The FastDay Forum

General 5:2 and Fasting Chat

19 posts Page 2 of 2
@JillM, my understanding is that 5.2 (aka intermittent fasting) can help with diabetes, particularly "pre-diabetes." I have it in my family and avoiding that is more important to me than being skinny.

I know a lot of people here choose to limit carbs. For me, the sustainability of this WOL is more important than being "perfect" or "ideal"--that is, if I can't keep up with it, it is pointless; as I like to say, why lose weight you can't keep off? (Been there, done that, got a whole DRAWERFUL of T-shirts!) So, on normal days I eat "normally"; I do eat fairly healthy--I am vegetarian (years before 5.2), don't eat high fructose corn syrup, soda, or artificial flavors, colors, or sweeteners...DO drink beer (wine and hard liquor too, but mostly beer), eat bread, cheese... I haven't gotten down to the weight I'd "like" to be at, but I have kept off 32lbs without stressing out about it, first time I've maintained that kind of loss for this long. Now, I don't have beer, bread, or cheese (well, except for a tablespoon of parmesan) on light days; broccoli, eggs, and Beyond Meat Chickenless strips are mainstays.
Morning jillm, I just wanted to congratulate your daughter on her attitude to life - if she is already learning, at 15, to gravitate towards her more supportive friends and away from the negative ones then she will have a much happier life in general . Well done to you too, you must have had a great influence on her. Don't be too hard on her friends though, even intelligent well informed adults find it hard to accept that there really is a healthy and almost painless way to successfully lose weight and gain many health benefits. ...If she continues her friends will be forced to accept that she is succeeding. All the best to both of you
JillM wrote: My partner is doing something similar but I'm not allowed to talk to him about it - completely taboo subject. He's doing high fat / high protein / low carb, mainly for pre-diabetes. But he keeps sneaking in carbs, which as far as I can make out turns it into a regular high calorie diet. He wonders why he's not losing any weight. :?:

A low carb diet is not at all forgiving of "cheating" I'm afraid...unlike fasting :-)
sorry to hear that, but I am in that situation now. Im have no idea to get rid of this. :(
19 posts Page 2 of 2