Poor cook and learning.
5%
I consider convenience food to be cheaper
No votes
Kids snacks and lunch boxes
4%
Total votes : 82

edit

I haven't ticked a box because I don't see one appropriate to some one who treats food, shall we say, functionally.

I'm certainly not a "Good Cook but don't like cooking" by any means.
Did a long reply which then disappeared, so not sure if I have voted either!

I am one who adores cooking - work with food all day, prepare meals from scratch in the evening (sometimes separate ones for hub and me if it's a fast day), happy to whip up a three course meal in the caravan to 'entertain'!
But also, when needs must (and that will be a few weekends up to Christmas, as I'm so busy) I buy a Charlie Bigham ready meal from Waitrose and a veggies 'side' or two. Convenience is what it says on the tin.... or box!
I try to strike a balance between cooking from scratch most of the time but having a few ready meals, tins or convenience food in the freezer or cupboard for days when I just can't be bothered, maybe feel under the weather or need something for hubby to make quickly for himself if I'm out with friends.
I have tons of cookery books and really enjoy finding new recipes to try and can put on a good spread when entertaining.
callyanna wrote: I try to strike a balance between cooking from scratch most of the time but having a few ready meals, tins or convenience food in the freezer or cupboard for days when I just can't be bothered, maybe feel under the weather or need something for hubby to make quickly for himself if I'm out with friends.
I have tons of cookery books and really enjoy finding new recipes to try and can put on a good spread when entertaining.

Same here!
I love cooking and experimenting with new recipes. Over the years I have probably eaten far too many carbs, as I enjoy the feeling of fullness. Fortunately I seem to be losing that.
I've ticked the convenience foods because I buy things like crisps, bread and oven chips for my husband - and salad cream, ketchup and mayonnaise - I'm guessing these are all the things you meant rather than ready-meals? Or am I being too picky? My own food is always cooked from scratch.... even my breakfast isn't a fortified cereal - just Sainsburys plain jumbo oats.
I'm an ok cook and try to cook real food for myself when I can. But, I am single and live alone, so sometimes it's hard to do that. I also don't have enough time. If I had more time, I would like to cook more!
I cook. A lot. Not in quantities but more like 353 days per year. I have no clue what you mean by connivance food. But I cook most often from scratch (can cook up some mean sauces), but that doesn't stop me from weekday cooking with a ready made pizza or pie dough, meatballs ready to fry and an occasional taco meal. The main reason for this is not a missy goodie two shoe, but the fact that I mostly detest ready made food from the freezer etc. Home made taste soooo much better :)
I cook every day and make almost everything from scratch including many things most people would probably not consider making, such as granola, yogurt, pasta, ice cream, mayonnaise, bread, biscuits, cake, etc etc.

I do, however, very occasionally buy an Indian take away.

And, as you all know, all that home cooking did not prevent me from reaching morbid obesity levels!
Food preparation is my go to zone to chill out, it grounds me. Saw some beautiful peaches the other day and instantly thought ummm peach chutney. So I pickle preserve and make jam often. Mainly give away my concoctions as gifts since 5:2. So working away in my kitchen is my 365 day rock. Every day I am cooking, always something from my salad and veggie fridge drawers and gleanings from my herb garden with something my spice drawer or larder involved. I do have some ready made bottled things but often make similar fresh from scratch too eg mayo, tomato sauce

I stacked on my extra padding with a collision of having a baby on the cusp of menopause, giving up smoking, sedentary but stressful job and with all that to juggle I ate for energy to get through each day.
Like PennyForthem , I posted a reply and it too disappeared into thin air / cyberspace !?!?!?! (summarised version now coming up . . . )

I love cooking , and keep a supply of homemade 5:2 ratatouille and tomato sauce in the freezer to add to chicken or salmon fillets for Fast Days. I rarely buy convenience foods. However , browsing in M&S's food department today , I came across their " Count on Us " ready meals, and decided on impulse to try their Vegetarian Moussaka. ( I'm not veggie, incidentally - I think the 260 calories swayed my decision!! ) Had it tonight , with lots of extra steamed veg as usual ( broccoli, cauliflower , carrot etc.). I was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it was , and quite filling , so might try others on the range , for a bit of variety. OH enjoyed it too. . . . .

So I concede that, although I prefer cooking from scratch , there's a place for the occasional low-cal ready meal in my kitchen. . . . . . . .
Not that I ever was really overweight, but I'm a decent cook, and do all the cooking at home, all from scratch.

OK, perhaps not snacks for the weekend, cheese, salami or other niceties I pick from the store, or icecream and more desserty stuff.

It was different when I was living alone, no point in putting any effort into food just for yourself.

My girlfriend, like most women I've been with, doesn't enjoy cooking much and relied mostly on convenience food before I was in the picture, horrible. But she does have kitchen talent and can manage if she has to.

It seems more of a man thing to take pride in your kitchen skills nowadays. I too often hear women almost brag about how useless they are in the kitchen, which tend to annoy me a bit. A grown up person should want to feel capable, I see cooking as a part of basic life skills regardless of gender.
I have become increasingly obsessive about making things from scratch. This year I have progressed to making pasta, butter and creme fraiche. Last year it was yogurt and muesli. I have never bought pastry and I can even make puff pastry. I haven't bought bread for years. Being obsessed with food, it has made me fat. This 5:2 diet is certainly a foodies diet because it allows me to keep my obsession, and lose weight. Other diets have been impossible for me because they expected me to modify some part of my life which brings me joy and deep satisfaction.
I am quite happy to cook because we need to eat, but no way would anybody describe me as a foodie which I see as being totally different from just cooking. It implies a much greater interest in food in all it's aspects than I have, but I am not sure that you have to cook to be a foodie.
I love to cook but I work full-time and study part-time so my time is precious. So I use convenience foods as part of my cooking - frozen veg, canned beans, pre-cut veg etc. But I think there should be a difference between using these sorts of things vs. eating overly-processed stuff, full of sodium and whatnot.

The Boy and I tried Lite 'n Easy last year and while it was convenient having the food delivered, I missed cooking and we both got really bored with the food. I love my cookbooks and thinking of new things to make for dinner.

Yes, food is fuel but food is also delicious and fun to make and enjoy.
34 posts Page 2 of 3