The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi

I have been consiously trying to cut down on my carb intake due to my extremely slow weight loss (along with other tactics such as liquid fasting and upping exercising)!

My question is

For the last 2 weeks I have been having (weekly average)
36% carbs
26% fats
28% protein

does this seem reasonable or should i try cutting down a little more?
Hi TracE

I recently posted in another thread about how much carbs one should aim for based on this article at Mark's Daily Apple.

I don't know what your percentages work out to in grams, but the article suggests keeping below 50g of carbs during fasting, and on non-fast days to aim for 100g of carbs for weightloss or up to 150g of carbs for weight maintenance. I have been working on the principle that the feast days represent maintenance, so I'm aiming to keep below 150g then, while the fast days are the weightloss days so I'm trying to keep below 50g on fast days. Protein should be 0.8g per kg of lean body weight. You can then adjust your fat intake so you feel full and/or keep to TDEE/500cal depending on the day.

I'm certainly finding that keeping carbs down is helping with weightloss. I find the easiest way to keep the carbs down on feast days is to skip breakfast (which is normally carb-heavy) and that way I have enough scope for a modest portion of potatoes/pasta/rice and a small dessert, making mealtimes pretty easy to manage.

Hope that helps!
Hi Carorees

Thanks very much for your in depth reply I will have to refer back to MFP to see what grams of each i have been eating daily :)

And am going to try your tactic of no breakfast except maybe on a Saturday morning as a treat!
The no breakfast approach has been a bit of a revelation for me! I tried Atkins many years ago with success but the breakfasts were always a problem as I couldn't find anything that appealed to me that was low enough in carbs. Skipping breakfast makes low (or low-ish) carb eating sooooo much easier!
Thanks to you Caroline @carorees, i am having success by skipping brekky every weekday and more relaxed on weekends as well as my monday and thursday fast days. My weight loss has more than doubled to averaging 1kg per week over the last 3 weeks ( from 0.5 kg per week previously) yeh!
5 posts Page 1 of 1