The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Stress & IBS
08 Sep 2013, 17:08
Hi everyone

I am just wondering if there are any other long-term IBS sufferers on here.

I've hit a plateau and believe it's the family stress causing it at present. My IBS is off the charts at present. Don't want to go into the probs but there are changes happening that are causing the stress. :heart:

I've been taking the meds (Colpermint & Spasmonal Forte) again which I hadn't needed in 6 months but nothing really seems to help. :curse:

I am counting calories and making sure nothing sneeks in. I am staying away from any triggers but the pain won't go away and it's stopping me sleeping or waking me up in agony. neither helps to get things under control again. I am taking that much meds at present I feel like I am going to rattle if anyone is going to give me a shake. :cry:

Any ideas?

And no there is nothing I can do about the stress at present. It should sort itself out in the next 6 months or so.
Re: Stress & IBS
08 Sep 2013, 17:19
I found that most of my IBS was caused by a wheat intolerance. I went on a strict gluten free diet for 4 months. After that I reintroduced wheat in small amounts, but didn't go back to my wheat based cereal breakfast, bread for lunch and pasta, pizza or noodles for dinner based diet. Although not totally 'cured' I now no longer need medication for my condition, anytime it flares up now I can pinpoint what caused it.
It is worth having a go at, but you have to be ultra strict, even boullion cubes can have wheat in them. A 2 week trail will tell you if its wheat causing the problem.
08 Sep 2013, 17:31
Oh Alexandra, stress is sooo bad for you, I'm sorry you are having to go through this. The increase in cortisol caused by stress can interfere with weightloss, so I'm sure you're right that it is behind the plateau. If you find 500cal fast days are too challenging (there is a mild stress from fasting) I would give your body a break by actually aiming to maintain rather than lose weight. You could do this by allowing more cals on fast days or you might consider changing to a different form of intermittent fasting (you could try 16:8 fasting for example). This would help you to limit the stress coming from areas in your life that you can control.

Reducing carb intake may be of some help if you tend to eat a lot (though I suspect that such foods are the triggers you have already eliminated) because high carbs can cause bloating and inflammation. You might also avoid the fermentable foods (again I expect you know this) which can worsen bloating.

Any other kind of stress relief would be a good thing...give yourself some 'me time', do an exercise or other activity you really enjoy, lose yourself in a good book, watch some great comedy on TV. Be kind to yourself, tread water weight-wise and remember that the stress will soon pass.

Best of luck...
08 Sep 2013, 17:46
I really feel for you Aexandra,coz i know how painful IBS can be.
I now seem ( fingers crossed) free of it but it was definitely worse than any pain i have ever known,including childbirth..
mine stopped as abruptly as it started but i suffered for a few years and i have no idea what made it stop,apart from the usual giving up wheaty things,which gradually i have found myself able to tolerate again

I took Colpermin and Mebeverine..maybe you could give Mebeverine a try?
That is the only advice i can add to Caro and Julie's responses.
my best wishes for your rapid recovery xxxx
10 Sep 2013, 08:36
Thank you for the kind responses.

Unfortunately I have already tried all of the suggested.

I believe Caro is right and I am just going to have to take it easier. I usually do make time for myself but at present everything is just getting on top of me.

I am going to give Julie's suggestion a go but not until this stress is at least a bit more sorted. I just couldn't handle this at present even though I believe that there is a lot of truth in her advice.
5 posts Page 1 of 1