The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

11 posts Page 1 of 1
I have grappled with a sugar addiction my whole life. I have recently taken an extended high dose course of antibiotics, and have been supplementing with some heavy duty probiotics to counteract any negative effects. Interestingly, I have found that my sugar cravings have DRAMATICALLY reduced since doing this, even before I was fasting, which has made fasting easier. It has been interesting then to see very recent reports of yoghurt and probiotic supplements as helping in weight loss and other things recently.

For what it is worth I take high dose multi strain versions of lactobacillus and acidophilus, and I also take Saccharomyces Boulardii which is particularly recommended for but health while taking antibiotics.
Haha, not but or even butt health. GUT health...
But presumably it would help both? :wink:
I ahve been on pro biotics for nearly a year they help and means I can have the occasional egg without the whole family wearing gas masks. It was that bad. I haven't notice any difference in my cravings though.
Interesting!

I found this study on lactobacillus and appetite-controlling hormones in rats: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23850967

So it could be that the probiotic has done something!

There are lots of studies of the yeast (saccharomyces) as a treatment for diarrhoea and irritable bowel syndrome.
I have found some further scientific publications, including one which provides evidence of weight loss in people supplementing with pro bs. I will try to dig them out when I am not on my iPad...
Can post this link to the abstract of a recent human study involving lactobacillus rhamnosus http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24299712

Interestingly, this is one of the generic strains in my main pro b, but I am not clear whether the subspecies matters...
I have a box of probiotics but haven't been taking them recently, is there a time of day that is more beneficial? Can they be taken with other vitamins? Should they be washed down with some dairy or do you avoid dairy too soon after? With or without food?
@Betsygr8 from what (little) I understand it really doesn't matter when or how you take them, though some advise to take on an empty stomach or before food. But I have read lots of mixed advice, the most scientific of which seems to say doesn't matter... I just take with water between meals a couple of times a day....
11 posts Page 1 of 1