The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

21 posts Page 1 of 2
Results ARE Typical
09 Dec 2013, 19:52
Remember those ads for weight loss products where the picture was of a svelte bikini clad young woman, and there was a fuzzy inset picture of her, 100 pounds heavier? And at the bottom of the ad in tiny type "Results not typical." (I don't know if there were ads like this in other countries, though.) In the US, "Results not typical" was outlawed in 2009. Now ads have to state what IS typical as well.

I am astounded by the weight loss that is typical on this forum (and maybe even by intermittent fasters in general?).

I'd like to propose awards - perhaps in January in honor of the forum anniversary. I can't suggest that @Moogie or @Carorees organize this, since of course both would be award winners. Someone else - maybe another mod - would have to run the ceremonies.

I know that some of us don't (or didn't) need to lose much. A few of us didn't need to lose anything, and are in it for the other health benefits, and maybe to wear that outfit that was starting to show off the bulges. Personally, my award is feeling better and liking what I see when I look in the mirror.

But there are some members - at least a dozen, I believe - who are so transformed as to be almost unrecognizable. I'd love to see them honored in a formal way.

What a "diet" this is - free, straightforward, flexible, and the results are typical!
Re: Results ARE Typical
09 Dec 2013, 19:59
Ha, ha, I'm sort of working up to a post about my year, as I started this in an un-believing desperate state, prompted by little control of my ever-increasing weight and the sudden onset of sky high blood pressure (previously just high, not stratospheric!) Not to mention high pressure in my brain and having not quite got over ending up in a CT scanner.

A year on, I understand about total inflammation of the body and the effects on the hormones, leading to cravings. My diet, which went through all the usual phases, eat loads on feed days, eat little, eat cleaner is now very comfortable and mostly very stable. I sleep better, can get out of bed comfortably and can exercise with high intensity.

I have hope for the future! :-)

This is probably a bit of a random post here but it was the unrecognisable comment that set me off, I practically don't recognise myself!
09 Dec 2013, 23:02
Great post @wendyjane
I can think of quite a few inspirational people here
10 Dec 2013, 00:39
Funny to get such a response from you, @PennyForthem, because obviously you should be one of the award winners!!

Anybody else with me on this plan? How do we proceed?
11 Dec 2013, 09:37
I think it's a great idea. Some of the biggest losers are the greatest inspiration on this forum
11 Dec 2013, 09:48
Absolutely agree thanks for the post
11 Dec 2013, 09:58
wendyjane wrote: Anybody else with me on this plan? How do we proceed?

Perhaps we can ask for a section on the forum called 'Hall of fame', where members can start a topic for each person that they have been inspired by (not necessary only the biggest losers)
11 Dec 2013, 10:08
Here here, I'm with you on this one. Our very own "biggest loser awards"
I also think that these wonderful individuals will be very reluctant to "blow their own trumpets". So we need to nominate our inspirational forum friends, shall we pm you Wendy ?

Oh yes hall of fame is a fantastic idea.
11 Dec 2013, 10:21
Thats a great idea @p-jk a "hall of fame". I certainly have a person in mind who has inspired me. Well done, @wendyjane...I think you've come up with a wonderful idea to celebrate our friends for their perseverance and success...a real inspiration for us relative newbies. The more "before and after" photos, the better! :heart:
11 Dec 2013, 11:25
P-JK wrote:

Perhaps we can ask for a section on the forum called 'Hall of fame', where members can start a topic for each person that they have been inspired by (not necessary only the biggest losers)

A very good idea...and inclusive too.
11 Dec 2013, 12:14
Auriga wrote:
P-JK wrote:

A very good idea...and inclusive too.

Yes, I like the sound of it being more inclusive like that :)
In the early days of the forum (wow, almost a year ago now!) I suggested a 'biggest losers' chart to be created by the tracker, showing who's lost the most/fastest rate of loss etc, but it was decided this might make things appear competitive and cause bad feeling.

If folks want to say who's inspired them for whatever reason, be it amount of loss, helping others or whatever that seems really nice :)

Personally I don't think I'm deserving of an award for biggest loser, well not for this last year in any case. I'm only about 10kg down from this time last year. Most of my loss came in the first 4 months of this WOE. I've relaxed a bit this year and don't mind the slower losses while I continue to enjoy my food & eating healthier!
11 Dec 2013, 13:30
Great one @Moogie I love it
11 Dec 2013, 13:36
We could have non-weightloss inspired awards too: e.g. best entertainer, exercise guru, best fashionista, a welcoming committee award, best chef, etc etc.

Perhaps a list of awards could be created and then people can submit their nominations in each category to @wendyjane?

Thanks @wendyjane for the idea and for taking this on!
11 Dec 2013, 17:48
carorees wrote: We could have non-weightloss inspired awards too: e.g. best entertainer, exercise guru, best fashionista, a welcoming committee award, best chef, etc etc.

Perhaps a list of awards could be created and then people can submit their nominations in each category to @wendyjane?

Thanks @wendyjane for the idea and for taking this on!

I like @P-JK 's idea for a Hall of Fame - a section of the forum for awards. I like @Carorees 's idea of having more than just weight-loss awards - the ones she suggested are all good ones.

I think the whole award thing should be yearly, probably January, so we don't get caught up in a general and ongoing hug-fest. :smile:

BUT - shouldn't the person who "takes this on" be a mod who has access to all the stuff that the rest of us don't?

ALSO - I know this sounds like I'm squirming out of my own thing - but as you may have read on other threads - my Plan is to not be on the forum day and night after reaching goal (sometime in next two weeks for sure!). This sounds like a day and night responsibility. I need to be a) a lot more physically active and b) avoiding my addictive behaviors (never has been eating, actually, or drinking, but definitely playing on the computer).
11 Dec 2013, 18:05
Well, we've got a bit of time to plan this out so I'm sure there's some way we can do it without it becoming to massive a task for anyone (and if you prefer not to 'take it on' Wendyjane I totally understand!

I think first of all we need to work out a selection of categories (I shall set up a forum where we can discuss this a bit more) and then perhaps have a topic per category where users can nominate other members for a limited amount of time. If someone doesn't want to post their nom publicly then perhaps they can send it to me or a mod and we can post it on their behalf. Once the noms have closed then we can set up a poll (again, for X amount of time) for each category to allow users to vote anonymously for their faves in each. We could have 1st-3rd place and maybe an honourable mention?

Some category ideas, in addition to Caro's fab suggestions:

Most inspirational story
Most inspirational photos/transformation
Most encouraging user

Will try to set up the forum for planning this out later.

If we do it with topics it shouldn't be too much trouble for me to run it, with a little help from my friends :)
21 posts Page 1 of 2