The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I am a huge fan of carbs. For the most part I have kicked the sugar habit but am tested on a daily basis when it comes to breads and pasta. Today I saw something on TV that white bean extract prevents carbs from turning into glucose when taken. Has anyone had any experience with this? It would be great to take a tablet before a spaghetti dinner. :?:
I found a couple of old(ish) papers about this. Seems that in mice the extract can lower the GI of carbs.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20150600

but in humans a high dose was needed to have any effect and had to be taken as a powder. the capsules didn't work
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19860922
As an alternative, I have just purchased Against All Grain by Danielle Walker. It's paleo/SCD based but it does have rather clever low GI breads and cakes made with coconut and almond flour. Some have honey so not low GI, but many options here to satisfy those carb cravings.
3 posts Page 1 of 1