The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
I want to explore various vitamins and minerals and whether we should try to get them from food intake (or if not possible through a supplement)

I want to go through all the various vitamins and minerals over a period of time.

Today I want to talk about Selenium. I bought a supplement yesterday but now thinking I probably didnt need to and to just watch out for food sources.

Your thoughts on Selenium? How you get it?. Why its important. Can you have too much.
Hi JR,I' ve read that it's very difficult for us to get enough selenium,something about soil quality is too poor these days..so doesnt sound very promising :confused:
CandiceMarie wrote: Hi JR,I' ve read that it's very difficult for us to get enough selenium,something about soil quality is too poor these days..so doesnt sound very promising :confused:

Just in case i grabbed a horrible green smelly selenium tablet just now and gulped it down with a sip of coffee.. I guess if it smells bad and looks bad it must be good for you
I remember reading that people on low carb diets might not get enough selenium because grains are a good source. I'm not sure how true it is...
Hi @marybeth ..i think you can get selenium from meat,fish and eggs too x
http://examine.com/supplements/Selenium/

Selenium is one of the 24 essential vitamins and minerals required for optimal human health. It is associated with increased intrinsic anti-oxidant capabilities and prevention of various forms of cancer, but has received notoriety due to its ability to promote cancer in higher dosages.

It is a part of many anti-oxidant enzymes, and is also the main factor in a web of 'selenoamino acids' which are amino acids bound to selenium which can serve as regulatory factors.

Selenium intake is also quite variable depending on soil quantities, so one global area may have different soil quantities than another area; thus for some persons supplementation is advisable.

An overall intake (foods and supplements) in the range of 200-300ug daily should be the goal for general health and well being with an emphasis on anti-carcinogenic properties.

A single brazil nut will contain just about all the selenium you need for a day. :)
HungerFitness wrote: http://examine.com/supplements/Selenium/

Selenium is one of the 24 essential vitamins and minerals required for optimal human health. It is associated with increased intrinsic anti-oxidant capabilities and prevention of various forms of cancer, but has received notoriety due to its ability to promote cancer in higher dosages.

It is a part of many anti-oxidant enzymes, and is also the main factor in a web of 'selenoamino acids' which are amino acids bound to selenium which can serve as regulatory factors.

Selenium intake is also quite variable depending on soil quantities, so one global area may have different soil quantities than another area; thus for some persons supplementation is advisable.

An overall intake (foods and supplements) in the range of 200-300ug daily should be the goal for general health and well being with an emphasis on anti-carcinogenic properties.

A single brazil nut will contain just about all the selenium you need for a day. :)

if i take 1 x brazil nut and 1 x selenium tablet.. have i OD'd

:shock: :shock: :shock:
I eat 2 brazil nuts a day minimum!
Eek, I must be getting way too much, I usually eat about 4 brazil nuts every day and more when I cook with them etc., not counting the other sources!
HungerFitness wrote: http://examine.com/supplements/Selenium/.

A single brazil nut will contain just about all the selenium you need for a day. :)[/quote]

That's the best bit @HungerFitness love Brazil nuts introduced them couple of weeks ago along with a biotin supplement in the hope of helping the hair loss many of us ladies seem to suffer with since 5:2. :clover:
not 100% sure but since taking selenium I had a bad bout of stomach upset. Read up on it and it may be that i was consuming on an empty stomach in teh morning of fast days. Along with Brazil nuts.. so maybe I overloaded.

i posted about it here. benefits-side-effects-f28/totally-tmi-but-am-i-really-the-only-one-t10938-30.html#p189058

basically will continue to take them but maybe only on non fast days (4 out of 7) and only at night.
11 posts Page 1 of 1