The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

14 posts Page 1 of 1
symptoms of hypoglycemia
20 Sep 2013, 11:01
Hi all

Any of you reading my blog will know I experienced symptoms of hypoglycemia yesterday during the day while doing 16:8. I am on another 16:8 and about to break my fast but am concerned to realise that the same thing is about to happen again. I've just gulped down some water to test if I can avoid going into the whole shakes thing but has anyone got some tips other than sucking boiled sweets as I believe sucking sweets brings you out of fat burning mode? This is the second day in a row I've gotten it and it's annoying me
Re: symptoms of hypoglycemia
20 Sep 2013, 11:19
How about breaking your fast with a slow release carb? Something like porridge oats or a banana? It will give an initial boost, then subside to a sustainable level.
20 Sep 2013, 12:35
Kudos on those runs!

Had a quick look at your blog and a couple of things rang wee alarum bells:

1) Skim milk on a repair day - cows milk (probably other animal milk too) has IGF-1 in it which clearly gets into your blood stream; one of the benefits of fasting is a reduction in IGF-1 (the go-go marker). You might want to try almond milk?

2) You graze on carbs... Aaaaaaargh! Especially on a fast day, when you might well be in fat burning mode (ketosis), you'd be an awfy lot better grazing on cheese or nuts (anything high fat, medium protein, low carb).

The real techy gurus will no doubt be along, but (it would seem to me) that your 'hypoglycemic' episode could be indicative of metabolic inflexibility - i.e. you're not switching into fat burning mode very easily. Avoid the carbs and this might ease off. Worth a try.

All the best, FatDog.
20 Sep 2013, 12:39
you could be right about the cars. Just to say, since I posted that I felt I was going into hypoglycemia, I ate my lunch. This was a wholegrain bagel with cheese, white rice with sechzuan sauce but this time I added tuna. WHile I seem to have avoided a major low, I can feel it tingling in arms and stuff and feel a bit disoriented. So I've just eaten a banana. I am now overfull but my sugars don't seem to be rising. I am defo going to switch to almond milk as I like it anyway to be honest so thanks for that. Maybe Ill cut down on carbs and substitute more protein.

Any other advice would be appreciated :sleepy: :shock: :?: :frown: :frown: :frown:
20 Sep 2013, 12:51
Here is a perspective that might be helpful http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-doe ... z2fR8qBTdQ
20 Sep 2013, 12:56
That is why I won't do 16/8, even though a dear friend is doing it. Today is my fast day, and I'll be drinking lots of milky tea (to fit into my 500 cals) from early morning on.

I know what it's like to suffer from hypoglycemia; it's not funny, and I won't ever risk it. I hope you're feeling better.
20 Sep 2013, 13:41
wow that article was really informative. Its clear I am coasting on sugar. I've actually even just eaten a donut to try bring up my sugars. I still feel crap. Even though I've actually eaten so much food and feel over full my sugars feel low still. Now I'm a bit freaked out as I have a 17mile run in 3 hours and I'm afraid I won't be able for it.

So who has information on how to switch from sugar burning to fat burning because I clearly need to do that?
20 Sep 2013, 14:12
Just for another update, I looked up how to bring sugars back up on the American Diabetes website. And they recommended simple carbs such as glass of 1%milk or nuts or raisons. I tried the milk and while I am so full I could get sick, it seems to have brought me up a bit and I defo feel better. I will have another glass of milk later but I think I need some help in what I'm eating as I'm sure I could stick with 16:8 if I ould just become a fat burner as opposed to glucose burner. Does anyone know how as the info on the net appears to scant
20 Sep 2013, 14:49
Hi jmousey, regarding your 17 mile run today. If you have been struggling with low blood sugar I don't see how you will be able to manage a long run later. I replied to one of your previous posts about not recommending fasting/dieting whilst in the later stages of training for a marathon - why are you doing it to yourself?
I will read your blog when I get time to see what you have done up to now but I will be very surprised if you do manage to finish your run today if you are not fat-adapted and low on glycogen. Good luck, though...
20 Sep 2013, 14:51
I did a quick search on Mark's daily apple (how to become a fat burner) and these caught my eye and might answer your questions. https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... TbBsURtgIQ

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... CdHGxRMpbQ
20 Sep 2013, 15:00
Right - read the blog. My advice as follows - stop all thoughts of dieting until the marathon is out of the way, and try to reduce the amount of carbs in your diet - you need more fat and protein, things which take a bit of digesting, rather than the instant hits of sugary sweets and grain products. Tonight's run would need about 1500 - 1600 calories and you do not apparently have that in reserve and you would not want to eat a boxfull of gels as you run...
16:8 will work to get you adapted, I'm sure, but your training requires you to be fully loaded up all the time at present!
20 Sep 2013, 15:08
As soon as I read your post I thought "metabolic inflexibility" and was pleased to see that FatDog and CreakyPete agreed with me!

The approaches in the links to Mark's Daily Apple on how to become fat adapted are good. Fasting plus low carb is the key. I think that the reason 16:8 works for me is that I am keeping carbs lowish, while eating plenty of fats, especially coconut oil. If you don't keep carbs low, the 16 hour fast is not enough to enter fat burning mode. But each of us is different, some can handle more carbs than others.

First steps are to see what your daily carb intake is at the moment and try to cut it down (I'd suggest a reduction of at least 50g or to 150g whichever is lowest). On fast days try to keep carbs to an absolute minimum...30g if you can. Also try to incorporate coconut oil into your diet...it can encourage the body to start using ketones for energy. Also, try not to let your 8-hour eating window run too late in the evening. Aim to finish eating before 8pm...your body naturally tends towards fat burning overnight so it's important not to derail this tendency by having carbs in the evening. Exercising while fasting, particularly low-moderate intensity exercise will encourage fat burning.

You'll need to work out how to time this adaptation process because as CreakyPete says, it can't be done in conjunction with marathon running...you need to be fat adapted before you attempt marathon running without carb loading.

Good luck!
23 Sep 2013, 10:28
Ok guys - Creakpete thanks for the advice. I'm doing this while running the marathon to try and get down a few pounds but I'm not doing it the day of long runs. I only recently reintroduced carbs to my diet and I think my body has reacted badly to be honest. I need to become a fat buring machine so I'm going to take a different approach to this. Those articles are all so helpful so thank you so much for all your help - I was getting freaked out there. :like:
14 posts Page 1 of 1