The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

17 posts Page 1 of 2
Recommitting to strict 5:2...
10 Mar 2017, 09:18
I've been floundering the last couple of months; my kitty Gandalf died in December, and my job ended at the end of 2016.

I've "technically" been keeping my light (fast) days, but haven't been being strict enough. I guess with the personal issues, I feel "justified" in eating things I know I shouldn't on light days (popcorn, GrapeNuts with my yogurt). I haven't been tracking calories, but I'm sure most of the time I'm going well over 500 calories on my light days.

I weighed myself and have gained 6lbs. It took a few days, but thinking it through--and having read many stories on here from those who've regained most, if not all, of their lost weight--I decided I haven't gone through all this just to be back where I started. I'm close to my 3 year fastiversary (April 24), and am aiming to get back to where I was. Ideally, this will jump start a new cycle of weight loss; I never did make it to my original goal. But getting back to and maintaining UNDER 180lbs is the most important thing. So, this is my declaration to keep my light days 500 calories or less; to do that, I must track, so I'm writing down what I eat in my little book. Heh, at least it's easy to track food on light days, there isn't/shouldn't be much to write down.... :clover:
I'm SO sorry about your kitty and your job!! Those are two big hits all at once. So, definitely don't beat yourself up over the 6 lbs! It could've been much worse!

I'm glad you have decided to join us again. You might want to join our weekly challenges. It's just setting small goals for yourself each week to help you achieve your bigger goal.

Are you looking for and if so, have you found a new job?
I'm sorry about your kitty and job. that's an awful lot of stress!

Well welcome back. I think you have a great plan there. We know we can do this -- we've all seen what we need to do. The key is just doing it.
I did track my food yesterday and kept it under 500; felt good!
BTW, have you considered using something like MyFitnessPal to track. It seems like it would be easier than writing it down. There's an app too!
Hi @ferretgal

Good to see you back here.

You must feel pleased that you were able to manage a 500cal fast day. And hopefully having done one, future ones will be okay too!

As cblasz suggested, joining the weekly challenges may also help. Maybe doing something about the popcorn and Grapenuts (whatever they are)...

Anyway, best wishes and good Iuck for things going well for you (again). :smile: :clover:
@ferretgal - that's awful losing your cat and your job :frown:
I couldn't imagine losing my furry children!!
I echo what the others said - and I'm cheering you on with your newly invigorated goals :victory: :like: :clover:
GrapeNuts are a very crunchy cereal, tiny little nuggets (love it in yogurt). I just can't eat that type of carb (including popcorn) on light days, I can't stop in time. I don't limit carbs on other days, so it's really not that big a deal to eschew them on light days. And yes, I do use MFP, but I still write it down in my little book (just light days), it keeps me accountable.
Light day #300!

I've kept a little book in which I write the date and the number of the light day. I have kept 2 light days every week, though I haven't always stayed under 500 calories.

(Mods: I tried to attach my 5.2 pdf for beginners, and got the message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.)

Over the last (almost) three years, and multiple challenges, I've learned:
--You need to determine YOUR food triggers (those you can't stop eating at a reasonable place) and choose NOT to eat those on light days. For example, popcorn for me; or any kind of cereal--I love it with yogurt (which I can and do eat on light days), but cannot stop at the appropriate place once I get going.
--For me, not eating for as long as possible, generally at least 7 hours after arising. Main meal is dinner, 10-12 hours after arising.
--Focus on protein (a little more challenging for me, as an ovo-lacto vegetarian) and moderate fat. Fat is important; it dramatically increases satiety which reduces appetite. You do have to pay attention to the amount of fat as well, since it packs quite a caloric punch. (I've found I can't do nuts on light days, once again, I can't stop at just a little bit.)
--Carbs--fresh or frozen vegetables or fruit only. NO sugar, no bread or other flour products. If those don't make you hungrier, you wouldn't have a weight issue to begin with. (However, I do not limit carbs on normal days, I'd feel deprived and that would be the end of 5:2.)
--For me, calorie free beverages only; fortunately, I like my coffee and tea plain without sweetener or whitener. I also have a bunch of decaf and herbal teas on hand, and like fizzy water (fave is Arrowhead sparkling).
--For light days, I really must pay attention to calories, I just am too prone to "cheating" otherwise.

I fell into a trap of thinking I could have chocolate on light days; with it, my calorie count crept upward and I regained ~6 pounds. Though if you really NEED a bit of chocolate or all hell will break loose, I suggest you try melting it--a tiny bit seems like a lot more melted and is much stronger tasting. I love it as a "sundae" over vanilla SIggis skyr (Icelandic yogurt, 5.3oz zero percent vanilla is only 100 calories; skyr is much thicker than even Greek).
Thanks @Ferretgal! That's a really awesome post, and congratulations on light day #300!

I'm not sure what the deal is with attachments, perhaps @Moogie knows?

Your light days sound a lot like mine - except for mixing chocolate and yogurt. I'm weird in that I can't do chocolate with anything remotely sour like yogurt, sour cream or cream cheese.
@tracieknits! Hi there,only me and thee online! Hehe! Have a fab weekend hunny xx
Gonna read @ferretgals thread now..lovely to see you ferret! XXXX
@ferretgal well done girl on being so strong at a rough time! Am sorry to hear yr sad news. XXXX
I too am a serial loser/ regainer and i am now finding that the BSD diet works best for me..tho i dont for one moment think i am off the hook..i guess like an alcoholic is only one drink away from falling down the slippery slope,ditto us lot here.
However Nelson Mandela said its not the amount of times you fall,its the times you get back up,brush yrself down and start all over again
Grape nuts? I haven't heard of them since i was a kid in the fifties and my Nan used to eat them!
I' m gonna copy n paste your 'what youve learnt ' to refer to when i am feeling bored,unhappy or any of the triggers that make me want to draw a chair up to the fridge! Thanks for sharing,its v useful to hear from others..we can all learn from each others experiences XXX
AB @azureblue how are you? Miss you and so many of the old pals on here ( i am one of the worst offenders for not calling in very often these days..wish i could say it was coz i was doing noble wise things instead,but i' m not,just finding it quite tiring to come online very much right now)
Love to all xx
Ps anyone in the Uk watching Scrufts?
Mixed breed Crufts,including some rescue doggies..they are all wonderful xx
Hi @CandiceMarie *waves*, I'm still slogging away but have awful sciatica which has slowed me right down.
I've not had double cream in my coffee for a week and have seen the scale drop a kilo, might have to continue on the black and bitter for a while :confused:
Take care m'dear and to all our friends here, onwards ever onwards :like: :clover: :heart:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03 ... ories-day/

I hope this helps those who have a hard time sticking to 500 cals. on fasting days.
Michael Mosley now says you can do 800 calories on fasting days if you want.
17 posts Page 1 of 2