2014, 22:45
carorees wrote: Unless you weigh daily and plot a trendline it is very hard to know what is going on.

QFT. There is so much water fluctuation going on all the time. I can weigh in the morning and be 4 pounds heavier in the evening, doesn't mean I ate an extra 10000 calories that day! Then I sleep and 2 pounds vanish by next morning. You need way longer than 10 days to even begin to worry about needing adjustments. Just keep going. Weigh more often and think in terms of range and trendline rather than a single number. Get some app that shows a 7 day moving average instead of just stepping on a scale once a week and thinking "I weigh this". If you weigh only once a week then you can't be so concerned because last week's reading might have been from the low side of your range then while this week's is from the high side, so it may look the same even though your range has actually slid down a notch. Use tape measure in addition to scale.

I have to disagree very strongly with the post above talking about a "starvation mode switch". See the thread on famine effect in the 5:2 lab forum. Metabolism can slow to shrink a deficit a little, but nowhere enough to bring it to a standstill. True deficit will always cause loss, all famine reaction does is slow it down a bit. Otherwise anorexia wouldn't exist, if starvation truly could halt weight loss!

If you are stuck at for a much longer time than 10 days (at least a month), then you have to take a look at more closely measuring how much you are really eating, perhaps going to a scale if you were just guestimating calories before. Or ratchet down your estimated TDEE a bit to compensate for possible underestimation of actual consumption. Or try to increase your TDEE a bit with more exercise.
17 Mar 2014, 22:54
Good plan Dragonsheart! I agree with everyone. Just relax and keep doing what you're doing.
Xx
18 posts Page 2 of 2