4%
Poor cook and learning.
5%
I consider convenience food to be cheaper
No votes
Kids snacks and lunch boxes
4%
Total votes : 82

I like to cook, but my repertoire is very limited. I tend to fixate on things. I've been surviving on the same 2-3 fast day meals* for over 7 months now, and my non-fast day meals tend to be similar. I used to eat a lot of convenience foods, but decided to cut out/down processed stuff in general. A lot of convenience food in Japan is healthy--like rice balls with nori and some filling. They're made fresh daily so I don't think they're full of preservatives. I occasionally eat something like that when I'm on the go--much better than McDonalds! When I didn't live in Japan, I would go for convenient foods like hummus and taramasalata. Again… reasonably healthy, I think.

Also, I sometimes fix things rather than cook things. Like salads. Or babaghanoush (a little cooking there).

Finally, I am most definitely a baker. But I only do that for parties. Right now my kitchen smells like cake. I've backed this pineapple banana cake three times in the last month or two. Everyone here loves it and is mightily impressed I don't use cake mixes. I think they're being silly. I just follow the recipe.

I ticked poor cook but learning. By that I mean trying to expand my repertoire.

One thing that drives me absolute bonkers when trying new recipes: having to go to many shops for the ingredients. And these days, not being able to find things in Okinawa. So I guess another thing I'd like to improve is an ability to substitute--to have a good feeling for what will go well together.

*stir fry with chicken, Mexican pizza, and sashimi (though the last one very infrequently lately)
It depends on your definite of convenience food really. To me it means packet/frozen meals, ready peeled potatoes etc etc. I wouldn't consider things like mayonnaise etc to fall into that category as most of us don't get a chance to make it, except on special occasions.

I adore cooking, looking at food, eating it, thinking about it. To think of food as just fuel for the body would be terrible; it is something to share, enjoy, create. I bake when I am stressed, happy, have friends round.While I have been unemployed I have been baking like a fury, but still losing weight!!!

My other half cooks as well so we both get to have a crack in the kitchen. I guess though if I had spent 20+ years plonking food every day on the table for ungrateful teenagers maybe I would feel a little differently!!

Yep, this is the foodies way to lose weight for me!
I love to cook. I love to bake. I checked both of the first two because I also buy convenience items either for the kids, for a night where we have too many activities or because I have a coupon that makes them almost free. I don't think we all fit neatly into boxes. There are way too many reasons for gaining weight to say the general consensus is...anything. Each person can have several different bad habits that contribute to weight gain.
We (hubby and I share this task) generally cook dinner "from scratch", have sandwiches (him), salad (me) for lunch and cereal (him) for brekkie. We buy baked foods (eg sweet and savoury biscuits) and chocolate, crisps, etc... (Not so much of the latter as we once did!) Our young adult sons who live with us do buy convenience meals however, if we are not around to prepare dinner.

But I am definitely no cook, and am very envious of all of you who are! I guess because we have always cooked very plainly, then that is what the males in this household prefer - particularly older son who refuses to eat anything apart from the most plain of meals. (If we serve something he doesn't like, he won't eat it, and then eats even more of the less healthy food that he consumes during the rest of the day. So cooking a plain meal - ie meat and 5 veg - is the only way to ensure he consumes something reasonable each day.)

Also, I guess due to lack of practice?? usually if I try something new, it doesn't turn out well. Which puts me off trying. (Excuses, excuses, I know!! :D )

So I couldn't work out what response to tick...
34 posts Page 3 of 3