The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

20 posts Page 1 of 2
Reflections after 2 years
04 Mar 2015, 11:36
After 2 years I have lost 36 lbs, 21.7% of my body weight and my BMI has gone down by 5.83. I’ve been maintaining since last July. I have also made some online and more importantly real life friends.
So yes 5:2 has worked for me, I decided when I started that I would only make changes that would be sustainable so I have only tweaked what I eat- but altered how much! I have discovered that I am happy not to eat breakfast (I didn’t expect that) and that plus daily weighing is the most important part of my maintenance strategy. If I don’t like what the scales say nowadays I skip lunch and use the eating window approach- fingers crossed it has worked so far.
What I really like about this WOE is that is so flexible, you can play around until you find what works for you- there are no rules to be broken only weight to be lost. It is however worth noting that word ‘fast’ refers to the way of eating and not to the speed with which the weight falls off .For many of us it is the ‘slow diet’ especially as that magic but often arbitrary goal weight approaches.
For what it is worth my advice would be don’t try and change too many things at the same time, fasting twice a week is a huge change-get used to that before you start experimenting and don’t expect miracle! Oh and don’t give up when the weight loss slows and your enthusiasm wanes.
Re: Reflections after 2 years
04 Mar 2015, 12:03
Congratulations on your fastiversary! That's all great advice :-)
04 Mar 2015, 12:12
Thanks for your reflections (and very good advice) @Merlin, and congratulations on your loss and finding a sustainable way of eating. :) Best wishes for the future! :D
04 Mar 2015, 12:23
Congrats!
04 Mar 2015, 12:33
A lovely read Merlin, i really like how youre always quietly and steadily here!
Congrats on yr fastiversary and well done! X i agree with all you say
And it's important to keep going when enthusiasm wanes as we mustn't forget that this WOE means we avoid the risks of longterm severe health problems too...hopefully this massive benefit will one day be confirmed for good x x
04 Mar 2015, 13:07
Thank you for that post and congratulations on hitting the 2 year mark! You have done fabulously! I'm in the very slow loser camp and it is very inspiring to read stories of success like yours!
:heart:
04 Mar 2015, 13:11
I can certainly vouch for Merlin looking fantastic at her maintenance weight and her sensible advice re taking things slowly is spot on!
04 Mar 2015, 13:37
Another Fastday celebrity embarks on Year 3. Well done @merlin and I am in complete agreement about introducing changes gradually.
04 Mar 2015, 15:51
Thanks Merlin, great advice for anyone new and even an oldie(seasoned faster) like me.
Don't change too much and be patient.
04 Mar 2015, 17:30
Congratulations Merlin, patience is the key, thanks for your fast story it's so encouraging to see that this WOE really works :grin:
04 Mar 2015, 18:25
Congratulations on your Fastiversary Merlin. Fabulous result!
04 Mar 2015, 19:32
Thanks for posting this inspiring post!
05 Mar 2015, 13:22
Merlin wrote: daily weighing is the most important part of my maintenance strategy. If I don’t like what the scales say nowadays I skip lunch and use the eating window approach- fingers crossed it has worked so far. .

Thank you for your inspiring post.

the bit about daily weighing i particularly like even in maintenance phase and how you morph into eating windows style of fasting should a morning weight be higher than a predefined number you have determined to be your "alarm point".

Love it. Not in maintenance yet but doing the same.
06 Mar 2015, 19:46
Such sane and sensible advice @Merlin - here's to year 3! :victory:
06 Mar 2015, 20:04
Beautifully written @Merlin. So pleased it has all worked so well for you. And thanks so much for the great advice!
Here's to another great year for you. Slowly but surely that seems to be the motto of the day! :wink:
20 posts Page 1 of 2