The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Spagetti Squash
05 Nov 2013, 17:23
I'm quite new to cooking Squashes, OH doesn't like them so I've never really experimented. I have seen (on the interweb!) pictures of Spagetti Squash and wondered if anyone had any tips for cooking them as they look like a good fast day alternative to Zero Noodles? :starving:
Re: Spagetti Squash
05 Nov 2013, 17:32
Here you go Sian http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipe-colle ... index.html
I have only really eaten them raw in salads, so don't really have a favourite to recommend.... some of these look quite nice though.
05 Nov 2013, 17:57
Thanks, I thought all those squash type things had to be cooked.
05 Nov 2013, 18:07
Oh Sian, funny you should mention this.... I have today just experimented with my first PUMPKIN! So many times in the past, I've dug out the seeds and string, carved a face and insert a tea light but this time I fancied COOKING one! I ran out of time but I did manage to make a low carb (paleo) ground almond/pumpkin and egg loaf, roasted the seeds and puree'd the rest which I will freeze into small portions for future use!

I'm ashamed to admit that I only started using butternut squashes for the first time this year too....

I don't think I can source a spaghetti squash or I'd deffo try those too...
05 Nov 2013, 18:25
Hi Sian, funnily enough I just bought 3 spaghetti squashes!

I halve them, then either microwave them or roast the halves in the oven until tender. Obviously first scrape out the seeds and stuff (roast the seeds - delicious).

After it's cooled a bit you can then just use a fork to scrape out the flesh and it comes away from the skin in strands. I use it very often as a spaghetti substitute, under a portion of bolognese or chilli, just salted a tad. Very low cal, low carb and so good for you!

I just bought 5 Hokkaido pumpkins too, since I noticed it's the end of the season and I LOVE pumpkin soup. Can't fathom not having any over the winter. Let's hope the pumpkins last!
05 Nov 2013, 19:03
I haven't tried spaghetti squash, I've never seen them for sale. I bought some seeds to grow them myself last year but couldn't do any gardening because of back pain. I hope the seeds will still be viable next year, my back has improved a bit since I lost some weight.
05 Nov 2013, 19:27
We had spaghetti squash last week, because our son wanted spaghetti and meatballs. It's a decent alternative to pasta (and I am *VERY* picky). I understand it doesn't taste good with heavy cream sauces, and I've never tried that myself. I would imagine it's divine with garlic oil and parmesan :-) But it worked with regular tomato sauce, italian meatballs and parm

Slice it in half, bake it cut side down on an oiled baking sheet at 180C/350F until soft. Mine was ready in about 50 minutes
05 Nov 2013, 19:37
Jamie Oliver was on telly today and he baked butternut squashes whole. No oil, nothing and with skin still on. The squash caramelises between the skin and the flesh all on its own. Very healthy mash I guess (with lots of roasted garlic). He used his in a pasta dish with spinach and feta baked in a tomato sauce. I bake mine cut in half, face down with lots of whole garlic cloves in the cavity and then mash it all together when ready.

I use butternut loads and last week roasted it in garlic, chilli flakes, red onion, radicchio, thyme and then topped off with blue cheese and pecans..
05 Nov 2013, 20:49
I personally can't stand the seeds and membranes, and I find them soooooo much easier to remove from a raw squash than a cooked one. I find the membranes to be a bit bitter.

My favorite way to have butternut squash is to cut it open, remove the membrane and seeds, peel it and cut it into cubes. Toss those in a bit of oil (I use sunflower seed) and roast the cubes until they're a bit browned, turning occasionally. You can toss the cubes in anything (pasta, risotto, soup, casseroles), you can season them with nearly anything (try creole/cajun seasoning or chili!) and serve them as a side dish. You can puree them with broth and it's a lovely light soup (even better, add onion and garlic sauteed in butter with thyme). So versatile!!
05 Nov 2013, 21:24
rawkaren wrote: Jamie Oliver was on telly today and he baked butternut squashes whole. No oil, nothing and with skin still on. The squash caramelises between the skin and the flesh all on its own. Very healthy mash I guess (with lots of roasted garlic). He used his in a pasta dish with spinach and feta baked in a tomato sauce. I bake mine cut in half, face down with lots of whole garlic cloves in the cavity and then mash it all together when ready.

I use butternut loads and last week roasted it in garlic, chilli flakes, red onion, radicchio, thyme and then topped off with blue cheese and pecans..

Interesting, just looked up the BNS for Jamie.... thats one for soups etc then !

Cheers :)
05 Nov 2013, 22:11
Am I a bit ditzy or does spaghetti squash go under a different name in the UK? And do supermarkets such a Tesco stock it? I really want to try it as a substitute to pasta. My best friend used to use it all the time when she was doing paelo.
05 Nov 2013, 22:24
rawkaren wrote: Jamie Oliver was on telly today and he baked butternut squashes whole. No oil, nothing and with skin still on. The squash caramelises between the skin and the flesh all on its own. Very healthy mash I guess (with lots of roasted garlic). He used his in a pasta dish with spinach and feta baked in a tomato sauce.

I made this ("Rotolo") - a couple of weeks ago and it was a huge success.... despite seeming to use ALL my pans and dishes in my kitchen. I have a photo on PB which I will post, but the site is down for maintenance tonight.... it was really tasty and even my husband ate it!!! :shock: (And I pre-roasted the butternut by just lobbing it whole in the oven, too....)
12 posts Page 1 of 1